Assassin7

Elimination: Tier 9 - 2018

240 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

he said +1's meaning tanks people chose as their favorite/best.

@Fulcrous which ones do you think are note worthy of calling out?

ah i see now

I dont think we've seen the 'The tank is nice and cheap to run. I never need to load gold. It just works' yet.

1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

Some of the +1s on these responses show that WoTLabs is near equivalent to wot forum opinion or flat out out-dated now :serb:

Some are interesting, but generally its gone near as expected. T-10/T-54 etc gaining quick points. M103, 50 120 etc dropping off the fastest.

I was most surprised by the 430v2 being the first gone, and the number of upvotes the AMX M4 51 has gotten. I havent played either but i would of picked at least most of the TDs to be dropped off before the 430.

3 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Some are interesting, but generally its gone near as expected. T-10/T-54 etc gaining quick points. M103, 50 120 etc dropping off the fastest.

I was most surprised by the 430v2 being the first gone, and the number of upvotes the AMX M4 51 has gotten. I havent played either but i would of picked at least most of the TDs to be dropped off before the 430.

As has been said, the vast majority of Tier 9 TDs are rarely played unlike heavies. The traditional advantages of TDs, being high pen, camo and vision that make them halfway decent choices for the low tiers (esp in 3 5 7 MM) become less important in Tier 9 which only has to deal with tier 10s at most.

But I suspect that the reason might actually be that the TDs really are better tanks than the V2: most TDs have a role and are to varying degrees good at it. The M103 has a role which it shares with several of its betters; the 430 V 2 has a role in which it has been shoehorned and sucks at it.

That said, I'm surprised that no one has taken shots at the WZ-120 yet. For myself, I'd simply forgot about it. Now that I have remembered, I have some difficulty with the idea that it would make a better/less bad tank than the M103. The M103 is mediocre, but I didn't find it aggressively bad in the way the 430 II and 120 and Jagdtiger were to me.

WZ-120 I could never bring myself to vote down because of my love of high alpha mobile tanks. 

M103 is just extremely frustrating because the armour used to be good but now gets penned in the turret because its gigantic and cheese. Plus its role has been completely superseded by the Conq and AMX M4 51. 

In terms of TDs, the only real completely trash one would be the Chinese tier 9, whereas the others are sort of usable. 704 is OK still, hasn't really changed ever. T95 is somewhat usable now that its slightly faster I guess, STRV is an STRV, Foch is somewhat usable with the autoloader now. 263 is rather powerful as well and T30 is a heavy. If anything the WZ, 704 and T95 are the shitty lets not play these again tanks. 

2 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

People are voting what they've played. People playing RU meds more than TDs is not exactly a surprise in this place. For example the only Tier 9 TD I think I've ever played is the Jagd and that was probably in 8.7 or something.

1 hour ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

he said +1's meaning tanks people chose as their favorite/best.

@Fulcrous which ones do you think are note worthy of calling out?

Any of the lights, T54E1, E75, M46,  WZ 111 4 and anyone who put the T10 over the conqueror first.

Lights get absolutely shit on in all tiers due to superheavies and prevalence of maps that are either lanes or hull down positions. With the increase in number of bushes, they've been indirectly nerfed on a lot of maps that are vision orientes (i.e. prok is a nightmare to try and spot now unless you are really good or the enemy is really bad). T54E1's 255 apcr really hurts it in the presence of superheavy meta and same reasons above. M46 still has really great soft stats but its a shadow of its former self with the release of more superheavies, strv line and the conqueror line. You can still farm 4k+ but you need much more effort than before due to number of heavily armored units. WZ is overshadowed by T10 which in turn is overshadowed by the conqueror which has received HUGE buffs in the form of the heat shield. I regret selling my conqueror for a T10 a while ago.

I haven't played the AMX 30 or T54 as of late. I assume T54 is still great due to 340 heat helping it slice through types. I withold judgement on AMX30 until I actually play it but it doesnt seem that much better than a leo pta.

Jagdtiger is also one of the stronger T9 tds right now due to its ability to accurately slice through superheavies, the strv line, and conquerors with AP and gold rounds. Additionally it can trade very well even if its superstructure leaves more to be desired due to the alpha of the gun so I'm surprised to see it fall faster than its respective counterparts as well.

tl;dr surprised to not see conqueror win by a landslide since super conqs were all the rage in ranked and its tier for tier as good if not better at t9.

too lazy to copypaste xd, at least if it doesn't count it will be just my opinion:

AMX 13 90: +1 By FAR the best light tank when it comes to performance, maybe not as fun as the T49, but boi this nibba can carry games like no other light tank in the entire game.

VK 4502(B): -3 :feelsbad: I really enjoyed this tank, but I'd say it's only out all the tier 9s  that can't pass 3500 dpg.

4 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Any of the lights, T54E1, E75, M46,  WZ 111 4 and anyone who put the T10 over the conqueror first.

Lights get absolutely shit on in all tiers due to superheavies and prevalence of maps that are either lanes or hull down positions. With the increase in number of bushes, they've been indirectly nerfed on a lot of maps that are vision orientes (i.e. prok is a nightmare to try and spot now unless you are really good or the enemy is really bad). T54E1's 255 apcr really hurts it in the presence of superheavy meta and same reasons above. M46 still has really great soft stats but its a shadow of its former self with the release of more superheavies, strv line and the conqueror line. You can still farm 4k+ but you need much more effort than before due to number of heavily armored units. WZ is overshadowed by T10 which in turn is overshadowed by the conqueror which has received HUGE buffs in the form of the heat shield. I regret selling my conqueror for a T10 a while ago.

I haven't played the AMX 30 or T54 as of late. I assume T54 is still great due to 340 heat helping it slice through types. I withold judgement on AMX30 until I actually play it but it doesnt seem that much better than a leo 1.

Agreed on the lights, 54E1, M46 and E75 to a lesser extent. But Conq overshadowing the T-10 (and WZ) is bollocks. The Conqueror is effectively a brick/hulldown heavy with a amazeballs guns; the T-10 and WZ are armoured mediums with boomsticks. On top of that, many new tanks like the Superconq or the 268 V4 have weakspots that are only weak against HEAT and are otherwise autobounce against APCR, which further gives an edge to the T-10/WZ. 

Bottom line they're just not comparable, and even if you compare them, the T-10 wouldn't be any worse than the Conq (the WZ's gun handling exposes it to fire a little too much for comfort).

27 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

WZ-120 I could never bring myself to vote down because of my love of high alpha mobile tanks. 

M103 is just extremely frustrating because the armour used to be good but now gets penned in the turret because its gigantic and cheese. Plus its role has been completely superseded by the Conq and AMX M4 51. 

In terms of TDs, the only real completely trash one would be the Chinese tier 9, whereas the others are sort of usable. 704 is OK still, hasn't really changed ever. T95 is somewhat usable now that its slightly faster I guess, STRV is an STRV, Foch is somewhat usable with the autoloader now. 263 is rather powerful as well and T30 is a heavy. If anything the WZ, 704 and T95 are the shitty lets not play these again tanks. 

The Tier 9 Chinese shrugs off T9/T10 standard and has 395 HEAT pen while being faster than the T95. I get that it's a frustrating tank to play, but I just don't see how a tank with this combination of strengths could be bad in this corridor/gold spam meta.

Likewise for the 704, I've been taking it for a drive every now and then and it's just so easy to do well in it. It's inflexible, derpy, and slow-ish, but it's also stealthy, inconsistently consistent, and will bounce 50% of return fire irregardless of accuracy and where they are aimed. You just rush to a bush. Activate binos. Then roll a dice, fire, get spotted, take 2-300 HP in return. It gets stale very quickly, true, but that's because it's so brutishly effective in its own way.

AMX M4 51 is the dark horse, its combination of firepower, armour, mobility, gun handling and basically being a better conq will be interesting. 

TDs are too inflexible to ever make a huge impact. Being slow, cumbersome and lacking turrets will just make them all shit. 

2 hours ago, lavawing said:

wot forums is split on whether the 430 v2 benefitted from the 'rebalans' tho. wow, the 246 pen is so comfy now, 'the tank was never about the armour', 'best tier 9 medium sniper'. 'it was a good tank and got better'

Who cares for 246 pen, all you did was spam HEAT anyway its hardly an upgrade for the tank, and it was about the armor, like the A-44 two tiers before it, it was a wicked good sidescraper.

2 minutes ago, Ham_ said:

Who cares for 246 pen, all you did was spam HEAT anyway its hardly an upgrade for the tank, and it was about the armor, like the A-44 two tiers before it, it was a wicked good sidescraper.

I don’t recall the 430v2 catching fire, losing an engine or being ammo racked EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME it was hit though.

Regarding validity of opinion and official forum level you all know that highest WN8 wins so what I say is literally law 

not even joking :doge: 

on an equally serious note is that tank viability is subjective, t54 will be the best t9 hands down for the best player because it is the most versatile while always being relevant while tanks like the t10 are more forgiving but still rewarding to play for people who arent at a point where they dont really make mistakes anymore

keep going down the ladder of brain activity and different tanks will be the superior ones. Tort/JT are insanely good tanks for the average but very few top players will ever even play them seriously because they don’t fit the optimal playstyle. 

The more generalised the better the higher you go, and in certain cases some interesting niches as well, but simplicity of high alpha/HP and not having to constantly look for shots is such a basic thing that boost the avg performance by so much more. 

But ppl upvoting light tanks are legit delusional lol like hf with that dice roll while i go solo carry with much higher probability in literally every other medium/heavy in tier

Edited by Kolni

T-10: 26
AMX M4 51:24
T49: 24
T-54: 23

Conqueror:  2
Type 4 Heavy: 22
WZ-111 1-4: 21
E50: 21 
E75: 21
AMX 30: 21
T30: 20
T95: 21 (20+1) It's op. Yeah it's slow and boring to play but anyone who claims it's bad only bases it on the fun. It's as easy to play as the old kv1s. 
M46 Patton: 21
WT Auf Pz. IV: 20
Mauschen: 20
Leopard PTA: 20
Object 704: 20
Object 263: 20
T-54 LW: 20
Object 430: 20
ST-I: 20
Tortoise: 20
Foch: 17 (20-3) - fuck this tank. Yeah it has a 4 shot autoloader but the gun placement is bad, the sides are bad, the armor is meh. 
B-C 25t AP: 21
AMX 13 90: 20
Skoda T50: 21 
WZ-132A: 17 
WZ-120: 20
50TP: 20
STRV 103-0: 20
Standard B: 20
Centurion 7/1: 18
Object 705: 17
Jagdtiger: 17
Conway: 17
VK4502B: 17
Object 257: 17
T54E1: 15
Type 61: 14 
WZ-111G FT: 17
Emil II: 14 
AMX 50 120: 8
M103: 8

1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

I haven't played the AMX 30 or T54 as of late. I assume T54 is still great due to 340 heat helping it slice through types. I withold judgement on AMX30 until I actually play it but it doesnt seem that much better than a leo pta.

Jagdtiger is also one of the stronger T9 tds right now due to its ability to accurately slice through superheavies, the strv line, and conquerors with AP and gold rounds. Additionally it can trade very well even if its superstructure leaves more to be desired due to the alpha of the gun so I'm surprised to see it fall faster than its respective counterparts as well.

tl;dr surprised to not see conqueror win by a landslide since super conqs were all the rage in ranked and its tier for tier as good if not better at t9.

I put the t-10 over the conqueror. Why? Because it's a heavium while the conqueror is a heavy. Wz114 and t-10 can flex unlike the Conq. Also they don't get ammoracked every time the loader farts. I love the Conq but t-10 simply works in more situations.

As for m46 - i know it's out of the meta but it's still super comfy. Also pub forums don't like it, they don't like the t-10 too much either so it's strange you compare those opinions to pub forum.

Amx30 is a strange choice to me it's OK, slightly better than PTA. I agree on Jtiger

WZ-111 1-4: 22 - Still the best Heavium here IMO over the T10. I appreciate the T10, but this simply works better for me. (Its really 1 vs 1a)
T95: 21
Foch: 17

Emil II: 11 - Why this wasn't off the board before the M103 shows not enough people have actually played it. 35 second reload with 3 seconds between rounds with my exceptionally skilled crew (nearing 5th) in this thing... Inflexible as hell in all but 1 circumstance

As far as what @Fulcrous stated: Completely correct. The m4 51 is certainly strong, but the instant you come up against someone firing HEAT its one of the worst HTs out there. The 3 best HTs: Conq, T10, WZ all offer better protection vs HEAT with either Spaced Armor or strong sloping in the turret. The M4 51 only works great in 3/5/7, its OK with 5/10 when top tier, and it struggles like HELL when bottom tier.

Light tanks are just terrible in this meta. We didnt ask  for your favorites (which we all know is the T49. Duh) but what is objectively speaking the best and worst.

Upvoting T95 while the Conq, T10, T54, Skoda T50, and WZ still on the list? Favoritism. Upboating T49, or any other TD (T30 aside) or Light tank? Same.

In all honesty this list could have listed just the following:

• T54
  • Skoda T50
  • E50
  • Patton
  • 30lbr
  • Bat AP
  • T10
  • M4 51
  • WZ 111-14
  • Conq
  • T30 cause turret

And we shouldn't have even batted an eye (Forgive me if I left a meta T9 out).

31 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

WZ-111 1-4: 22 - Still the best Heavium here IMO over the T10. I appreciate the T10, but this simply works better for me. (Its really 1 vs 1a)
T95: 21
Foch: 17

Emil II: 11 - Why this wasn't off the board before the M103 shows not enough people have actually played it. 35 second reload with 3 seconds between rounds with my exceptionally skilled crew (nearing 5th) in this thing... Inflexible as hell in all but 1 circumstance

As far as what @Fulcrous stated: Completely correct. The m4 51 is certainly strong, but the instant you come up against someone firing HEAT its one of the worst HTs out there. The 3 best HTs: Conq, T10, WZ all offer better protection vs HEAT with either Spaced Armor or strong sloping in the turret. The M4 51 only works great in 3/5/7, its OK with 5/10 when top tier, and it struggles like HELL when bottom tier.

Light tanks are just terrible in this meta. We didnt ask  for your favorites (which we all know is the T49. Duh) but what is objectively speaking the best and worst.

Upvoting T95 while the Conq, T10, T54, Skoda T50, and WZ still on the list? Favoritism. Upboating T49, or any other TD (T30 aside) or Light tank? Same.

• T54
  • Skoda T50
  • E50
  • Patton
  • 30lbr
  • Bat AP
  • T10
  • M4 51
  • WZ 111-14
  • Conq
  • T30 cause turret

T95 overperforms statistically like hell. The fact that you don't like to play it or that good players overvalue mobility (as per Richard Nixon posts a year ago) doesn't change the fact that acording to WR curves t95 is probably the most OP tank in the game. A 565 plater gets on average 60.5% wr in it. The tank stops giving a bonus to WR only after you cross 63% WR. Many people didn't play the t95 post buffs so they don't realize how good it is. 

Also Skoda t50 in corridor meta? As others have said - it's a great farmer but superheavy meta hurt it. 

T95 is a casemate TD. See Tort. Its not a good tank. I see one and its "oh hey just go somewhere else and I'll win". I dont worry at it flexing. I dont worry about it at all unless the gun is pointed right at me.

Skoda T50 has the burst potential, which is still strong in a corridor meta. Its exceptionally comfortable regardless of map.

The thing here is that we are all generally not potato players, so would value flexibility far more than being a brick. 

Basically this

3 hours ago, Kolni said:

on an equally serious note is that tank viability is subjective

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

• T54
  • Skoda T50
  • E50
  • Patton
  • 30lbr
  • Bat AP
  • T10
  • M4 51
  • WZ 111-14
  • Conq
  • T30 cause turret

The Skoda, E50 and Patton are definitely not meta tanks. They need far more pen to be able to be classified as meta tanks nowadays. You could have a case with the skoda with HEAT i guess, but definitely not the other 2. 

The Type 4 however is because of the stupid HE derp gun. You could somewhat make a case for the T49 with a similar line of thought, but yeah, nah, its not reliable enough. 

The Conq suffers from getting ruined by HE syndrome, which means against any high calibre gun firing HE (including arty) will ruin a Conq. It also has a weakspot riddled turret all above and under the gun, making it prone to random pens when hull down which is its only real use. Its also pretty slow. Honestly, its a bit overhyped by some people. Its a strong tank, but its not even close to outclassing all other tier 9s. 

4 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

T95 is a casemate TD. See Tort. Its not a good tank. I see one and its "oh hey just go somewhere else and I'll win". I dont worry at it flexing. I dont worry about it at all unless the gun is pointed right at me.

Skoda T50 has the burst potential, which is still strong in a corridor meta. Its exceptionally comfortable regardless of map.

If it's not a good tank why does it overperform for all players <63% win rate and overperform HUGE for people <60 ? Your feelings about it don't change the performance. Also you undervalue the influence of armor on wining games. We had a discussion about it 2 years ago with RichardNixon and a few others. Pure damage dealing is one but stopping a flank that should be won and tanking for allies mean a lot. 

Also Skoda50 has problems in hulldown and superheavy meta. It can burst people only if they are unaware. It's a good tank, just not top5 t9 anymore. 

5 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

The thing here is that we are all generally not potato players, so would value flexibility far more than being a brick. 

Basically this

Yeah but there is a case for overvaluing flexability. In the old days where RichardNixon was more active he compared how unis and superunis rated tanks vs how they performed in them and both groups seemed to hate slower tanks and tanks with unreliable armor. For that reason 2-3 years ago IS4 was bad but still grossly undervalued because the gun/armor frustrated good players but still helped them win more than they thought. The same was true for Ferdinand. 

2 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

No one here has really played the T95 ever since they buffed it. 

I did. People should try it. It's boring and yeah sometimes RNG fucks you and IS7 gets a high pen roll and pens you where you shouldn't but you still get type4 speed, 750 alpha per shot, 3x better armor, more dpm. Yeah you can't blast hull down tanks but you can go to a flank and roll over it. In my old acc it was my go to lose streak breaking tank next to 13 57

9 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

You do realise that most of this playerbase are actually more useful just pressing triple R in a T95 going straight over Mali field doing 0 damage than they would be in any other tank in the entire game? Soaks up damage, hard to pen from distance, decent gun and now that mobility got boosted it's really the average players perfect tank. 

Basically half of the playerbase can't pull 1800+ DPG on T10s, just let that sink in on how ridiculously bad that is and it'll start to make sense how stupid tanks for stupid people is a viable solution. WG just can't balance stupid tanks and make the stupid tanks good and we get Type 5s because of how ridiculously bad these players are that need that type of tank to even have any sort of chance at all to influence the outcome of one of a hundred games. That's literally how bad they are

1 minute ago, hazzgar said:

Yeah but there is a case for overvaluing flexability. In the old days where RichardNixon was more active he compared how unis and superunis rated tanks vs how they performed in them and both groups seemed to hate slower tanks and tanks with unreliable armor. For that reason 2-3 years ago IS4 was bad but still grossly undervalued because the gun/armor frustrated good players but still helped them win more than they thought. The same was true for Ferdinant. T95 can just drive up to a flank, blap people for 750 and DGAF. This is huge. 

Of course, I'm not saying that its a good or bad thing, I'm just stating that generally better players value flexibility more. 

Its why most people have completely ignored the existence of the Type 4 in this thread as well as the Obj 263 (budget 268 4)

4 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Of course, I'm not saying that its a good or bad thing, I'm just stating that generally better players value flexibility more. 

Its why most people have completely ignored the existence of the Type 4 in this thread as well as the Obj 263 (budget 268 4)

263 is just bad because the gun is shit. It's fairly mobile. 

btw. Just checked armor use values. t95 bounces more % of shots than bobject. 

2 minutes ago, Kolni said:

You do realise that most of this playerbase are actually more useful just pressing triple R in a T95 going straight over Mali field doing 0 damage than they would be in any other tank in the entire game? Soaks up damage, hard to pen from distance, decent gun and now that mobility got boosted it's really the average players perfect tank. 

Basically half of the playerbase can't pull 1800+ DPG on T10s, just let that sink in on how ridiculously bad that is and it'll start to make sense how stupid tanks for stupid people is a viable solution. WG just can't balance stupid tanks and make the stupid tanks good and we get Type 5s because of how ridiculously bad these players are that need that type of tank to even have any sort of chance at all to influence the outcome of one of a hundred games. That's literally how bad they are

The issue with this thread here is that there is no scope besides 'your best' and 'your worst'. This makes this thread an entirely subjective view on what you think is the best and worst tier 9.

If we go by what is the best and worst for the average WoT player, we'd end up with tanks like the T95 being on top which is fair enough because it is a very powerful tank in the game right now. Hell, the Mauschen hasn't even gotten a mention yet and that is also one of the most powerful tanks. 

Can we just go back to upvoting what is the best and worst tank for ourselves instead of debating about how powerful a tank currently is in this meta?
There would be no real point to this thread if it were just a "which is the objectively best tank in the current meta".