Masterpupil2

CALLING ALL NERDS, I NEED PC SUGGESTIONS

39 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2018 at 1:05 AM, Masterpupil2 said:

I realized my GPU is sitting at a nasty 72 when I'm on Chrome 

This sounds quite bad! Internet explorers are mostly CPU-intensive. GPU does a tiny bit of work (even with Hardware Acceleration) so you should expect around idle temp.

From my experience 70 during idle translates to 90+ during gaming which leads to serious heat throttle. Potential hardware damage (HDD, WiFi card, etc) at this point. Try using gpu z to log the GPU temperature.

I would look into your fans. Maybe the bearing needs lubricant (sewing machine oil usually does the trick). Maybe the fan is not getting enough power. Sometimes your BIOS mess with the fan speed curve so it doesn’t rotate fast. Most of the time though, the venting holes are blocked, or the fan doesn’t spin because of dusty blades.

8...gb...RAM

Why?!?!?!

On 9/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, Ham_ said:

I upgraded to a 8th gen Intel from 6th, it's an insane performance boost with two more physical cores, lower tdp and better clock. Needs a new mobo but 10/10 would buy again. Literally the i3s turned into cheap as shit last gen i5s, similarly the i5 8600k shits all over all previous i7s for two thirds the price. 

Upgraded from a i3 6100 to 8100 for around 200 euro with a z270, a i5 7500 costs about the same alone and performs worse and has a shitty upgrade path. Thanks AMD for letting me have a godly cpu on a student budget.

You know that that "new" motherboard you bought is already EOL right? LGA1151 is on its way out iirc...

3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

8...gb...RAM

Why?!?!?!

You know that that "new" motherboard you bought is already EOL right? LGA1151 is on its way out iirc...

That was last year, didn't feel very long, making a point of how much better the 8th gen is compared to the 6th which is what I had back then, which is also what the OP is still running. 

19 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/nvfVr0r

hopefully that works. There’s actually two screws that are stripped, the main small one in the picture and another near the DVI slot. I’ve contacted EVGA about a possible fix but I doubt it will happen, and I tried for an hour to get it out and it’s simply fucked at this point (picture is before I spent an hour trying to get it out and fucked it entirely). 

Out of utter frustration, I’m just going to buy a new card and give this one to a friend. Any one have a card they’d recommend? Was thinking a 1080 8GB Strix GPU by ASUS boosted to 1835 MHz. 

Asus cards are way overpriced, browse r/buildapcsales and find a decent deal on a 1070 Ti or 1080, likely from MSI or EVGA. For only $25-50 more than a 1080 Strix card you could be getting a 1080 Ti that's on sale and there's been many sales the last couple months.

Update: So for right now I have a decent temporary fix, but I'm definitely going to try getting into that GPU again one more time before I say screw it (get it?) and buy another card. Keeping my room ice-cold with MSI Afterburner on keeps idling temps at a stable 50 c and at a max of 60-65 c in-game (so hey, no throttling but it's not the fix I want and keeping my room this cold blows). 

When it comes to the screws for the GPU- there's no way to get a pair of pliers to grip them, as the one near the DVI is level with the metal it's screwed into and the one directly on the board is so tight to the board that I don't even have a millimeter of screw to grab onto. I'll try getting a flathead and messing with the screw with that (I tried the rubberband trick the other day but I had no success with it). I'll update this thread again for anyone interested after I've tried getting the card open again. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:27 AM, Fulcrous said:

Screws dont seem fucked from personal experience. you should be fine with the - or | screwdrivers

Picture was an hour or two outdated- the screw directly no the board is almost entirely stripped, but I'll keep at it. 

21 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Asus cards are way overpriced, browse r/buildapcsales and find a decent deal on a 1070 Ti or 1080, likely from MSI or EVGA. For only $25-50 more than a 1080 Strix card you could be getting a 1080 Ti that's on sale and there's been many sales the last couple months.

Good advice and I'll definitely look into it. Even if I get the board open and fixed I'll most likely still sell it/give it to a friend, so I'll keep this in mind. 

eh, I havent actually seen any ASUS cards priced any worse than other brands over here. EVGA is usually the most expensive TBH, but only by like 10-20 bucks at most for the same card.

39 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

eh, I havent actually seen any ASUS cards priced any worse than other brands over here. EVGA is usually the most expensive TBH, but only by like 10-20 bucks at most for the same card.

NZ doesn't count.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:14 PM, Masterpupil2 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/nvfVr0r

hopefully that works. There’s actually two screws that are stripped, the main small one in the picture and another near the DVI slot. I’ve contacted EVGA about a possible fix but I doubt it will happen, and I tried for an hour to get it out and it’s simply fucked at this point (picture is before I spent an hour trying to get it out and fucked it entirely). 

Out of utter frustration, I’m just going to buy a new card and give this one to a friend. Any one have a card they’d recommend? Was thinking a 1080 8GB Strix GPU by ASUS boosted to 1835 MHz. 

Its the 4 larger screws with the springs behind them in the picture that you probably need to remove first.  I'm not sure if you even need to remove the smaller ones.

Used EVGA GTX 1080's are going for $350-$400 on eBay from reputable sellers.  The GTX 1080 ti cards are selling for at little as $480 now.  All the RTX card hype is causing people to dump their cards cheap.  I prefer EVGA's warranty and customer service over the other manufacturers.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:31 AM, Bavor said:

Its the 4 larger screws with the springs behind them in the picture that you probably need to remove first.  I'm not sure if you even need to remove the smaller ones.

Used EVGA GTX 1080's are going for $350-$400 on eBay from reputable sellers.  The GTX 1080 ti cards are selling for at little as $480 now.  All the RTX card hype is causing people to dump their cards cheap.  I prefer EVGA's warranty and customer service over the other manufacturers.

I did that, and sadly I do have to remove every screw from the side/bottom of that board. It refuses to let me take it off without them all unscrewed, and all but 2 were able to be unscrewed. I haven't had the time the past week to mess with it, but hopefully within a day or two I can try again.

Also yeah I love EVGA and I wouldn't mind another card from them. I had a 970 before I won the 980Ti and the 970 still has its warranty even though I sold it to my friend who already has sold it to someone else. If only WG gave me a warranty for this card.

Note I will be selling my MSI Gaming X 1070 which has been re-pasted when the MSI 2080 Trio is back in stock so depending on how long that is, I could sell fairly cheap (300-350).