sohojacques

P.43 ter: it ain't too shabby

22 posts in this topic

After the disappointment of the tier 6 I really enjoyed this grind. Good mobility. Decent gun handling. 240 alpha so can trade with tier 8 MTs when needs must. Plus tier 7 MM. What's not to like? 

Pitiful review I know. But this Itai subsection needs serious resuscitation.

Strange vehicle. I generally remember having much better time playing it (during +/- 50 battles needed to grind through it) compared to t6, while having only 45% wr compared to 65% one tier lower. Memory works in strange way. 

I enjoy it, the 240 alpha makes it a very usable machine and it racks up the damage quite quickly. A shitty game ends up with 1k damage and you can lose all your HP to start and end up with 1.6k very easily.

The shell velocity though its basically a potato catapult and even with APCR its like playing golf, which is my only real complaint which only really matters when you are shooting at over 200m. 

I really enjoyed this thank, comfortable overall and damage racks up surprisingly quickly. Not a keeper but a nice memory even though i went from alomst 65% w/r at tier 6 to not even 49% in this. As Ozjasz said memory works in strange ways...

14 hours ago, Hîr-am-Helcaraxë said:

I really enjoyed this thank, comfortable overall and damage racks up surprisingly quickly. Not a keeper but a nice memory even though i went from alomst 65% w/r at tier 6 to not even 49% in this. As Ozjasz said memory works in strange ways...

There's more to enjoying a tank, than just pure winrate, though winning is clearly a major contribution to enjoyment. Personally, I enjoy driving underpowered or quirky tanks, as I have the feeling that what I invest in terms of thinking and tactics tells more about my skill than, say, driving an IS3 and having a 60% winrate. Doing that in a Black Prince, Chi-Ri or a Panther shows much more what I'm made of, imo.

But even to me, there are tanks that are just frustrating. Usually it's tanks that should be good and easy to drive to success, but just aren't for some reason that I can not put my finger on. E.g. the italian T5, T6 and, to some degree, the T7. They have clear strengths that you can work with, but they just didn't work for me and I couldn't find a way to drive them to a degree that I consider skillful.

For some reason I liked tier 6 more than this, maybe because I had such a rough start in this tank hoovering near 30% winrate and generally feeling I don't contribute anything in battles for first 20-30 games. I managed to climb to exactly 50% (had 71,4% in tier 6) by the time I was done with it. It's not that bad, but like most tier 7's, it sure isn't anything special.

Liked both the 6 and 7. Now on the 8, which is also good.  I kept the 7 to train a second Italian crew along with Gigi. I am anticipating that I will want to keep both the 9 and the 10.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, MagicalFlyingFox said:

I enjoy it, the 240 alpha makes it a very usable machine and it racks up the damage quite quickly. A shitty game ends up with 1k damage and you can lose all your HP to start and end up with 1.6k very easily.

Funnily enough my first Ace Tanker this this thing came in exactly that kind of match. Top tier on Province, I potatoed down the slope to the other side and clipped into the cliff, rolling my tank and doing 700~odd damage to myself 30 seconds into the match. Went to do to 3k damage and carry the team to victory, which was quite funny.

As for the tank, it is a huge improvement over the tier 6. Mobility is better, the gun is the same but even the stock version handles better, the upgraded version gets just enough pen to compensate for the higher tier and still handles pretty decent. Not outstanding but well balanced and certainly not a chore to grind through, which I am part-way through currently.

On 8/26/2018 at 6:25 PM, sohojacques said:

After the disappointment of the tier 6 I really enjoyed this grind. Good mobility. Decent gun handling. 240 alpha so can trade with tier 8 MTs when needs must. Plus tier 7 MM. What's not to like? 

Pitiful review I know. But this Itai subsection needs serious resuscitation.

lowtier big alpha med guns get fucked shell speed for some reason. The 3002D, which is probably the next closest thing @ tier 7, gets something like 770 shell speed - which is actually slower than the Type's derp if you'd believe it

On 9/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, lavawing said:

lowtier big alpha med guns get fucked shell speed for some reason. The 3002D, which is probably the next closest thing @ tier 7, gets something like 770 shell speed - which is actually slower than the Type's derp if you'd believe it

That isn't consistently true - the T20 and T-34-1 both have similar alpha (240 and 250 respectively) but have much better shell velocities, and of course the T20 can dial up that glorious prem round for a significant boost to shell velocity when sniping.  The P.43 ter has easily the lowest velocity of the tech tree tier 7s.

2 hours ago, Tanager said:

The P.43 ter has easily the lowest velocity of the tech tree tier 7s.

Yet I felt like it’s gun rewarded aiming. While the T20 sprays shots regardless.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:11 PM, sohojacques said:

Yet I felt like it’s gun rewarded aiming. While the T20 sprays shots regardless.

I'll be curious to see if that's true for me when I unlock this.  I just finished 3-marking the T20, and on paper it certainly has better accuracy (full try-hard gets you to .34, which is plenty good, IIRC stock it's something like .36 or .37 compared to the ter's .4).  But the T20 does have uncharacteristically (for the line) high bloom, and maybe that's what you were experiencing?  It's more than mobile enough that the bloom can hurt, and the aim time on the T20, while not slow, is not lightning-fast, either.  Anywho, I'm about halfway through the tier 6 grind, and thus far I'm looking forward to this one, based on what I've read here.

@Tanager 

Only two marked it but I think it’s a great tank despite the derpy gun. T20 and Lorr 40t (430 and 430U at the other end of the spectrum) are proof to me that different tanks run on different shot distribution within the reticle algorithms.

5 hours ago, sohojacques said:

T20 and Lorr 40t (430 and 430U at the other end of the spectrum) are proof to me that different tanks run on different shot distribution within the reticle algorithms.

I tend to shy away from what feel like tinfoil hat ideas, but...I get the same feeling about the 430.  That thing hits things it has NO business hitting.  Snapshot scout on the move?  Why not!

@Tanager Just to clarify I'm not claiming the ter is a good sniper...it ain't. But settle the reticle when rocking back and forth/brawling and the gun felt like it behaved pretty well/didn't spray a lot of shots.

Playing the 430/430U back to back with my Lorr 40t for credits is an eyeopening experience. I wondering if, while final accuracy effects reticle size, bloom values effect the likelihood of the shell flying true? Some kind of sliding scale for likely shell distribution within the reticle? Cause both the 430s have crazy good bloom values. 

Finished my grind on this tank just recently. 85 games, 60% win rate. 1,337 average damage, which is the best of my tier 7 meds and close to on par with some of my tier 7 heavies.

Overall, my earlier opinion still stands. It's a decent, well-balanced medium. Nothing outstanding but nothing particularly crippling about it either. The gun is just about good enough for the platform and tier, although gun handling, particularly at long range, leaves something to be desired. It has just about enough armour to troll things when top tier. It has just about enough mobility to do what it needs to do. Certainly something that can be made to work, but overall the package just isn't particularly interesting, hence moving on fairly quickly. If you're desperately looking for a tier 7 medium to hang onto, it might be worth keeping.

4 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Finished my grind on this tank just recently. 85 games, 60% win rate. 1,337 average damage, which is the best of my tier 7 meds and close to on par with some of my tier 7 heavies.

Overall, my earlier opinion still stands. It's a decent, well-balanced medium. Nothing outstanding but nothing particularly crippling about it either. The gun is just about good enough for the platform and tier, although gun handling, particularly at long range, leaves something to be desired. It has just about enough armour to troll things when top tier. It has just about enough mobility to do what it needs to do. Certainly something that can be made to work, but overall the package just isn't particularly interesting, hence moving on fairly quickly. If you're desperately looking for a tier 7 medium to hang onto, it might be worth keeping.

how does the 3002d compare? I dig the look of both tanks tbh

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

Assuming a liberal use of APCR on the 30.02 D, it becomes a question of higher alpha, better gun handling, and thicker armor on the P.43 ter versus somewhat better gun depression, faster shell velocity, and higher HP on the 30.02 D.

23 hours ago, lavawing said:

I've actually not played the 30.02D, so unfortunately can't give you a comparison.

My only other tier 7 mediums are the Leo, the T-43, the Comet and the Panther (the latter of which was my first ever line so my experience was pretty awful). The Comet I ground out a long time ago and before it's turret got nerfed to garbage. The Leo I ground out recently, and I would say the P.43 ter is significantly better. While it's not as mobile and has lower alpha, it has a far more reliable gun. From recollection I found the T-43 grind to be more fun, somehow the package had more positives in key areas, but my stats are better in the P.43 ter and I played almost double the number of games in it compared to the T-43 so it may just bit a case of rose-tinted glasses.