Sign in to follow this  
Bavor

Walmart's over priced and poorly built Gaming PCs

26 posts in this topic

I loved the glue on the USB 3.0 connector and the amazingly high quality power supply.  The lack of airflow in the case will certainly do wonders for performance when parts overheat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bavor said:

The lack of airflow in the case will certainly do wonders for performance when parts overheat. 

Doesn't really matter when nothing in that case will generate remotely enough heat. You missed the part where he received a 1400 walmart dollars product while paying 2000 walmart dollars.

I say walmart dollars because everyone knows it's worth less than the actual national currency.

Written review for people who hate videos (like me): https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3401-walmart-gaming-pc-overpowered-dtw3-not-worth-it-review

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Haswell said:

Doesn't really matter when nothing in that case will generate remotely enough heat. You missed the part where he received a 1400 walmart dollars product while paying 2000 walmart dollars.

I say walmart dollars because everyone knows it's worth less than the actual national currency.

Written review for people who hate videos (like me): https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3401-walmart-gaming-pc-overpowered-dtw3-not-worth-it-review

The CPU and GPU will generate enough heat to eventually throttle in a longer gaming session due to a lack of airflow and the awful CPU cooler with the small 92mm CPU cooler fan.  I didn't miss that part.  Its just a shipping mistake hopefully, so I didn't mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

It's obviously an elite gaming system, its got colored LED fans FFS, what more do you want?

dont forget fancy glass panels, only the MLG pro gamers have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC building is so standardized that the only thing you can fuck up is using bad parts, or being a retard when it comes to assembly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ham_ said:

PC building is so standardized that the only thing you can fuck up is using bad parts, or being a retard when it comes to assembly.

That are the easy parts every newbie can figure out to some extend with some research and a little help.

 

Adjusting the build/components to the usecase, maximizing the bang for the buck and validation is what makes the difference, especially if you look at botique stores like Pudget Systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ham_ said:

PC building is so standardized that the only thing you can fuck up is using bad parts, or being a retard when it comes to assembly.

both of which walmart managed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyle at Bitwit did his own video on this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 5:36 AM, Ham_ said:

PC building is so standardized that the only thing you can fuck up is using bad parts, or being a retard when it comes to assembly.

I've seen people try to plug the PCI-E 8pin into the CPU power and vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmmmmmmmm, here I am sitting with my plain black case and no SSD :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

Mmmmmmmmmm, here I am sitting with my plain black case and no SSD :-/

I had a beige box running server 2000 on a Quantum Fireball. I think it still works, I just don't know where the hell it is right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haswell said:

I had a beige box running server 2000 on a Quantum Fireball. I think it still works, I just don't know where the hell it is right now.

Was it your gaming system tho?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Was it your gaming system tho?

No, it's a file server.

Thing is, I can still ping it and it still responds. It's halfway across the world from where I am right now, been moved around countless times, and now I have no idea where it physically is except somewhere around Ontario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Haswell said:

No, it's a file server.

Thing is, I can still ping it and it still responds. It's halfway across the world from where I am right now, been moved around countless times, and now I have no idea where it physically is except somewhere around Ontario.

Who keeps it going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks and friends I used to work with, it's probably sitting in some closet masquerading as something. The box jumps around almost like a VPN on wheels. That's what we kept it around for anyways since it's slow as fuck, no idea how or why the single remaining drive hasn't died yet since the mirror got tired of life years ago.

I should probably start seeding Pi's around the world for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Mmmmmmmmmm, here I am sitting with my plain black case and no SSD :-/

Brah. I got a 128MB SSD for $35 like 6 months ago. Not big enough to put any games on, but the difference having the OS on it is night and day. The possibility of a restart no longer strikes fear into my heart. PITA to install but totally worthwhile, my life was a lie before the SSD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Yeah, I know. Problem is, in order to get a M.2 drive I would need a new motherboard, which in turn means a new CPU and RAM

EDIT: Oh, and to make matters worse the prices on PC components here are seriously jacked (Roughly 25% to 50% more expensive than in the US) and I just had to buy a new washing machine (My old one failed, repair cost was basically the price of a replacement) and I have had car repairs to pay for too. It's been a crappy two months for my wallet :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Yeah, I know. Problem is, in order to get a M.2 drive I would need a new motherboard, which in turn means a new CPU and RAM

EDIT: Oh, and to make matters worse the prices on PC components here are seriously jacked (Roughly 25% to 50% more expensive than in the US) and I just had to buy a new washing machine (My old one failed, repair cost was basically the price of a replacement) and I have had car repairs to pay for too. It's been a crappy two months for my wallet :-/

You don't have enough water to run the washing machine anyway. Get the computer parts. You know you want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hellsfog said:

You don't have enough water to run the washing machine anyway. Get the computer parts. You know you want to.

Water shortage is over and the new machine is A+++ efficiency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

I would need a new motherboard

M.2. to PCIE

https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Adapter-Express-Controller-Expansion/dp/B075MDH28Y

 

(i picked a random one)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

That's not bad actually. I still ultimately would like to upgrade for real though, but I guess something like this would do as a stopgap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst case(for thermals) Gamers Nexus tested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.