Gene_Inari

The Queen of the Desert - Matilda

26 posts in this topic

237px-UK_Matilda_front_left.jpg237px-UK-Matilda_rear_left.jpg

The Matilda, a Tier-IV tank that is often underrated and ridiculed for its ponderously slow speed. However, it makes up its lack of speed with many other great strengths. For me, the Matilda is a Tier-V heavy in all but speed, HP, and damage-per-shot.

Tank Stats:

• Hit Points: 340 HP (370 with upgraded turret)
  • Engine Power: 174 hp (190 hp with upgraded engine)
  • Speed Limit: 24 km/h (about 15 mp/h)
  • Hull Traverse: 34 deg/s
  • Turret Traverse: 34 deg/s 
  • Power/Wt Ratio 6.57 hp/t (7.17 hp/t with upgraded engine)
  • Hull Armor: 75/70/55 mm
  • Turret Armor: 75/75/75 mm
  • View Range: 330 m (340 m with upgraded turret)
  • Signal Range 350 m (450 m with top radio)
Crew: 4
  • Commander (Radio Operator)
  • Gunner
  • Driver
  • Loader
Gun Stats:
  • Name: QF 2-pdr Mk. X-B
  • Ammo Count: 92
  • Average Damage: 55/55 HP
  • Average Penetration: 121/145 mm
  • Ammo Costs: 35/800 (2 Gold)
  • Fire Rate: 28.57 r/m (2.1 second reload)
  • Accuracy: 0.36 m
  • Aim Time: 1.9 s
  • Depression/Elevation: -10°/+20°
Now with the numbers out of the way.

The Matilda, while listed as a Tier-4 Medium, plays more like a Heavy. While slow, it has armor that is comparable to a KV-1. The Matilda has great front armor with a small, compact, and well-angled 75mm front. The sides, while a decent 70mm, is mostly flat. It's long, narrow profile makes sidescraping somewhat feasible. The rear is a reasonable 55. The turret is 75mm all-around. In games where it is top tank, you can safely ignore all other tanks. TDs and other Matildas are your only threats in Tier-IV.

View and Radio Range for a Tier-IV is decent. However it's far too slow to be of any use of a scouting role except for late game.

For mobility, the Matlida is a bit of an oddball. With a transmission that only allows 24 km/h of speed and an underwhelming power-to-weight ratio, the Matilda is undeniably slow. It doesn't get much of a boost going downhill and it absolutely crawls in poor terrain. Don't even think about going uphill in this tank. However the Matilda boasts a speedy hull and gun traverse speed 34 deg/s for a combined 68 deg/s traverse. Meaning that it's great for taking out suiscouts in your line of fire and is impossible for more mobile tanks to circle it.

Now the gun. The top gun is the X-B. The most standout trait of this gun is its 121 average penetration, or a range of 91-151 mm of penetration. This thing can even penetrate higher tiered heavies at range. It can also penetrate itself on decent penetration rolls. The X-B is a high RoF, low-damage, high-pen gun. A single shot on it's own will do only a measly 41-69, but it can throw damage out every two seconds with virtually guaranteed penetration. APCR gives a modest boost to penetration, use it as extra insurance to penetrate harder targets. It's great for taking out tanks that are tunnel-visioned on other targets. It also has a great psychological impact, throwing out penetrating shots every two seconds, while for meager damage, can rattle poorer players.

Another great aspect of the gun is the 10 degrees of depression and 75mm of front turret armor. The Matilda can be a great hull-down sniper tank where it can't afford to have it's meager HP pool touched.

Pros:

• Armor: this tank is outright impervious to all lower-tier tanks and can bounce bigger guns as well.
  • Penetration: the X-B can reliably penetrate even Tier-VI tanks.
  • High RoF: my Matilda boasts a 1.77 second reload.
  • Quick Traverse: with 68 deg/s combined hull and gun traverse, it can always face threats head on, and can retaliate reliably against circling tanks.
  • Excellent Depression: with -10 degrees of depression, it can easily hull-down with its 75mm thick turret.
  • Accurate on the Move: The X-B has a "miss fast" mentality. Any misses can be followed up quickly on with a penetrating hit.
  • Often Underestimated: there is a certain lack of "fear factor" to the Matilda and is a relative unknown.
Cons:
  • HP: as a Tier-IV tank, it's HP is average. However as a "heavy" its HP pool is meager. Penetrations are costly and it can be taken down easily by higher tiered tanks and HEAT-derps that are common at Tier-V. It's possibly to be one-shotted by M4/PzIV HEAT shells and TDs that can also use HEAT.
  • Slow: This goes without saying. A roflstomp means you're too far behind to contribute and its slow speed makes it inflexible to changing fronts.
  • Low Alpha: At only 50 average damage per shot, even Tier-III tanks need multiple hits to down.
Suggested Equipment:
  • Rammer: Maximize your already high RoF.
  • Vents: RoF, Aim time, Accuracy
  • Enhanced Gun Laying Drive: Keeps Aim time in line with RoF
  • Toolbox: Cut down track repair time
  • Coated Optics: Maximize late-game use of your accuracy
Suggested Consumables:
  • Repair Kit
  • Health Kit
  • Premium Repair Kit
Crew Skills:
  • Commander: Sixth Sense, Repair, BIA, Recon/Situational Awareness
  • Gunner: Snap Shot, Repair, BIA, Designated Target
  • Driver: Off-road Driving, Repair, BIA
  • Loader: Repair, Adrenaline Rush, BIA
Closing notes: this is my first tank guide and I'm just doing a tank I'm familiar with in my limited experience. Any sections to change/add and suggestions I will be glad to take.

Sources:

• 200 Matilda battles with a 60% WR
  • WoT Wiki

Oh god its lovely, 

shot_003_zps3cc19289.jpg

shot_005_zpse4f7fe8f.jpg

*(Still play on the old account I made for my sibling, which doesnt play(not interested) Usually used to platoon with streamers that are beginners)

I'm using camo as the crew skill on mine. 10% base view reduction while moving, and 15% while stationary, are more than enough to make camo an adequate choice, and at least at tiers 4 and 5 view mechanics abuse tends to be a viable strategy.

Everything also pretty much matches my observations.

I actually have mine set up for camo/view range as well. I thought it was too much of a deviation from the norm to include.

Maybe I'll make some changes.

Since the 8.6 patch Matilda top gun has become insanely accurate.  It was good before, now it's like a laser.  As for rof . . .  Perhaps the ultimate defensive troll tank.

kind of an old thread but I've got to say the Matilda is the best tank I've driven so far (not counting t49 lol).  I seriously love this thing, has my best dmg ratio, best wn7, best wr out of any tank.  The 53 dmg pens every 1.9 seconds or so can really make pubs panic, and it's got such great armor.

I really enjoy the Matilda.. for some odd reason. :) In tier 4 games its a nearly unstoppable monster.. In tier 5 I tend to play more defensive and hang back to allow the gun to work (yes, it takes a lot of shots to bring down those KV-1's and T1 Heavy's).  In tier 6 games, things get ugly quickly so I tend to be as defensive as I can and follow up doing what I can.  I play it regularly and enjoy it as it surely causes hate-rage in anyone who has to deal with its troll-armor. :)

I had a problem with people just chucking HE at my Matilda. Lots and lots of HE. So I put a spall liner on mine. This thing utterly trolls other players. HE spam doesn't work on me anymore unless it's from a 105/122, and even then I'm taking an extra hit to kill. Oh, and arty is most definitely frustrated with me :)

One thing I find hilarious in the Matilda is how quickly enemy tanks will roll back under cover once they're hit, even though it's just a pinprick. With the rapid fire gun, a Matilda can hit several tanks in succession, causing them all to roll back or dive for cover. I've held flanks against half a dozen higher tier tanks, all of whom dived for cover after that first penetrating hit, and none brave enough to be the first to cross the open ground to come after me.

Oh god its lovely,

You surely pulled out a lovely result in that game, but one not-unimportant detail: your platoon mate, also in Matilda, got knocked-out with minimal impact on the game.

Due to it's slow speed, this tank can be a lot more vulnerable than one would expect. Its driver or his team have to take out derp guns and take care of its flanks, or it's a sitting duck...

Tito

237px-UK_Matilda_front_left.jpg237px-UK-Matilda_rear_left.jpg

The Matilda, a Tier-IV tank that is often underrated and ridiculed for its ponderously slow speed.

• 200 Matilda battles with a 60% WR
  • WoT Wiki

The problem with it's designation is that WoT utterly misunderstands the idea of "infantry tank"  designation that the British used.  An infantry tank was a heavily armoured tank that was supposed to support infantry assaults on fortified positions to assist in breaking through defensive lines...i.e. it was a "heavy tank."  Therein lies the problem. It is wrongly designated as a medium tank and should correctly be identified as a heavy tank, because it's armour  at the time it was introduced was "proof" against most of the light anti-tank weapons in use.  All of the other infantry tanks are correctly identified as heavy tanks in the Brit line, excepting only the Valentine, which was independently developed as a commercial venture.

Erwin Rommel even had to turn his 88mm AA guns against the British Matilda attack at Arras in May 1940, AFTER the Matilda's defeated his panzers...

I can't stand the little bugger.

I just derp it in the face of the enemy teams regardless of the BT i'm playing in... and most of the time i don't even get close to the action!

It's making me crazy. I want that COnqueror/FV215 but heck, the grind is really getting on my nerves...

NOTE:

When it actually gets to kicking range is one of the best kickers in the 4-6 BT spread. Much more dangerous than most tier 5 mediums for instance. WHEN it gets there - which is very rarely.

I can't tell you its gonna get any better Swg112.. The Church 7/BP are equally slow, with the Crvon sluggish even with the top engine..  Both the Conq/Fv215b are so-so speed (mid-30s) as well.  The Brit heavy line seems to not be filled with much mobility with maybe the Church 1 having the best of the lot.  The L1A1/Sniper role though can be so much fun that I may ask you to push through the grind, but maybe in small doses.. :)

BP actually has not good top speed but agility and acceleration on flat ground aren't too bad.

Caernarvon is sluggish, but not slow by any reckoning.

Conqueror has M103 level mobility which i'm perfectly confortable with.

FV215b (120) has the best acceleration i have ever seen in an heavy tank, coupled with a monstrous rotation speed (some 90° of combined hull and turret). Yeah, it has 34kph top speed... which it reaches very fast and keeps under almost any conditions, going very fast even uphill.

Solid points, and more refined than the ones that I offered. Good stuff.  You are spot on about the turret/hull rotation on the fv215b too.. Combined together (much like the BP I'm thinking) any flanking med is in for an ugly surprise.

Also, other sweet points:

Conqueror trades some hull armor for a slightly better agility and a definitely better gun than the M103's (better RoF, aimtime and accuracy)

FV215b (120) has the best DPM-based gun an heavy could have, with reasonably good alpha, high RoF, instant aimtime and German accuracy. And the on-the-move dispersion factors are godly. Better than the T110E5's for instance, at the expense of a bit of armor and 1° of gun depression (E5 has 8°, 215b has 7°).

Also, it has 410m viewrange, meaning it can double up as a medium/flanker/spotter very well and, more generally, it can spot his own targets and/or see enemies before they see it. Big plus in my books.

Question regarding where to pen a Matilda, if you're in a Matilda yourself?

im having difficulty doing so even with APCR rounds.

Im in game now if someone could kindly PM me there with a link to an armor chart I can read, I would appreciate it.

Im in game now if someone could kindly PM me there with a link to an armor chart I can read, I would appreciate it.

Usually I just go through those three flat panels above and between the front fenders. The Little John is usually accurate enough to hit a flat spot or a view port that I seldom have bounces. The problem is the chopping a Matilda down 50 health at a time gives him plenty of time to do the same to me (unless he's a idiot tying to chew through the front of the turret).

Recently bought one and learning how to use it. I must admit, when the timer counts down at the start of the battle, I watch as others flash past me before I can leave the area! In one way it's handy as I can then work out which flank or area I can cover. I'm sticking with this Lady and see if I can add the bits mentioned above but it will take awhile yet  ;)

I make it a point to kill every Tilda I see in my tier IV TDs since I cant rely on my team to do so. I only fear them if I cant establish sufficient distance for vision control or I have to be too far from escape cover to engage. If I were a Tilda driver I would try to create those worrisome scenarios as much as possible, or some jackass invisiTDer like myself will ventilate you easily.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but hey, it's still on the first page.

I generally try to shoot for the turret ring, or the turret cheeks, as they seem to be fairly weak, and the Matilda's gun is accurate enough to hit them at reasonable range.

Also, here's a replay showing how effective it can be;

Victory!, Matilda, Fisherman's Bay, 1/22/14 7:18 AM: 2,140 nXP, 2,361 dmg

9 kills, including one against a Matilda IV.

Here's a Matilda replay of mine on Sand River from 8.9.

Despite the enemy team's best efforts, I take no damage. Not even the arty could hurt me.

I also managed to collect a Top Gun, Steel Wall, and Invader.

Victory!, Matilda, Sand River, 12/18/13 8:00 AM: 1,476 nXP, 1,343 dmg