Copeyhagen

Tier 8 grand battles

38 posts in this topic

So, they won't give the player base what they are screaming for, which is the return of frontlines, instead they give us a few days of tier 8 grand battles in November. Just announced on official site.

Opinions? I'll play it a bit too see if it's good for grinding credits, and might still be grinding a few lines then.

Seriously though, just fucking bring back FLs

been discussing this in the wotlabs discord and so far:

Grand battles unlike front-line isn't a specific mode you can select to play, its an option you can enable for a chance of getting a grand battle match. which means you can still be thrown into normal 3-5-7 match ups

They recently sold the Chrysler and are soon selling the Defender which means there will be lots of both vehicles populating the game mode forcing gold spam along with the typical skorpion and S1 hordes we saw in front-lines, but remember there are no re-spawns in grand battles.

Still have the issue of the shitty map designs and the fact that there still isn't enough ammo or HP to carry such a large scale battle.

The barley increased income compared to randoms often means you either barley make that much more than randoms, or even lose way more than you would in randoms.  

4 arty is a thing in grand battles 

Overall its just a cheap knock-off of front-lines that nobody asked for 

Forgot that it's just an added game mode, so no credit farming.. even if the income was decent, can't just play it over and over like frontlines. Seen the 252 sale, like they're milking people for every last penny at this stage. 

I honestly have played maybe 5 games of GB at tier ten before disabling it, but I'll probably enable it to check it out. No doubt everything you mentioned will 100% happen..

Frontlines... Soon ®

Meh.  I still think frontline will be the Christmas bonus after this CW season.  As for T8 Grand battles; it should pull a fair amount of T8s out of the queue and may normalize the MM a bit around T8 and give you an excuse to grind T8 prems and prefs.

Yeh sadly not an option to escape terrible tier 8 MM like Frontlines was. 

Just means you might get 1/2 more games with all tier 8 than usual.

Be interesting to see if those Grand Battles maps are less cancerous at tier 8 than they are at tier 10, having like 7-8 sh*tbarns, JpE100s, Strvs, Grilles etc. all camping the same baseridge is just not fun. 

Grand Battles at the moment only has value if you want to do some high damage or high spotting missions. 

To be honest I would play Grandbattles in every tier if they would let me select this gamemode. But having the solution like we are having now (clicking battle but having only a (small) chance of landing in a Grandbattle) is the most stupid way imaginable for me. 

Let the people, who want to play Grandbattles at least play them 100% of the time if they want to.

22 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

simply replace those with like 6-7 skorpions and S1's/UDES 

Skorps are easy to spot and hit for far less compared to deathstars and jageroos.

S1s are annoying, but again hit less. 

I still think you'd see some more variety. 

Tier 8 is just as unbalanced as tier 10 is but its problems are different.

• Overarmouring is even more of a thing than tier 10s, even many pref 8s have tier 9 armour profiles that cant be reliably penned on flat ground without gold. Then you have the Defenders, Chryslers, 112s, Lowes, Caerns, and Spershes and even Centurions that are basically 'fuck you' if god forbid they hide their lfps. 
  • Firepower wise, the problem is not so much 183s and Jg E100s but 'normal' TDs which are too good. The ultra high pen they get, however, doesnt mean that the overarmoured tanks are countered, since the best armoured tanks like the Defender, Chrysler, 50TP and 112 are covered in autobounce or 350 effecfive zones that can and will resist gold. These TDs just mean everything that is not a support tank or an ultra tough heavy will get evaporated, and this promotes TD spam and passive play.
  • Note: heavy tanks at this tier do not get lower DPM for the alpha and pen they get. The best firepower at tier 8 is found on TDs, then the Caern, then the 53TP.
  • Gold pen is varies a lot tank by tank, there are tanks with shit gold like IS-6, then the 416's holy heat grenades
  • Most meds are too weak with low alpha and bad bloom. The few good meds are really good at what they do, but this means lack of variety.
  • Lights are a meme and tier 8s not an exception.
  • Things like Strvs, 416s, CDAs will always dominate vr wars, reaching max viewrange is not a granted unlike tier 10s. Tier 8s vs last S1 is a much tougher fight than tier 10s vs a 103B.
  • Tier 8 feels less cancer to play because people 1) are grinding tanks, 2) credits on shit prems, 3) dont really tryhard. 
  • If we had a ranked tier 8 format, shit would hit the fan

5 hours ago, lavawing said:

Tier 8 is just as unbalanced as tier 10 is but its problems are different.

• Overarmouring is even more of a thing than tier 10s, even many pref 8s have tier 9 armour profiles that cant be reliably penned on flat ground without gold. Then you have the Defenders, Chryslers, 112s, Lowes, Caerns, and Spershes and even Centurions that are basically 'fuck you' if god forbid they hide their lfps. 
  • Firepower wise, the problem is not so much 183s and Jg E100s but 'normal' TDs which are too good. The ultra high pen they get, however, doesnt mean that the overarmoured tanks are countered, since the best armoured tanks like the Defender, Chrysler, 50TP and 112 are covered in autobounce or 350 effecfive zones that can and will resist gold. These TDs just mean everything that is not a support tank or an ultra tough heavy will get evaporated, and this promotes TD spam and passive play.
  • Note: heavy tanks at this tier do not get lower DPM for the alpha and pen they get. The best firepower at tier 8 is found on TDs, then the Caern, then the 53TP.
  • Gold pen is varies a lot tank by tank, there are tanks with shit gold like IS-6, then the 416's holy heat grenades
  • Most meds are too weak with low alpha and bad bloom. The few good meds are really good at what they do, but this means lack of variety.
  • Lights are a meme and tier 8s not an exception.
  • Things like Strvs, 416s, CDAs will always dominate vr wars, reaching max viewrange is not a granted unlike tier 10s. Tier 8s vs last S1 is a much tougher fight than tier 10s vs a 103B.
  • Tier 8 feels less cancer to play because people 1) are grinding tanks, 2) credits on shit prems, 3) dont really tryhard. 
  • If we had a ranked tier 8 format, shit would hit the fan

Lights at t8 would work much better because most t8 tanks have shit VR and shit camo. 

7 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Lights at t8 would work much better because most t8 tanks have shit VR and shit camo. 

Except that T8 lights have shit view range now too.

21 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

I’ve got high hopes for the HWK 12 which has 410m base view range and insane hp/t. It’s unremarkable camo value might spoil the party though. Soon find out.

7 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

also get outspotted by Lowes and stealthy TDs 

22 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Because all that matters for scouts is VR and not VR+Camo... Seriously using your logic RHM is better than t100lt at scouting.... My ELC EVEN 90 outspots anything outside of a cheese wedge with a camo net.  Seriously I know you may not play lights a lot but I thought everyone at wotlabs treats this as obvious now. Lights are still better at spotting than meds unless you suck at spotting.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:00 AM, Haswell said:

I miss 7/42.

I also miss 7/42 battles, except when both teams were campy and passive for the first 8 minutes.

16 hours ago, Bavor said:

I also miss 7/42 battles, except when both teams were campy and passive for the first 8 minutes.

That was every game!!

I didnt hate grand battles, the reason I disabled it was because it was only fun in a patton or something with mobility.  Getting a GB in the E100 was agony - get spotted, 5 JPZ start shooting you while you crawl towards cover.   

If the grand battles could be entered deliberately, the situation would be very different. Having to gamble on MM was the exact same problem we had in the first place. But you know the reason WG chose both to set it up this way and to take down frontline for so long- the random queues were being threatened. As a temporary short term event, anything goes. But if there were any kind of long term alternative to the randoms, the whole business model comes apart at the seams. They need the randoms to be your only option and they need the randoms to be made of ebola and down syndrome, otherwise how will they motivate us not just to play but to grind and to spend.

Was it always this way? I don't even know. It didn't feel this way four years ago.

I still don't see the reason why WG does not combine the system we have now and the option to join Grand Battles deliberately. We could have the best of both worlds and more people would be happy.