Bavor

An analysis of the broken tier 8 matchmaking

18 posts in this topic

Some of the community contributors said that at Tankfest that they were told by Wargaming employees the matchmaking mechanic that increases your chance of being top tier or middle tier after being bottom tier has not worked since 9.18 was released.  It looks like they are speaking the truth.

I kept track of my last 600 solo pub battles (all battles since 1.0 was released) in an excel spreadsheet.  I played mostly tier 8 through 10 with the occasional tier 6 and 7 battle.  I included tank played, tank tier, battle tier, type of matchmaking(all 1 tier, 5/10. or 3/5/7), and other details.  Most of the battles were played between 7 PM and 11 PM east coast time when the server population is highest.  This is what I found...

Tier 8 3/5/7 battles: 155

Top tier: 22 battles 14.19% of 3/5/7 battles

Middle Tier: 34 battles 21.94% of 3/5/7 battles

Bottom Tier: 99 battles 63.87% of 3/5/7 battles

Tier 8 5/10 battles: 66

Top tier: 8 battles 12.12% of 5/10 battles

Bottom Tier: 58 battles 87.88% of 5/10 battles

All tier 8 tanks in a battle: 14

Out of the 221 battles where I played a tier 8 tank and the battle was more than 1 tier, I was top tier 30 times.  That's 13.56% of my tier 8 multi tier battles are top tier.  Its obvious 3/5/7 and 5/10 matchmaking doesn't work properly.  I had days where I was playing tier 8 premiums to grind credits and I was getting tier 9 and 10 battles all day.

Wargaming wonders why players dislike the new matchmaker?  Maybe we should boycott buying tier 8 premium tanks, or all premium tanks, until the matchmaking is fixed.  

When playing my tier 8 tanks I rarely had to wait more than 7 to 10 seconds before I was dropped into a battle.  Maybe if Matchmaker worked correctly, I'd have to wait up to 20 seconds for a battle, but I wouldn't be bottom tier all the time.

at this point tier 7 is the new best tier for credit farming IMO (especially pref tier 7's albeit there aren't many to chose from).

tier 8 premium tanks are basically dust collectors until front-line returns, and thats under the assumption they dont change the modes tier when it dose return..... 

whats worse is that WG officially refuses to just straight up admit their mistake.

its a shame to considering that tier 8 used to be my favorite tier to play, now i rarely touch anything outside of tier 10.

tier 8 MM is also broken in WoWs......

Tier 4, 7, 9 & 10 are the only tiers worth playing, which is a shame since their are so many good tier 8 prems, and tier 5 used to be awesome

WG need to sort out their MM in both games.

Why would they sort it out, it's working as intended. It forces people who want to not have a shit time to play tier 9 and 10 and lose money and reach into their wallets to fund it.

As for them fucking Frontlines, oh yeah. 8 premiums are going to break even and tree tanks will make huge losses I suspect. Unless they make it tier 9 or 10 which is a distinct possibility.

54 minutes ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

Why would they sort it out, it's working as intended. It forces people who want to not have a shit time to play tier 9 and 10 and lose money and reach into their wallets to fund it.

As for them fucking Frontlines, oh yeah. 8 premiums are going to break even and tree tanks will make huge losses I suspect. Unless they make it tier 9 or 10 which is a distinct possibility.

Tier 9 would be win win for WG and players. It's decently expensive to run, so you'll have to have premium time or tanks to compensate, but its relatively well balanced (no thanks to WG) without any glaringly OP candidates.

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

Tier 9 would be win win for WG and players. It's decently expensive to run, so you'll have to have premium time or tanks to compensate, but its relatively well balanced (no thanks to WG) without any glaringly OP candidates.

Yeah, they probably won't do it then.

I would love to see a similar experiment completed on the EU server where theres more population to see if the results can be replicated. 

Yeah, its no secret that T8 MM is trash. There is flat out zero reason to play non pref Tier 8. And I have zero desire to spend any money on a non pref T8 prem, or even just gold in the tech tree.

9 hours ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

On the sites that track active players, the number of active players dropped after the release of 9.18, which introduced the 3/5/7 and 5/10 template matchmaking.  Then the number of active players dropped again a few weeks after the release of 1.0.  Losing active players is working as intended?

13 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

at this point tier 7 is the new best tier for credit farming IMO (especially pref tier 7's albeit there aren't many to chose from).

tier 8 premium tanks are basically dust collectors until front-line returns, and thats under the assumption they dont change the modes tier when it dose return..... 

whats worse is that WG officially refuses to just straight up admit their mistake.

its a shame to considering that tier 8 used to be my favorite tier to play, now i rarely touch anything outside of tier 10.

They admitted that mistake, to us anyway. They ALSO admitted to weighting platoons as they figured they would be too powerful and therefore made it harder to just have fun in the game with your friends.

That's the thing that pissed me off the most.

On EU it feels like everything is nearly all tier 8 9 or 10 when the servers are busy. Tier 10 is always full 15v15 now especially with the British challenge. Is anyone else getting that?

50 minutes ago, Ham_ said:

On EU it feels like everything is nearly all tier 8 9 or 10 when the servers are busy. Tier 10 is always full 15v15 now especially with the British challenge. Is anyone else getting that?

its the same for NA, with the caern missions its pretty much all tier 10 matches back to back.

but oddly enough the caern missions have also temporarily given tier 8's *slightly* better MM (for now), and has made tier 9 MM even more god like than it was before.

But guys don't you know it's the fault of pref 8s that regular 8s get such bad [email protected][email protected]!one!eleven!

12 hours ago, Ham_ said:

IMO it feels like tier 8s and 9s get the same matchmaking, except most 9s are like 1.5 tiers better. 8s are unplayably frustrating for me.