Panzerkind

I seem to be washed up

14 posts in this topic

So, I recently got back into playing tanks. I have played here and there along the way, but it has really been almost a year since I was playing tanks consistently. I took about a  year hiatus for a number of reasons, most notably work. 

I have been playing tanks again for about a month, and I really suck now. I mean, by server-wide standards, my recent stats are great, solidly in the purple, but by my past self standards, I am trash. I used to easily hold a recent WN8 in the 3000-3200 range  and  had an all-time best of about 3500 back when I was in YOUJO. Now, I'm sitting around 2500, and even on my best days I am only getting like 2700-2800. 

The game has changed a not insignificant amount since I was active I suppose with new maps, reworks, new tanks, so I guess a lot of it is just that I'm not used to fighting certain vehicles, or positioning on certain maps,.

I've noticed that my number one problem is that I have most of my bad games because I push too far out too soon/ fall back too late, or push out too late/fall back too soon, so that's something I'm really working on. 

I know I have it in me to get back to where I once was. There are some players who get those stats effortlessly, and that's great for them, but I am not that good. I have to TRY to get those stats.

Anyone else have any advice for what helped you find your groove when you were rusty,?

29 minutes ago, Panzerkind said:

Anyone else have any advice for what helped you find your groove when you were rusty,?

Play a light tank and farm damage = insta 4k+.

Honestly tho, i suspect as the meta changes many maps develop more and more campy playstyles. To the point where both teams appear more happy to wait for someone else to make a move so they can punish rather than take a risk themselves. The maps without easy exits from key areas are particularly painful in this regard. As to the timings of when and where you need to be, i guess it's a one of those map things. Check it, check it often. If you have a spare moment try to also check your neighbours hit points etc. and just be patient. We almost never see a 'i just came back, and bugger me WoT is easy now' threads...

43 minutes ago, Ezz said:

We almost never see a 'i just came back, and bugger me WoT is easy now' threads...

and yet ironically enough every time i come back after a good long break i do better.

though i suspect its mostly due to me being much more clam and collected: aka me not caring as much. but ofc that only lasts so long before my patience runs out and i rage quit again.

as for  @Panzerkind i suggest playing a little less aggressive for a bit, while it may not seem like the game has changed much, the general play-style of the players definitely has.

like Ezz already mentioned. Everybody is a massive pussy now and will wait for you to make the first move/take the initial hit.

1 hour ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

as for  @Panzerkind i suggest playing a little less aggressive for a bit, 

This is good advice. My somewhat obsolete playstyle used to perfect for the kinds of tanks I like to play the most (rumeds, fast heavies), which was always very aggressive.  The way a lot of the maps and meta used to be, I could get away with rushing into a position, farming early damage, and then pulling out or holding it if I get sufficient support. 

Now, it seems like the playstyle is much more campy and aggressive players who take lynchpin positions have a hard time getting out if it's too hot. 

You're washed up? I came back to the game after a year and shit feels unbelievably different.

Maps are modeled differently, everything is in HD and there are parts of maps either missing, moved, or changed entirely and it throws my timings off entirely. Add on that with the new tanks I didn't bother looking into before playing, and I'm sitting there wandering around these new maps either getting clipped for 1500 by a med (progetto ftw?), or fucked up in a brawl by one of the multiple new russian tanks (and they all seem to have a fuck ton of armor for no reason, including the god damn meds) that are made of Stalinium and have hardly any frontal weakspots. 

Not to mention arty, I mean holy fuck every game I'm taking at LEAST 3 arty shots. Not that it's much different from where I left off, but in all honesty it feels like only people with less than a 50% winrate are left playing this game and I get focused because of it. Seriously though, anyone still playing arty at this point in the game can suck the biggest dick.

Capture.PNG

On 9/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, Panzerkind said:

So, I recently got back into playing tanks. I have played here and there along the way, but it has really been almost a year since I was playing tanks consistently. I took about a  year hiatus for a number of reasons, most notably work. 

I have been playing tanks again for about a month, and I really suck now. I mean, by server-wide standards, my recent stats are great, solidly in the purple, but by my past self standards, I am trash. I used to easily hold a recent WN8 in the 3000-3200 range  and  had an all-time best of about 3500 back when I was in YOUJO. Now, I'm sitting around 2500, and even on my best days I am only getting like 2700-2800. 

The game has changed a not insignificant amount since I was active I suppose with new maps, reworks, new tanks, so I guess a lot of it is just that I'm not used to fighting certain vehicles, or positioning on certain maps,.

I've noticed that my number one problem is that I have most of my bad games because I push too far out too soon/ fall back too late, or push out too late/fall back too soon, so that's something I'm really working on. 

I know I have it in me to get back to where I once was. There are some players who get those stats effortlessly, and that's great for them, but I am not that good. I have to TRY to get those stats.

My game has suffered greatly since I came back.  I mean, horribly.  I'm oh-so-slowly clawing back some skills, but I expect I'm overextending early on as well.  I place a lot of value on grabbing key terrain early and even slowing the enemy's advance toward key terrain if I can, but I think I'm overdoing it.

21 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

You're washed up? I came back to the game after a year and shit feels unbelievably different.

Maps are modeled differently, everything is in HD and there are parts of maps either missing, moved, or changed entirely and it throws my timings off entirely. Add on that with the new tanks I didn't bother looking into before playing, and I'm sitting there wandering around these new maps either getting clipped for 1500 by a med (progetto ftw?), or fucked up in a brawl by one of the multiple new russian tanks (and they all seem to have a fuck ton of armor for no reason, including the god damn meds) that are made of Stalinium and have hardly any frontal weakspots. 

Not to mention arty, I mean holy fuck every game I'm taking at LEAST 3 arty shots. Not that it's much different from where I left off, but in all honesty it feels like only people with less than a 50% winrate are left playing this game and I get focused because of it. Seriously though, anyone still playing arty at this point in the game can suck the biggest dick.

Capture.PNG

Arty hits ridiculously often now.  I regularly have arty drop rounds on me while moving - it's entirely common for me to get three-shot by arty while I'm moving and turning if they decide to focus on me.

Keeping on the move doesn't suffice to avoid arty now; you either have to be under hard cover or else go unspotted for a while so they focus somebody else, because they will hit you regularly if they choose to focus you.

In addition to the ridiculous arty splash radius, the new personal campaigns require arty. That requirement along with the rush to get the campaign done before the next one opens means there is a lot of arty out there. WG found a way to take the most hated class and make it worse.  At least, they are good at something.

15 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

My game has suffered greatly since I came back.  I mean, horribly.  I'm oh-so-slowly clawing back some skills, but I expect I'm overextending early on as well.  I place a lot of value on grabbing key terrain early and even slowing the enemy's advance toward key terrain if I can, but I think I'm overdoing it.

Arty hits ridiculously often now.  I regularly have arty drop rounds on me while moving - it's entirely common for me to get three-shot by arty while I'm moving and turning if they decide to focus on me.

Keeping on the move doesn't suffice to avoid arty now; you either have to be under hard cover or else go unspotted for a while so they focus somebody else, because they will hit you regularly if they choose to focus you.

I was with you in a game yesterday, and you rushed to a not-so-key spot early without support and without really a plan on what to do when you get there. Just slow it down, relearn the maps, and things will flow from there.

4 hours ago, sr360 said:

I was with you in a game yesterday, and you rushed to a not-so-key spot early without support and without really a plan on what to do when you get there. Just slow it down, relearn the maps, and things will flow from there.

Yeah, I really did get overly aggressive.  With meds I sometimes like to try and control that hill, but I think it's too exposed.  I got blapped hard.

I learned early on that getting aggressive pays off, and I've always had trouble with being too aggressive as a result.

On 9/13/2018 at 6:36 PM, Kolni said:

when i came back from my hiatus it was literally like nothing changed, a day or two to adjust and then bam back at 5k

Do you have an NA account? I only ask because I wanted to see if you notice a difference in meta on either the NA/EU server after your hiatus. To me the meta seems a lot different on some maps, and others are still the same, but with the changing-up of some maps it seems the meta has completely shifted.

7 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

Do you have an NA account? I only ask because I wanted to see if you notice a difference in meta on either the NA/EU server after your hiatus. To me the meta seems a lot different on some maps, and others are still the same, but with the changing-up of some maps it seems the meta has completely shifted.

Yeah meta changed and my ping won’t let me NA I think. 

It got more vision based and camo reliant on open maps through 1.0 but tanks aren’t balanced for it anymore but corridor fiestas so playing vision games at 400m gets pretty tricky, and for the other set of maps it’s just like when I quit. 

For the new/reworked maps I usually find a good opening position by two-three games but lack more advanced ideas to follow them up etc. The game is different but the playerbase is still a joke, adjust properly and the nerds won’t know what hit them

It's quite literally just playing out the rust. I guarantee you that the concepts you've learned and understood never went away, just need to be reevaluated and reapplied. That's what happened when I came back to the game after a year and a half break, went from playing at 4300, to 2700, slowly grinding my way back to 4400. I even took a screenshot of the first time I played a 4K session for a day.

Trust me, you'll never be as amazing as you once are directly after coming off of a break, but sometimes the relaxation from taking such a break will be able to help you perform even better once you break all of that rust off.

11 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

Also the meta has shifted quite a bit due to an almost complete overhaul of bushes and soft cover on maps. While the general concepts still apply, typically the angles and vision angles people knew by muscle memory are all completely changed. It's something I also had to get quite used to.