Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OOPMan

How2Hellcat?

Question

Okay, I give up: How do I play the Hellcat?

I'm doing very well in the T49 and I just finished unlocking the T25 from my Jackson with a 61% WR after 49 battles yet somehow my Hellcat with 31 battles is sitting at a horribad 45% WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How

Do

I

Play

This

Damn

Thing?!?!?!?!?!

Useful info:

• Crew is at 92% (I couldn't bear to lift the guys from my T49, although I guess I will do it once I've unlocked the T25/2)
  • Configuration is maxed and about half-way towards T25/2
  • Equipment is Rammer, Camo Net and Binocs
  • Camo seems poor compared to the T49
  • Speed gets me killed because I end up over-extending...
  • Slow turret traverse is also a killer...

17 answers to this question

There are obviously many different ways of playing the Hellcat and very difficult to determine what makes a good Hellcat player. Some could argue that the highest damage per battle should show the best player. I would argue that is far from the case. The one that can win the most playing solo would naturally be the best player although there's no way of measuring this as platooned games doesnt get separated in any statistics anywhere.

Either way, How2Hellcat:

Use your epic speed straight from the start to get to good positions where you may catch the enemy off guard. Try to go for a position where you will either be far away from the enemy not to get spotted or somewhere where you can switch from hulldown to turretdown instantly. If its a tier6 game you will kill most tanks before they manage to get into cover. If you can catch 1 enemy tank like this, you have pretty much already turned the tide of the battle before anyone on their team has been able to even see any of your team mates. If you are lucky you can repeat this for a while. Keep in mind though, whereever you go, you must be able to escape without getting caught in a trap. Step 2 would be to try to locate enemies who have now turned into camping rather than moving to their initially planned camping spot. Try to catch enemy campers through either finding somewhere where your view range is superior to theirs and your cammo is superior to theirs. In this case you can start eating away at them without them even seeing you. If this is not possible, try to find somewhere where you can go hulldown/turretdown and pop up and down and shoot really soon after exposing your turret. The Hellcat has a really good aiming time and this in combination with a really small turret, gun depression and good turret armor makes it a really tough enemy to fight once it's in a good position. The smaller enemy guns can afford to shoot more often, although the smaller guns usually wont penetrate the mantlet or wont hit the weakspots on the turret. If they would do this, they would still only do a little bit of damage. The big guns however, can more easily damage you, although this is far from certain as you still have some massive angle on the upper mantlet. They do however need some time to aim and most players wouldnt risk missing. If they miss, then you have another free and safe shot to put into the enemy. As the acceleration is quite bad in the Hellcat it is really important to keep the momentum up and only stop when it is worth it. Try to only stop if you know you will be able to deal damage.

What I just described is sort of the optimal battle outcome, when everything is working great for you and the team is smart enough to join in and do their part, although this isnt always the case, sometimes you find yourself in a situation where the enemy team is the "attacking team". In this case you might have to resort into kiting the enemies, when they are about to get close enough to overrun you and shoot youre hull, run away to either a view range safe distance or a hulldown one and try to do this as much as possible, however, don't forget to deal the damage, if you don't deal the damage to them, they won't stop chasing you.

So, what would the optimal setup be for the Hellcat?

Equipment:

As you can't mount any Ventilation on the Hellcat, this gives you an easier time picking the equipment.

Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (gives you more effective peek 'a booing)

Gun Rammer (10% more dpm)

Coated Optics (With good 100% crew, bia, cola and max view range skills on the crew you get to see most targets at 445meters and you don't have to sit still to spot the enemy)

Consumables:

As you don't plan on taking any hits, you won't need the usual consumables for repairing modules and reviving crew, and you won't be put on fire a lot either.

High budget:

Large Repair Kit

105 Octane Fuel

Cola

Medium budget:

Small Repair Kit

Small First Aid Kit

Cola

Low Budget:

Small Repair Kit

Small First Aid Kit

Large Fire Extinguisher

Concerning Premium ammo,

In T6 games you rarely need any premium ammo and will end up having to shoot empty on the standard ammo before being forced to pump premium ammo into really weakly armored targets. In T8 games you might have to shoot way more premium ammo than you carry with you. Try to find a balance that suites your budget the best, the more the marrier obviously. If you'd known you'd only play t8 games I'd say 10 AP and 20 APCR. If you'd known you'd only play T6 games I'd say 25 AP and 5 APCR. However, you will never know what you will be getting into, so I'd say go for 20 AP and 10 APCR and load more than that if you feel like you have the budget for it.

Cheers,

EmbryonicJourney

The same way as a T49 except knowing you're harder to hide and can't sit there pumping out shots the same way with your reload. You have a more crippling alpha strike and can soft hull-down better, which is a term Okeano created for the ability to hull-down really well by virtue of gun depression and turret size instead of armor.

That's all you really need to do, it was one of the most natural transitions from the previous tank for me and is about tied with my T49 for WN7.

You are fighting in battles where you don't have such a viewrange advantage as in the T49 and you cannot brutally outdps everyone. The Hellcat is just worse than the T49. It's still an excellent tank and probably the best T6.

31 battles is just not enough to show true WR anyways. I just played some good Hellcat battles, I could upload those if you want to.

You are fighting in battles where you don't have such a viewrange advantage as in the T49 and you cannot brutally outdps everyone. The Hellcat is just worse than the T49. It's still an excellent tank and probably the best T6.

31 battles is just not enough to show true WR anyways. I just played some good Hellcat battles, I could upload those if you want to.

Please do!

Truthfully I don't know it's like instinctive it's one of those tanks that just performs epically , I'm sitting on 77% wins after over 110 battles and all i can say is shoot while not being seen and the only time to brawl is peeking over hills , every other situation needs you to be 250m+ away from the enemy 

Running rammer, net and binos too 

Painted tank

100% camo crew , still havent retrained the commander to 6th though

That being said , i hated the pew pew gun of the T49 and it did not suit me at all  :smiledown:

Please do!

I ventured into Purple Poaster Territory again and got my post approved. I don't know if it will be this time, since I am no unicum as you can see. :P

Still I have a nice platoon carry (with many killsteals :P)

fjords-usa-m18-hellcat-93190659874781794

And a good game on Tundra:

tundra-usa-m18-hellcat-22964985399758086

Honestly i hated the t49 

the hellcat is much more survivable no more one shot from kv-1s, it allows more mistakes.(even tou it is paper)

and the gun is much more UMPH, but i would say hulldown peekaboo and viewrange abuse, are the key to making the tank work dont get close range then the turret rotation will kill you.

im nearly at 440 meter view range on the tank (optics+bia+cola+situ+recon), so it does make my hellcat really diffrent to most others

Useful info:

• Crew is at 92% (I couldn't bear to lift the guys from my T49, although I guess I will do it once I've unlocked the T25/2)
  • Camo seems poor compared to the T49
  • Speed gets me killed because I end up over-extending...
  • Slow turret traverse is also a killer...

That's one of the main causes of your problem. To use the full potential of the tank your crew needs to be 100% with 100% sixth sense and the rest of them have 100% camo skill. Of course it will have worse camo than T49 if otherwise.

Your 3rd problem shouldn't be happening as you should  only use your speed to get to ambush/sniping positions quicker and with the 4th problem you can simply turn your hull.

I personally preferred Hellcat over T49 because it is a better sniper (better accuracy and pen) and it's good for snapshotting/peek-a-booming

It's worth noting the Hellcat has qualities which demand a superior crew when compared to, say, the afore mentioned Jackson. Mobility needs 100% crew to get going and camo needs camo skill up. Start them off side by side with 75% crews and the Jackson will be superior initially due to its armor advantage, but the hellcat will start to pull away as the crews get better.

If you're wanting replays I've had a great run in the tank recently, I'll post up some replays.

I was going to say, "Watch Embryonic_Journey."

But twitch has changed things again. Hopefully with this link you might be able to find some of his Hellcat footage:

http://www.twitch.tv/embryonicjourney/profile/pastBroadcasts

No you won't be that good, but it's the little things he does with the tank that make the difference.

Particularly how he abuses the shit out of the mantlet and gun depression early.

My opinion of his play:

Abuse depression and mantlet strength early. Put out ~1.5k damage to whatever is dumb enough to come over a hill, then roam around, mop up, kill everything, start new game.

I'm a rookie in kitty too, but this is how I plan to play it, at least once I have my crew past 200%. For now, it's like a fatter, slightly slower gun on a t49. Hide, kill, relocate.

Hope that helps a bit.

I actually like the hellcat much more than the T49. The gun on the T49 is very troll sometimes and does not shoot where you want to. And the ROF nature of the T49 makes you expose yourself more often to enemy fire inorder to get the damage in. The low HP pool of the T49 also allows you to be one shot by many things that it comes across at Tier 5 or below like derp guns from Kv-1, m4, pz4, hetzer, at-8 and the list goes on and on. So in CQC, when there T49 suffers greatly than the hellcat, which has a higher alpha gun, AMAZING aim time, and hellcats can usually live a shot from Kv-1s and only tank (that i can think of) that will one shot hellcats at tier 6 is the Kv-2 derp and arties. Unforunately, the map selections very much favors close quarters, and if you need to dominate a game and carry hard and get ALL ze killzz, CQC is unavoidable in most maps

That being said, at their respective tiers, the T-49 is more powerful than hellcat in a big vision control map like sand river because the zone inside the range at which you spot and outside the range at which you get spotted while you shoot is much larger than the zone of the hellcat. And I read somewhere (I can't find to attribute at the moment) that guns with the muzzle breakers results in future reduction of camo than the guns without when fired. 

Play style is much more variable on the hellcat. Because the reload is long enough for you to displace a little bit while still able to sustain your DPM, while with T-49 you pretty much have to stay in the same place to sustain it's DPM. 

TL:DR I love my Hellcat a lot more. But T49 is a sick nasty beast. 

Okey... hellcat is myfav tank so I should be able to give you some advice. Im just [email protected] things well, so lets see how it goes.

First, I never played the T49. So this is all learning to use the Hellcat.

Your speed is not there to be used as a fast med/light (as it could be more with the T49) it is there to get you into a great forward position so you can use your excellent camo to spot people, and get some early shots in.

Camo is a must. I learned that the hard way. Get everything you possibly can to increase camo rating. Net, paint skills, the works. I find its great to play in a sort of passive scout/tank destroyer combo. If you know what I mean. The best way I find to play it is to play passively early game, then get more agressive in mid-late game. I only get really agressive early if its a T6 game with only few tier 6s, or if I feel there is a position that I need to take early game and I feel I have a chance (E.G karalia donught)

Epuipment, you use what I use. No problems there.

Crew skills, originally when I was a scrub I tried to play it like a medium. So the first crew skills I chose were mobility, and gun accuracy increasing skills. E.G smooth ride/snap shot etc. Although this was obviously wrong and im only doing camo now as the third skill I wouldnt give those skills up for the world. Its snap shot ability is absolutly great. You can literally be going 60, stop, fire, and be moving again in 2 seconds.

I dont reccomrnd doing what I did at all though. Camo, Sixth Sense, BIA, repairs. Whatever. Just make sure you have camo first skill.

Assuming this gets approved, I hope it helps.

Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (gives you more effective peek 'a booing)

Gun Rammer (10% more dpm)

Coated Optics (With good 100% crew, bia, cola and max view range skills on the crew you get to see most targets at 445meters and you don't have to sit still to spot the enemy)

I agree with the GLD over Camo Net as many people choose, because the Hellcat view range and base+skill camo to not be seen first when it's behind a bush, and unlike the T49 you aren't going to sit there and fire a second time without moving due to the longer reload. Without sustained bush firing there isn't much use for a net.

High budget:

Large Repair Kit

105 Octane Fuel

Cola

Medium budget:

Small Repair Kit

Small First Aid Kit

Cola

Low Budget:

Small Repair Kit

Small First Aid Kit

Large Fire Extinguisher

At this point my medium budget is Small Repair Kit + 100 Octane + Cola. Only 5k more than your medium budget but 100 Octane helps quite a bit more than a Small First Aid Kit every battle. Getting shot in the Hellcat is doing it wrong, and it doesn't seem too bad about losing crew when I do get hit.

Perfect write-up of the Hellcat playstyle EJ!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0