Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Gruber

I haz a problem

Question

I haz a problem with keeping calm lately.

Since restart i get angry after few games every time. I just returned from 2 month pause so i dont need long break from game.

Before i would simply ignore things like: comments in chat that now piss me off, people doing stupidest things, ramming me when i aim, several defeats in a row, shit rng. But those days  are gone...

It has nothing to do with me hating game, i want to keep playing but anger and annoyance bring down my performance a lot  which ofc means i am even more mad and then i play even worse and make mistakes. Obviously, this results in chat arguments and me teamkilling people for slightest provocations. Before i would quit for a day when I wasnt mentally ready ( very rarely), but now it happens every session so whats the point.

I play solo a lot but i did that before  when i didnt have such problem with self control.

This thread is probably silly and i have no idea where to post it tbh. How do you control your rage and keep calm?  I need my zen back, i like internettanks.

17 answers to this question

Toxicity doesn't help you win games.

Just ignore people, who care.

What I did to help get rid of LoL rage (aka the most ragey game on earth) was to think of this

"will I remember this game a year from now?"

If I don't think I would, meh what ever, not worth starting a fight with a random pub, solves nothing.

Music. Something you love and can listen to all day, drown out the noise of tanks and just listen to the music.

While its from the official forums, its a good and serious thread, so I'll put the link up here.

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/17678-being-on-tilt-in-world-of-tanks/page__hl__tilt__fromsearch__1

While its from the official forums, its a good and serious thread, so I'll put the link up here.

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/17678-being-on-tilt-in-world-of-tanks/page__hl__tilt__fromsearch__1

Very interesting read. I would define my problem as self loathing - especially when team doesnt allow me to me establish map control or use good positions. Those things happen more often as the pubs get worse and feeling of being powerless to change anything (or even farm decent damage) in that unstoppable landslide defeat frustrates me.  Add 2 of those games in a row and some smartass in chat enhancing that frustration, i can see myself losing control and entering vicious circle explained in OP. Will try taking 5 min breaks after those horrible games to relax,hopefully it will work. When you know you can do a lot more and failing to accomplish your expectations can be hard to swallow.

Music. Something you love and can listen to all day, drown out the noise of tanks and just listen to the music.

I do that, certainly helps. But its not enough recently...

I just play the hellcat when i start raging and play a dozen battles solo in it , works wonders 

Just replace Hellcat with your easy mode pub stomp tank of choice 

When I know a game is lost, I will sometimes entertain myself with whatever tickles my fancy at the time. For instance, I remember an El Halluf loss a few days ago where we were losing 3 to 14, some tanks were climbing the hill to come get me, so I just circled around and launched myself off the cliffs in their direction for maximum lols. It relieved my anger for my team being retarded, and was pretty funny, even though I didn't manage to land on any of them.

Other examples include finding someone and sneaking up on them, then circling them for as long as possible without firing a shot just to irritate somebody. I should say both these games were in my PTA so I had some speed to work with.

I was a professional poker player for years, and the subject of "tilt" was at the forefront of my life.  One #YOLO decision and there go your profits for the day.  And I made between 1K-10K decisions per day.

There's a lot to like in the link above, especially the "proactive" methods.  Avoidance (stepping away from the game or being mildly distracted by something like music/TV) doesn't solve the problem: you'll hit your aggression trigger and everything starts up again then you have to step away again, etc.

In poker there's a saying: "you will run worse than you ever thought possible".  Roughly once every 1-2 months, like clockwork, I'd hit a stretch of 10's of thousands of hands where it was impossible to come out positive for the day.  Imagine winning 47% of your games for weeks on end in games filled with reds: that's what it was like.  But once I saw these stretches (which everyone goes through) as areas of opportunity, everything changed.  Many purples agree that you're actually not making a difference in your winrate when things are going well, but

I think all games are pretty much the same.  In poker, there are two ways of beating someone: playing better and playing well for longer.  A lot of people can play their "A" game for an hour, and then they start to slip.  In WoT, people's "A" game deteriorates even as the clock ticks down.  Something I'm working on right now is how and when to work the clock in a game, catching people who suddenly feel the need to go ham deep into the game.

My 7-day stats right now are horrible [for me]: 56% winrate, 1812 WN7.  But I'm actually very happy when playing at this time!  Because I know that these are the games that really count.  When other people in-game are giving up, I'm just digging in harder.  The terrible streak will end at some point, and my stats will go even higher with everything I've learned in this downswing.

Re-wiring your brain to see these as areas of opportunity helps with your happiness and your skill level.

If WoT is getting on your nerves, switch games to something that takes less thinking and/or produces short-time joy without much trouble, see: ramming people in WoWP.

Alternatively, work out. I started doing that not too long ago and the girlfriend approves. Tanks pissing you off? Curl them biceps.

When I lift weights I do 4 sets of whatever and then play 1 game of tanks. Interestingly, nerd rage doesn't occur when playing that way. I think the time between games allows a cool down period and the physical activity is a catharsis at the same time.

The game is a rest from physical exertion, the weights are a rest from stupidity exertion.

When I lift weights I do 4 sets of whatever and then play 1 game of tanks. Interestingly, nerd rage doesn't occur when playing that way. I think the time between games allows a cool down period and the physical activity is a catharsis at the same time.

The game is a rest from physical exertion, the weights are a rest from stupidity exertion.

I'd not go that far since that many sets of whatever (especially if working a single muscle group) can fuck you up rather than help, but I just do shit daily and feel much better afterwards. Pubbies can't fuck with my mind.

Kinda just have to stop playing when you get pissed and play a more relaxing game like minecraft

Heh, actually took a break from WoT to play said game a couple days ago.

A couple hours in, I died in an underground ravine while carrying full iron armour + assorted tools and a huge load of iron/coal/miscellaneous valuables. Went on a heroic quest to recover my stuff with what I had cobbled together from the things stored in my gheto safehouse, but my inventory despawned literally 2 secs before I could pick it back up. Rustled my jimmies so hard that I had to ragedelete the world and start again :P .

I just play the hellcat when i start raging and play a dozen battles solo in it , works wonders 

Just replace Hellcat with your easy mode pub stomp tank of choice 

I find this a good solution, bad days can only go so far when you're clubbing seals. Helps bring your spirits back up and lets you focus again.

I'd not go that far since that many sets of whatever (especially if working a single muscle group) can fuck you up rather than help, but I just do shit daily and feel much better afterwards. Pubbies can't fuck with my mind.

By 4 sets I mean 1 set of 4 different exercises. Like curls, bench, grip, etc. and then rest. I keep a list and rotate through the entire list 3-4 times while breaking for tanks. Personally I can really use pubtard breaks, especially since I mostly solo. My threshold for frustration does not meet WoT's demands.

Sorry for bad topic, but i guess i needed some quality whine,. Things are good again, even 5 defeats start in 50120 didnt make me rage. I stopped caring so much about winning which is bad, but i guess its better than losing nerves for internettanks. Thanks for useful advices and sorry again for bad thread. Locked