Masterpupil2

CALLING ALL NERDS, I NEED PC SUGGESTIONS

39 posts in this topic

2 years ago I built a computer that, at the time, I thought would last at least 4-5 years when it came to running new and demanding games. Sadly, it seems that it has problems even running games like Counter Strike (where I can't seem to stay over 150 FPS, and it consistently drops down below 100), The Hunt:Showdown where even when it's on very low graphic settings all around I can't manage more than 50 FPS, and in general a lot of others games that I feel should be running far better.

At this point I'm saying fuck it. I've tried everything figuring that the specs were still relevant and that maybe I added something to the PC that was slowing it down- I defragged, anti-virus scanned, hell, I even reinstalled Windows on my SSD to see if that would fix anything. Nothing has worked, so fuck it, money will hopefully fix the issue. If it is actually on my side, I'll take rightful ownership of the title Dickhead as long as I get the problem fixed.

Here are the specs of my PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.50 GHz

MoBo: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.  H170-D3HP-CF (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H170-D3HP-rev-10#ov)

RAM: 8 GB DDR4 (I believe it runs around 2040 MHz, but I'm not the best at understanding DRAM Frequencies and I assume since CPU Z tracks only single channels that it must be double what it says(pic attached))

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB 

PSU: 1000 Watt 1000 G2 EVGA SuperNova (80 Gold Plus(very unnecessary for this build, but I figured I'd use it whenever I upgraded))

Storage: SSD (with 64-bit Windows 10) 500GB/ 2 HDDs at 2TBs each

I also might add that I am running two 27' monitors (primary at 144hz and the 2nd at 60hz), the second monitor might be stressing my computer, but I don't feel like it is.

If there's anything I'm missing let me know. In terms of upgrading I figure the MoBo and CPU are the two causing the bottleneck (especially for CS/The Hunt), and my budget for upgrading would be around $800 (and hopefully it being just those two will make that an easy task).

RAM.PNG

Theres no reason that should be performing so poorly, have you checked for anything overheating and thermal throttling?

Maybe some bios settings are catasrophically wrong? Not sure what or if anything would cause that though. 

Check for thermal issues, if CPU is overheating check to see if thermal paste is applied right to start. And if thats isnt the issue then wait until folter or someone gives you advice because thats all I can think of off the top of my head

Isn't Hunt:Showdown laughably optimized though. Everyone had problems running that game.

You're in good time for an upgrade and its the best time yet.

GPUs i'd be looking into 1080Tis or the 20XX series. AMD 7nm chips COULD be good but I'm not hopeful given the vega flop.
CPUs are going to be really interesting with the intel9XXX series and AMD chips as well.

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Theres no reason that should be performing so poorly, have you checked for anything overheating and thermal throttling?

Maybe some bios settings are catasrophically wrong? Not sure what or if anything would cause that though. 

Check for thermal issues, if CPU is overheating check to see if thermal paste is applied right to start. And if thats isnt the issue then wait until folter or someone gives you advice because thats all I can think of off the top of my head

You see that's what I'm saying. I have a pretty decent understanding of PCs at this point and I honestly can't see where I would be bottlenecking here. CPU temps are perfect when I play games, as it never goes above 40 degrees Celsius when I'm playing my most demanding games. Now that you've mentioned it though, I realized my GPU is sitting at a nasty 72 when I'm on Chrome and that's it. Could this be because of my monitors, or would it be something as simple as dusting it out as much as possible (although it's not that dusty to begin with)?

1 hour ago, hiipanda said:

Isn't Hunt:Showdown laughably optimized though. Everyone had problems running that game.

Yeah it is poorly optimized, but I have a friend who has computer parts that are legitimately 4+ years old and my PC should out-perform him in every scenario and yet he runs the game at a playable level. I mean fuck, I don't think the game is so poorly optimized to the point where I can't get into a gun fight for more than 2 seconds without dropping down to a staggering 40 frames. Like, what the fuck? I've already refunded the game, but it was one of the best examples I had. 

29 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

You're in good time for an upgrade and its the best time yet.

GPUs i'd be looking into 1080Tis or the 20XX series. AMD 7nm chips COULD be good but I'm not hopeful given the vega flop.
CPUs are going to be really interesting with the intel9XXX series and AMD chips as well.

In all honestly those new cards look juice as fuck, but I REALLY did not want to spend money upgrading here, especially when I'm running a 980 Ti- and unless I'm completely wrong about this (which I could be), this card should run every game I play without a problem. I always had in mind that the CPU and MoBo (as well as the RAM soon enough, as I'm starting to see more and more games suggesting you have it and builds consisting of it) would be first in line to require upgrading- and unless I have to spend the money to get a playable performance, I rather not. 

980ti should be running everything no problem at 1080p or 1440p honestly. 

your computer isn't trying to like upscale/supersample everything to 4K by any chance is it?

other than that I honestly have no idea what would be causing any bottleneck. RAM is configured badly or something maybe?

I dont see why the monitors would be causing any issues, unless they literally are both 4K screens or something

What resolution are those monitors?

That aside:

1) For testing purposes disconnect one monitor, restart and

• run benchmarks like Firestrike or Heaven and a few games, compare your results with others
  • while wunning these benchmarks monitor your temps (CPU and GPU)
  • idle temps (empty desktop no browsers open or whatever)

2) restart and reconnect your 2nd monitor

• repeat above tests

Furthermore this built looks like some kind of stew - picked random parts from the shelf, throw them into a box and stir them around o.O A 980Ti has the same performance as a 1070 and there is absolutly no reason this shouldn't run 1080/1440p at max or near max setting with decent FPS.

Also updating your BIOS to the latest version  in combination with a fresh W10 install might do the trick. In the last months MS seems to have released at least one (forced) update, that might screw with performance.

If you are hell bend on spending money, get rid of that single 8GB stick and motherboard and replace it with 2x8GB DDR4 and a good used Z170. That single 8GB stick could be a reason for some dips in min FPS especially when you have applications running in the background. A Z-series motherboard would allow you to use the full potential of that K-series CPU via OC (4.4 GHz at least).

I upgraded to a 8th gen Intel from 6th, it's an insane performance boost with two more physical cores, lower tdp and better clock. Needs a new mobo but 10/10 would buy again. Literally the i3s turned into cheap as shit last gen i5s, similarly the i5 8600k shits all over all previous i7s for two thirds the price. 

Upgraded from a i3 6100 to 8100 for around 200 euro with a z270, a i5 7500 costs about the same alone and performs worse and has a shitty upgrade path. Thanks AMD for letting me have a godly cpu on a student budget.

If you decide to upgrade you might as well wait until Black Friday to see what deals are available. Next gen GPUs should be better stocked and 9th gen Intel will be here, although I wouldn't expect much for discounts on either of those items. Ryzen will likely have some discounts along with cases, motherboards, and especially SSDs.

7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

980ti should be running everything no problem at 1080p or 1440p honestly. 

your computer isn't trying to like upscale/supersample everything to 4K by any chance is it?

other than that I honestly have no idea what would be causing any bottleneck. RAM is configured badly or something maybe?

I dont see why the monitors would be causing any issues, unless they literally are both 4K screens or something

Both monitors: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Response-Equalizer-Adjustable-XL2730/dp/B01H5KKVME (primary) 

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GL2760H-Technology-ZeroFlicker-Certified/dp/B00IZBIMLK (secondary)

The primary monitor is able to scale to 2715 x 1527 but I keep it at its native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Speaking of resolutions, whenever I downscale (have only really done it with CS) I seem to get even worse performance, which honestly boggles my mind. I've even tried setting the native to whatever resolution I have set in CS and it just refuses to cooperate, so I force myself to play 1920 x 1080.

I'll write more about the RAM in response to Folter's post

6 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

What resolution are those monitors?

That aside:

1) For testing purposes disconnect one monitor, restart and

• run benchmarks like Firestrike or Heaven and a few games, compare your results with others
  • while wunning these benchmarks monitor your temps (CPU and GPU)
  • idle temps (empty desktop no browsers open or whatever)

2) restart and reconnect your 2nd monitor

• repeat above tests

Furthermore this built looks like some kind of stew - picked random parts from the shelf, throw them into a box and stir them around o.O A 980Ti has the same performance as a 1070 and there is absolutly no reason this shouldn't run 1080/1440p at max or near max setting with decent FPS.

Also updating your BIOS to the latest version  in combination with a fresh W10 install might do the trick. In the last months MS seems to have released at least one (forced) update, that might screw with performance.

If you are hell bend on spending money, get rid of that single 8GB stick and motherboard and replace it with 2x8GB DDR4 and a good used Z170. That single 8GB stick could be a reason for some dips in min FPS especially when you have applications running in the background. A Z-series motherboard would allow you to use the full potential of that K-series CPU via OC (4.4 GHz at least).

Couple things, as I knew I would mess up in the information somewhere:

1) Yeah the PC is a tad bit random, some parts I moved over from the build you helped me with a couple years back along with some parts that I got for free (like the 980Ti two years ago), but I figured there shouldn't be any problems with the way that it's set up.

2) I very recently did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 with no positive results, but that being said, I have not manually updated my BiOS since I built the PC and if it hasn't updated itself then that could be a huge thing there- simple yet obvious possibility for problems that I didn't think of (guess I didn't try EVERYTHING :P)

3) The RAM. I made a mistake in not saying that it's actually two sticks of 4GB, I actually tried to get an 8GB stick (Corsair vengeance series) and the motherboard refused to register it, and after looking it up I believe the motherboard will not accept anything over 4GB of RAM in a single slot (16GB max. with 4 slots, I'm obviously only filling 2 though). Not only that, but I definitely forgot to mention that when I last moved my PC I had a problem with one of the sticks unseating itself and causing an immense amount of problems such as the PC going into auto repair mode, automatically shutting on and off, etc. This could easily be another problem that is degrading my performance. 

I'll try the benchmarks later tonight when I get the chance. As I said to Assassin, my GPU is running extremely hot when idle for some odd reason, but using MSI Afterburner with a custom scale for the fans seems to keep it at a decent temperature (it sits at 70 when only running chrome and a few other minor programs, but at 50 or lower when I have the fans scaled correctly). I figure this might be my biggest problem seeing as the 980Ti will throttle itself when it gets to one of those higher temps.

Also mandatory thank you to all the dudes who've posted in this thread thus far. I definitely appreciate all the help and hopefully we can get this all figured out soon. :)

10 minutes ago, Masterpupil2 said:

3) The RAM. I made a mistake in not saying that it's actually two sticks of 4GB, I actually tried to get an 8GB stick (Corsair vengeance series) and the motherboard refused to register it, and after looking it up I believe the motherboard will not accept anything over 4GB of RAM in a single slot (16GB max. with 4 slots, I'm obviously only filling 2 though). Not only that, but I definitely forgot to mention that when I last moved my PC I had a problem with one of the sticks unseating itself and causing an immense amount of problems such as the PC going into auto repair mode, automatically shutting on and off, etc. This could easily be another problem that is degrading my performance. 

The CPU-Z screenshot however says your memory runs in single channel. Either it reads wrong or it does run in single channel - sorry for the dumb question but do you have the sticks right next to each other (1 in grey slot 1 in black) or do you have them in slots "1" and "3" (so both in grey or both in black)? If the former, you're running in single channel despite having 2 sticks, and need to switch to latter. 

8 hours ago, Marty said:

The CPU-Z screenshot however says your memory runs in single channel. Either it reads wrong or it does run in single channel - sorry for the dumb question but do you have the sticks right next to each other (1 in grey slot 1 in black) or do you have them in slots "1" and "3" (so both in grey or both in black)? If the former, you're running in single channel despite having 2 sticks, and need to switch to latter. 

I haven't really used CPU Z that much, but I believe that's just the way it tracks it. If not that would be interesting, but from the website it seems like it just records it as a single channel. As for the seating they are seated in the 1/3 slot. Also trust me I value the help and nothing is stupid here, this stuff furthers my knowledge on PCs which in itself makes this pain in the ass worth it.

2 hours ago, Strigonx said:

Have you tried replacing the thermal compound of your GPU?

Now I honestly didn't know I could do this. How would I go about actually doing something like this?

A4eNOOz.png

This is the benchmark on Ultra for Heaven with both monitors, Discord, Spotify (nothing playing but I doubt it makes a difference), and Steam running. The results without the secondary monitor hardly make a difference, with the score being a little higher at 3919 but with the Min. and Max. FPS both being 1-2 FPS lower.

At this point my mind is heading towards the GPU being the problem here. My idle temps without MSi Afterburner's custom fan speeds are terrible being around 70-75 degrees Celsius and 80-85 when I'm in a game, which shows why I would be dropping. With the modified fan speeds it idles at 50-55 and maxes out at 70-75 in-game. I'm going to heavy-dust the GPU later tonight and see if anything changes, but right now I'm almost positive it's the GPU causing the problems, which is definitely frustrating. 

EDIT: Also the benchmark says that the GPU has only 4GB of memory (unless I'm reading that incorrectly?) which is lower than what it reads in CPU Z. At this point I am confuse.

2 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

Now I honestly didn't know I could do this. How would I go about actually doing something like this?

With you GPU temps being high I'd suspect the thermal compound or a dead/dying fan.

Do you have the manufacturer and model of your GPU?  There are quite a few different 980 ti's out there.

Basically its usually removed a few small screws.  Then clean off the old thermal compound with a microfiber cloth and rubbing alcohol.  Apply small amount of new thermal compound to GPU chip.  Assembly is reversal of disassembly.   You can use any good non conductive CPU thermal compound.

"My idle temps without MSi Afterburner's custom fan speeds are terrible being around 70-75 degrees Celsius"

Fucking he'll that is insanely high for an ideal temperature.  I'd agree with others above, the thermal paste is fucked or your fan/fans are faulty.

It's simple to change the paste on the GPU.  Just make sure you use a non conductive paste. Also you can put more paste on a GPU  chip than a CPU so the "grain of rice size bit of paste" doesn't apply. Put a nice blob on and don't over tighten the cooler when you put it back on. That's a common mistake people make. It warps the cooler and it doesn't sit properly. 

I had really high idle temps on an R9 290x, changed the paste and say a 30c drop.

Ive take down a couple GPUs, its not hard to do at all. Just use a bit less thermal paste than you would on a CPU and you'll be good to go. I did knock off about 5C when I changed the thermal paste on my 1070 soon after getting it

Well as much as I would love to try out this solution, unless someone has a way for me to unscrew this stripped dot-sized screw I’m kinda fucked. 

EDIT: not sure if the picture is showing because I’m on mobile but basically one of the screws in the board has been completely stripped and I have no way of actually taking it out and changing the paste 

1 hour ago, Masterpupil2 said:

Well as much as I would love to try out this solution, unless someone has a way for me to unscrew this stripped dot-sized screw I’m kinda fucked. 

EDIT: not sure if the picture is showing because I’m on mobile but basically one of the screws in the board has been completely stripped and I have no way of actually taking it out and changing the paste 

Did you buy it second hand? So someone has already taken it apart before, and im guessing fucked the thermal paste or cooler in some way.

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Did you buy it second hand? So someone has already taken it apart before, and im guessing fucked the thermal paste or cooler in some way.

It’s the one I got from the Vegas Finals so I don’t think it was touched but it’s possible. I stripped the screw myself like a dickhead, but in all fairness, it is quite literally the only screw that wouldn’t come out and now I’m pretty boned. 

$600 screw ftw?

37 minutes ago, Masterpupil2 said:

It’s the one I got from the Vegas Finals so I don’t think it was touched but it’s possible. I stripped the screw myself like a dickhead, but in all fairness, it is quite literally the only screw that wouldn’t come out and now I’m pretty boned. 

$600 screw ftw?

send actual picture? it didnt work the first time

5 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Smraza-Precision-Screwdriver-Smartphone-Electronics/dp/B0768X1Y56/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1537239192&sr=1-5&keywords=screwdriver+set&dpID=51khjalEROL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

unless you completely trashed it, use a kit. Well worth it if you plan on doing any DIY repairs anyways.

51 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

send actual picture? it didnt work the first time

17 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/nvfVr0r

hopefully that works. There’s actually two screws that are stripped, the main small one in the picture and another near the DVI slot. I’ve contacted EVGA about a possible fix but I doubt it will happen, and I tried for an hour to get it out and it’s simply fucked at this point (picture is before I spent an hour trying to get it out and fucked it entirely). 

Out of utter frustration, I’m just going to buy a new card and give this one to a friend. Any one have a card they’d recommend? Was thinking a 1080 8GB Strix GPU by ASUS boosted to 1835 MHz. 

3 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/nvfVr0r

hopefully that works. There’s actually two screws that are stripped, the main small one in the picture and another near the DVI slot. I’ve contacted EVGA about a possible fix but I doubt it will happen, and I tried for an hour to get it out and it’s simply fucked at this point (picture is before I spent an hour trying to get it out and fucked it entirely). 

Out of utter frustration, I’m just going to buy a new card and give this one to a friend. Any one have a card they’d recommend? Was thinking a 1080 8GB Strix GPU by ASUS boosted to 1835 MHz. 

You could stick a flathead in there and try that way, thats normally how I get stripped philips screws out.

1080 is a beast and they'll all be dropping in price now the RTX 20 series are out. And Im quite the fanboy for ASUS myself. 

Just use a pliers to grip the outside of the screw, they shouldn't be that tight. Just be super careful you don't touch the pcb board with the pliers as you'll really fuck the card up.

Hold the card side on so you can see a gap between the pliers and the pcb board. 

Change out your paste,  then use 2 of you good screws to refit the cooler. Screw in the damaged one with your hand and the other good screw. A small nip with the pliers on the damaged screw is all you need to hold it.