Sign in to follow this  
Fulcrous

The VK 72.01 (K) - The King of Heavy Tanks - Still in progress

18 posts in this topic

EDIT: Seems to be an issue with formatting in terms of spoilers. Unfortunately I do not understand why this is the case. If that could be fixed it would be appreciated.

VK 72.01 (K) - The King of Heavy Tanks

Introduction  
In a meta-game that has devolved from the historically dynamic gameplay of vision, flex, and map rotations to a primitive style of brawling in lanes and corridors, the relevance of medium and fast heavy tanks has severely diminished. As vision, flex, and map rotations became less important, the ability to survive, deal large amounts of damage in a single trade, and anchoring of positions has become paramount to dominating games. Many players still have conflicts as to which tanks reign supreme. The top 1% will argue that given the afore-mentioned parameters, the Object 277, Object 705A, Super Conqueror, 113 or WZ-111 model 5A are the optimal heavy tanks for this shift in the meta-game. I regret to inform you that none are correct. It is the VK 72.01 (K) - the King of Heavy Tanks. That’s right teamoldmill. Germans are #1.

My Qualifications

•           Literally the highest win rate by a large margin in the VK 72.01 (K) on NA/EU according to DPGwhores.com whilst having competitive DPG with the top 10 players and at least 150 games played (data is outdated on DPGwhores).
  •       No one comes close in terms of win-rate. At the time of writing the guide, I am currently at 240+ battles in the VK 72.01 (K) with a win rate of 75.83%.

gtiFsVI.png

Crew Skills, Consumables, Equipment and Shell Configuration

LBSy3Bb.jpg

Recommended skill order.

Commander – BIA | 6th Sense | Jack of All Trades | Recon | Repairs
Gunner – BIA | Snapshot | Armorer | Repairs | Firefighting
Driver – BIA | Preventative Maintenance | Smooth Ride | Repairs | Firefighting
Radio Operator – BIA | Situational Awareness | Repairs | Firefighting | Camouflage
Loader – BIA | Safe Stowage | Intuition | Repairs | Firefighting | Camouflage

All other skills give too little of a benefit to prioritize or are solved from usage of bonds.

•           Large Caliber Tank-Gun Rammer or  Innovative Loading System
  •          Vertical Stabilizers Mk2 or Stabilizing Equipment System
  •          Improved Ventilations Class 3 or Venting System
  •           4 AP | 25 HEAT | 6 HE
  •           Large Repair Kit | Large Med Kit | Chocolate | Fire Fighting

Rammer is fairly obvious. You want to maximize the number of shells you are firing in a given match. Rammer cuts the excruciatingly long reload by nearly 2s. Vertical stabilizers and ventilations are a must.
There are no exceptions. Given the tank’s lower rate of DPM compared to most heavies, you want to ensure that your shots hit as often as possible. The more shots you hit, the more likely you will penetrate
and therefore deal damage. Flat DPM means nothing in the face of effective DPM (damage that is actually capable of being dealt in a given scenario).
For example, the Badger has nearly 4300 DPM when fully
kitted out. However, the effective DPM is actually a lot less due to the fact that it has subpar premium penetration and requires tanks to either be tracked or sitting in front of it to deal damage. Simply put, if you
are unable to hit a target, penetrate, and deal damage, it does not matter how much theoretical DPM you have. This is especially more pronounced a corridor meta,  where peek-a-boom and side-scraping has become
common place.  In other words, most situations result in trading 1 shell fired for 1 shell taken in return. Therefore maximizing alpha and penetration per engagement maximizes your ability to deal damage in any given
situation in the current meta.

You run primarily HEAT for 350mm of penetration in a super-heavy meta. Using anything else is folly. AP is situational such as when penetration doesn't matter (i.e. lower tier targets) and HE is for hull-down TDs
or Super Conquerors. An alternative loadout is to drop AP entirely and run 10 HE.

Pros

•          thicc
  •           350 HEAT penetration
  •           Surprisingly good gun handling (0.08 turret dispersion soft stats and 0.38 base accuracy)
  •           7° gun depression
  •           Large amounts of module damage
  •           Mobile (compared to other superheavies)
  •           2500 health pool
  •           Insane armor profile
  •           Carry potential (easily able to maintain 70%+ solo win rates)

Cons

•           Below average damage-per-minute (DPM)
  •           Shell velocity (757m/s for AP and 606m/s for HEAT). Requires you to have a good sense of how to pre-aim shells.
  •           Rear-mounted turret
  •           Turret weak-spots
  •           Requires high base game-knowledge to perform well

A look at the VK 72.01 (K) armor profile

Frontal view

bfM4EWQ.png

Side view

ecpfMOv.png

Rear view

SIBeW0e.png

As we can see, there are multiple zones of armor on the VK 7201 that are readily penetrable when exposed (marked in green). Thus you may ask, what is the point in playing the VK 7201 when there are numerous weak-spots that tanks such as the Type 5 Heavy or Super Conqueror may simply ignore? Well, let’s take a look at the armor profiles when the VK 7201 is angling and side-scraping.

Angled.

ANjg8cr.png

When you angle, you want only want to allow the enemy to see what is directly to the left of the “imaginary hard cover”. Note that it remains transparent to allow a 3D view of how you should be angling. Give yourself enough space so that once the enemy is baited to fire into the “weak” points, drive forward and trade 750 alpha for a near-guaranteed non-penetration. Take note that this POV is from a medium tank’s perspective. For taller tanks like turreted TDs (i.e. T110E4) or heavies (i.e. E5/50B), the bottom red and orange zones become ~50 to 100mm thicker in effective armor whereas the upper zone loses ~50mm EFA.

Improper side-scraping

W6JW2Zf.png

When you side-scrape improperly, you expose TWO potential weak-spots (the 1 orange and 1 green zone). While this may work against lower tier opponents, it a bad habit to side-scrape like this as standard ammunition from tier 10 tanks will have a reasonable percentage of penetrating the 280-300mm zone below the turret. Furthermore, once we factor in premium ammunition (the standard being 340mm HEAT), 2 zones become penetrable at a reasonable rate. Remember. The key to playing the VK 72.01 (K) successfully is dealing as much damage as possible whilst taking as little in return. As we will see in the next slide, when we properly side-scrape such that the track/hull is parallel to the terrain you are using as cover, the weak-points disappear entirely.

[/spoiler]

Proper side-scraping

ch5TLcU.png

Always get into the habit of side-scraping like this. It will help you deal with tier 10 TDs much more effectively as their penetration percentages will significantly drop as you lose the weak-spots above.

Playstyle

The key to playing the VK 72.01 (K) correctly lies with an intimate knowledge of EFA values when side-scraping and angling and being able to make minute adjustments as situations occur – whilst being as aggressive as possible. As you can see from the two side-scraping positions (above), the slightest difference can completely hide and strengthen multiple weak points in armor. The clips below are an example of how you can be completely exposed, yet be protected from multiple angles simply from micro-positioning. The following clips demonstrate how you can be aggressive in every  encounter and therefore control the pace of the match.

I would highly recommend playing around in tanks.gg to see familiarize yourself with how the armor fares against premium rounds from tank destroyers to optimize your play.
Furthermore it is important to have a deep understanding of weak-spots to abuse the 350mm of HEAT penetration and the 150mm caliber shell (for AP overmatches). This includes but is not limited to WZ-111 5A gun mantlets, RU med turrets, various turret roofs of heavy tanks and so forth. If you would like more details, please PM me or post below to add on to the guide.

Recommend Map Positions

To be added.

Thank you for taking the time to read the guide. I am currently busy with work this week and next so I am lacking time to release a complete guide. I will be adding on to it as the week progresses (especially recommended map positions).

Nice write up, I need to play mine more!Your baiting shots tactic is quite reminiscent of how I used to play the VK4502B at its peak, and I'll have to try it with this tank. I also default to overangling it on a sidescrape like an E-100/Maus/E-75, so a tighter sidescrape will definitely help. Thanks!

Also, teamoldmill

f4bmn5t.jpg

Just pointing out, isn't the armor values on Tanks.gg bugged like hell? LFP is absolutely not that weak, from my experience on fighting against those, I'm almost certain it's Pz VII levels, and the side weakspot seems to be still there. Not to mention those 0 armor track links on the turret, lul

IIRC the armor layout is similar to Pz VII except the mantlet holes are somewhat fixed. Correct me if I am wrong. The armor is strong regardless, though

32 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Just pointing out, isn't the armor values on Tanks.gg bugged like hell? LFP is absolutely not that weak, from my experience on fighting against those, I'm almost certain it's Pz VII levels, and the side weakspot seems to be still there. Not to mention those 0 armor track links on the turret, lul

IIRC the armor layout is similar to Pz VII except the mantlet holes are somewhat fixed. Correct me if I am wrong. The armor is strong regardless, though

Flat on it's still weak. Over-angling is the only way to bounce 340HEAT. Even then it's still a 40-50% chance to pen.

The mantlet holes still exist. I just didn't bother putting that in the frontal armor profile as if you are exposing that when the enemy has a shot, you are playing the 7201 (K) wrong.

@sr360 I felt like throwing in teamoldmill in there since he would always complain about Germans being under-powered on the official forums back in the day. :minidoge:

4.3k average over 240 battles is absolutely absurd.  I remember when they first started handing them out for the clan wars campaign reward and everyone called it the fail lowe.  Has it seen any adjustments since then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoFVhYX6KdM

@Fulcrous hello dpg brother :^)

Last I played this thing is when they added the Pz. VII and buffed the shit out of the lower plate. This thing was an absolute machine at racing into your face. Poked corners like a god unless you had a HEATPZE100 or E3/E4 waiting for you.  

Vwi7pW7.png

6 hours ago, Zepherex said:

@Fulcrous hello dpg brother :^)

Last I played this thing is when they added the Pz. VII and buffed the shit out of the lower plate. This thing was an absolute machine at racing into your face. Poked corners like a god unless you had a HEATPZE100 or E3/E4 waiting for you. 

Hello dpg brother. It's a shame DPGwhores is oudated by months now :(

So I tried Fulcrous' technique... and had a 7,380 dmg blocked game. Would have been more but apparently an enemy T28 Prototype carried 20 HE rounds and fired them all at me

17 hours ago, sr360 said:

So I tried Fulcrous' technique... and had a 7,380 dmg blocked game. Would have been more but apparently an enemy T28 Prototype carried 20 HE rounds and fired them all at me

Jesus I hate those twats. Especially since sooner or later they kill your modules. They will lose but they will ruin your game if they permatrack you with he for example

On 11/13/2018 at 4:32 PM, sr360 said:

Any chance you can post that to your non-potato games thread?

13 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Any chance you can post that to your non-potato games thread?

Here ya go, with a bonus Type 5 carry included