Fire_Hive

AMX M4 mle. 45

132 posts in this topic

The planets sort of aligned on this for me. I'd been planning to get the AMX 50 100 for 7/42 play (tourneys, etc...), then they announced the On Track event. So began my grind up the French heavy line. Then they announcement that 7/42 would be an option for organized battles in 8.9. What luck!

So I am making my way through this tank now. I am about 11k into the the tank with the tracks, turret, and the 105. Since time is of the essence, I don't have the top 90mm unlocked or the top engine, and I think I will skip them in order to get the 50 100 on the cheap (my playing time is limited). I already have the 100mm on the 50 100 unlocked via the medium line.

I think the 105mm is entirely viable on this tank. I default to premium shells and only load standard when encountering a soft target (and I think of it). It sure is soft after playing the ARL, but that is something that can be compensated for via play style. Not a great tank, but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.

Robert

I too like the 105 for the better Alpha ... 240 damage no biggie  ... get pounded for 330 a couple times and they tend to back up

Upgraded the engine and suspension and turret prior to getting the 105, which is next. However, the improved mobility allows me to contribute. 

I make like a nuke sub and hide with pride, conserving HP, shooting into the scrum when I see reds doing their reloads. 

This is among the worst grinds I have ever had to endure, this tank has no redeeming features at all.

I kind of liked the amx m4. Played with 90mm gun and almost never needed to shoot any sprem. It is pure 2nd line tank though but it has awesome mobility and the turret is kinda trollish. Doesn't really have very good dpm. Miles better than the tiger imho. I don't think it teaches you anything for the amx 50 100 except that don't try to sidescrape in them. Both are big with fairly unusable armor but play completely differently. If you liked t1 heavy I think you will like this as well. It is one of the very few mobile snipers in the game and as such works extremely well in t8 and t9 battles where other t7 heavies except t29 have problems being useful.

Herp derped everything with the 105mm gold spam, wasn't a bad tank, it's just that tier 7 heavies are so damn good overall.

I cant get this tank to work. Partly my lack of experience with soft tanks, Im sure, but the inability to do anything other than snipe is killing me slowly.

Ive tried both guns, and the 105 is working better for me, even without sprem (Ive got 5 rounds loaded, because creds). 

Almost the worst tank Ive ever driven. But not quite.

I've had some outstanding games in this tank (including one where I got a steel wall) and some pretty epic turds. The majority of the games being slightly above the expected values. I don't hate it as much as I did in the beginning, but it will not stay in my garage.

BDR G1B was sluggish and tall as a barn, but the alpha and pen were great.

ARL 44 had good gun options with high silver penetration and decent armor.

That said, the AMX M4 45 may be the single worst tank that I've played in the last 6 months.

I can't wait to sell this craptastic tank LOL.

This tank is giving me insane headache. How am I suppose to play when all the other heavies (t29, tiger, is) are so much better? When I'm top tier I'm really having hard time dealing with their heavies.

This tank is giving me insane headache. How am I suppose to play when all the other heavies (t29, tiger, is) are so much better? When I'm top tier I'm really having hard time dealing with their heavies.

Don't go toe to toe with heavies? The M4 doesn't have much, but what it does have is absolutely incredible pen-if-it-hits AP/APCR. Just peek things with the depression and let your APCR do the aiming for you.

If you really must, spam APCR with the 105mm. Your DPM is just as good as the Tiger's with it, you should be able to overpower anything.

The AMX M4 is pretty similar to the Tiger. Both have basically crap armour and good weaponry.

Don't try to brawl, use range and spots to lay down damage.

and rejoice in knowing that it leads to the 50 100 which is a great tank

I just finished the grind on the AMX M4 mle. 45.  I actually enjoyed running this tank & I'm actually going to keep it.  You have to run the 105mm & spam premium rounds.  This is a supporting tank & can't handle front line brawls.  In fact, it plays about the same role as the Tiger 1.  I find these very similar tanks.

As for my numbers:

AMX M4  Battles:  65, WN8:  2417, Win Rate:  58.5%, Average Frags:  1.3, Average Damage: 1446.  My Tiger 1 numbers compared:

Tiger 1   Battles:  95, WN8:  2288, Win Rate:  64.9%, Average Frags:  1.2, Average Damage:  1329. 

One note is that I have owned the Tiger 1 for a long time & played alot of games in this tank as a noob. 

I'm coming to fucking HATE this tank. HATE it. Its armor is shit, the gun troll bounces/dirt shots everything, the handling is poor due to aim time, it's slow, no view range. Just a POS. The only advantage is has going for it is high AP pen which is a joke since gold ammo for credits. Load a gold round in any other tier 7 heavy and there! You now have a completely superior tank!

I don't know why but I absolutely loved every single tank from BDR to 50 100, including the M4 45. Maybe it just fits my playstyle, dunno.

Just finished out this tank tonight after getting it earlier this week. Double xp is the best thing ever. Overall I didn't mind it too much and had a few great games, but overall it's just too slow for how massive and squishy it is. I do love the 50 100 though!

I just noticed two details of why this tank is utter trash:

1, it loses all gun depression when aiming sideways. So you're trying to get hull down and then suddenly your depression vanished while moving around.

2, it's 90mm in a tier where 105-122mm is becoming the norm. So even though you have plenty of pen it doesn't get as much normalization bonus for a large caliber striking thinner armor. So all those shots to the top of a turret or a sharply sloped plate which will overmatch with a T29 suddenly are just fucking autobounces with this POS 90mm. Cromwell? BOUNCE! T-43? BOUNCE! (Insert light tank)? BOUNCE! 212 pen that gets trolled by every stupid fucking sharp angle it encounters. You have a gun with bad handling, long aim time, unexceptional accuracy, and then it will troll bounce if the shot hits any edges. AWESOME!

Gonna try the 105mm with some of that gold spam.

Ok, yeah, should have tried much sooner, the 105 is like a bajillion times better. This tank starts making sense with an actual niche, it has serviceable alpha and DPM without gold and good alpha with superior DPM with gold. I was concerned about being able to fight up with 223 pen instead of 259, but 259 doesn't mean anything when the shots fling all over the place and troll bounce anyway. Up close 223 pen is sufficient for pretty much any situation and you actually have enough damage output to be effective.

The French 90mm is just a screwy gun, it doesn't really work on any platform. On the ARL its low DPM and aim time hold it back, on the ARL V39 the aim time murders due to the fixed gun, on the AMX 45 the lack of alpha and DPM render it impotent. On the FCM50t it's halfway usable, but by that tier they've cranked the aim time to the point where it's just another medium gun.

I used the 105 on it. It was a long time ago now, but I thought it was quite good with the 105. I have around 2,100 DPG in it, which is higher than a lot of my tier 8 tanks.

Originally thought this tank was a strict downgrade from the ARL as the bounciness of the ARL's front plate was fantastic. However, the enhanced mobility combined with the surprisingly troll front armor of the M4 45 has won me mostly over. It's pretty similar to the Tiger H, which I really enjoyed, and the 105 makes it pretty good at-tier.

This grind is brutal. I haven't tried the 105 mm yet, but the armor on this tank is not even a bad joke. It stops nothing. Almost feels like my life expectancy in the tank is dependent on how many more dangerous people have to be dealt with before I get 2 shotted (alright, maybe 3). Have not felt so frustrated with a tank since playing the M3 Lee.