Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fire_Hive

AMX M4 mle. 45

113 posts in this topic

Soooo... about this tank. Is it as bad as people say it is? I ask this cuz I'll be grinding the french heavy line somewhere in the future.

Did you guys free exp through it? Cuz 81k exp is quite a lot for such a bad (paper wise) tank. Comfort me into grinding through it...

I...skipped it due to all the horror stories. I have heard some words of comfort that it's similar to the FCM, which ain't a bad tank. But, I believe there are horror stories for a reason. Maybe I'll try it out on the test server one day to see if I made the right decision.

Hey, go try the tank out on test first!

It's tolerable, and actually about as fragile as the autoloaders.  It will help you learn how to stay alive and deal dmg in the "french heavy" style.

The gun has a long aim time, but if you abuse draw range, it's accurate enough to really get some good dmg/kills in.

I skipped the lorraine recently, but i wouldn't skip this unless you absolutely HAVE to.

Gun is good, but the tank is just too slow for how fragile. I'd probably like it a lot more if I had 6th on the commander (~80% there). Not the worst grind by any stretch.

But my opinion is of questionable reliability: I liked the Lorraine 40t and hated the E-75. Also I'm really bad at winning.

I first used it when it was new, and had awful gun depression. Now it gets -10° frontally and should serve reasonably well as an oversized Panther.

I first used it when it was new, and had awful gun depression. Now it gets -10° frontally and should serve reasonably well as an oversized Panther.

Yes but only if you keep they turret pointing towards the front. The moment the turret points to the side the gun depression disappears. Completely ridiculous!

I free-xp-ed track and part of the turret (if I remember correctly) - after that it still wasn't pleasant but doable. I had the occasional great game and a lot of meh ones. Most importantly, I strictly kept to playing it in platoons and only for daily doubles.

And yes, definitively a second line tank. The only thing that sometimes bounces a shell is the gun mantlet. Sometimes one can also join a medpack

105mm goldspam makes it considerably more pleasant, as it's one of the few guns where the APCR does more damage as well as pen. Still incredibly fragile though.

It's tolerable, and actually about as fragile as the autoloaders.  It will help you learn how to stay alive and deal dmg in the "french heavy" style.

The gun has a long aim time, but if you abuse draw range, it's accurate enough to really get some good dmg/kills in.

I skipped the lorraine recently, but i wouldn't skip this unless you absolutely HAVE to.

This. The grind is not that long at all and this tank can teach you how to stay beyond the draw range. The HP pool is acceptable and the gun is quite good. Mobility is very good and can allow you to respond to a failing flank, reset a cap, or assist in rolling up/cleaning up a flank. 

I didn't mind the grind so much. 

I actually liked this tank. I only used the 105mm with gold rounds though. It has decent turret armor, I played it sort of like a Pershing I guess. Flank, get hull down. I'd put some replays up but I just deleted all of them.

I ground it. It was actually mostly okay, basically a Tiger with less armour but a better cannon.

i quite like it to. Still not a keeper and can't wait for the 50-100. i like the snipeyness and LOVE the pen. 

So just a tip - never skip a tank because you heard it was bad.  There are so many tanks that get a terrible rap because the mass of pubbies can't learn how to play them.  There are very few tanks that are completely hopeless.  Playing a "bad" tank can help you learn a new play style and improve your understanding of the game.

As for the AMX M4 45, it's a very workable tank (I ended with a 70% win rate).  Nice gun depression allows it to abuse terrain and great penetration on the 90mm lets you hurt anything you run in to.  I played it before gold rounds were available and thus used the 90mm the whole time, although used the 105mm with gold rounds seems like a viable option.  The tank is also pretty mobile for a heavy.

It is a pretty soft target so you want to avoid getting shot.  The other thing that drove me nuts was the long aim time on the 90mm.  If it weren't for that, I would have really enjoyed playing through it.  As it was, it was a pretty easy grind.

So just a tip - never skip a tank because you heard it was bad.  There are so many tanks that get a terrible rap because the mass of pubbies can't learn how to play them.  There are very few tanks that are completely hopeless.  Playing a "bad" tank can help you learn a new play style and improve your understanding of the game.

As for the AMX M4 45, it's a very workable tank (I ended with a 70% win rate).  Nice gun depression allows it to abuse terrain and great penetration on the 90mm lets you hurt anything you run in to.  I played it before gold rounds were available and thus used the 90mm the whole time, although used the 105mm with gold rounds seems like a viable option.  The tank is also pretty mobile for a heavy.

It is a pretty soft target so you want to avoid getting shot.  The other thing that drove me nuts was the long aim time on the 90mm.  If it weren't for that, I would have really enjoyed playing through it.  As it was, it was a pretty easy grind.

Seconding this. I played it after the depression buff and premium ammo workability. You gotta learn how to be huge and soft and still win/do damage at some tier, so it might as well be at tier 7. Because this line only gets huger and softer. 

Played like 14 solo games, tank was okay, but teams were horrible, ragesold/xp-ed through it.

if you platoon 7s/have a higher tolerance for blood pressure increases, you can get through it just fine. 105mm goldspam is broken as all hell, DPM wise

I found that the best way to play it was using 105mm with APCR.

Prepare yourself for massive credit losses though; I incurred net losses of 10k/match

Prepare yourself for massive credit losses though; I incurred net losses of 10k/match

No no, the T69 incurs massive credit loss. As tonight will be the swan song of the T69 I am prepared to lose 50-80k a match!

No no, the T69 incurs massive credit loss. As tonight will be the swan song of the T69 I am prepared to lose 50-80k a match!

Yeah... 10K a match isn't massive. T69 is up there.

Worse is the T54E1 grinding up the 105... I was losing 70K a match there...

Playing a "bad" tank can help you learn a new play style and improve your understanding of the game. 

This.

Playing a "hard" tank and doing well in it is an excelent learning experience.

I'll have to give the 105 a whirl. I haven't used that gun on anything but the ARL v36 yet. I used the 90 mm F3 on the ARL 44 and thought it worked pretty well.

Well this On Track event just started and I have about 75k free xp to help get into the more expensive tanks on this line pronto.  Currently on the ARL with everything researched and am deciding whether to push ahead out of the ARL, or wait, grind the ARL and push through the AMX quicker.  I still have plenty of free xp for modules, 75k is just what I'm willing to put directly into this line for the event.  What do you all think?

I have about 100k free exp, using ~22k to get to the tier 5, grinding 5 and 6 out, and I was considering skipping 7 but I think I'll just go for the credit investment of running it with 105 APCR and just free exp past stock on all tanks. I've seen people do very well with it. It's nice that I have so much unlocked already from having played through the TDs and lights.

BTW, with the increased credits from the on-track event you pretty much break even running all APCR on the 105, plus or minus a little.

Just finished the AMX M4 in 51 games, strictly using 90mm. 2k DPG. I'm not sure why my DPG was so high; for all intents and purposes, this is just a bad copy of the Tiger H. The HP is much worse, DPM is much worse, acc worse, aimtime worse, armor worse, etc.

But... at the same time, it forces you to play in a very different way from many tanks that give you the "i stronk tank must kil" mentality. It's good at minimizing exposure (to an extent, the aimtime holds it back here), it doesn't have any penetration problems until you're stuck with E-75s and T-54s, and it has no traits that cripple it.

It wasn't good, but I'd hesitate to say it's a disappointing tank. It's an interesting test of what can be done with enough pen and gun depression.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0