Sign in to follow this  
thegeek2

What's keeping this forum solvent?

9 posts in this topic

I've checked this forum for the first time in a long while, and it's obvious that at this point it's not exactly roaring with business. Is Never still running the forum? Who's paying for it? Is the Patreon support still enough to keep the forum up?

very much a reflection of the long and slow decline of WoT...

Its still my home page, but i almost only play WoWs these days

Yes, Never is paying for it, Yes the forum and Stats site combined still remain a net profit for him via ads+peatron. He doesn't plan on taking them down as long as they remain so

1 hour ago, Haswell said:

I thought the servers cost ~$300/mo? The ads must make a fucking fortune.

Reveal hidden contents

Well, last time I checked he was making enough from wotlabs to cover the running costs. I dont think its a massive overhead, but its enough to pay for itself.

well i'd only imagine more people switched over to other stat sites for checking their performance after all the server issues, but from talking to solono back in the day the forum barely costs anything compared to the actual stat-site, and considering how many people use it i'm not really surprised. Signatures and the original WN8 is a pretty good source, but from what I can see so far both WoTLabs and Noobmeter have gone down and more people are using wot-numbers and so on, but if 5k people check their stats every day, the ad revenue adds up.