Barrowton

Journey to Unicum TD

Question

Hey guy's so i have wrote a blog on newcomers forum but got reccomended to come here seeking the right answers, lovely Nisa was kind enough to give me some advice through my journey mind you it's short 1600 battles and so now i thought i would post a blog on my journey to unicum, and hopefully meet and provide readers and new readers to come a blog providing how i achieved my goals and what struggles i came across to get there, i got reccomended to seek Servios's knowledge as a td player so here goes and i am sure there are others, A little about me,

I am 24 years old and very passionate about WOT and really adicted as soon as i got my BL10 i stayed up playing 1 day with no sleep upping my stats. I am really dedicated to improving and have changed my WN7 by about 200 points in 2 days, i am very gratefull for all information and i am a extremely quick learner as i am a knowledge junky, and applying junky,

So some things i have got on a handle at 1600 battles with the USSR line,

-i have skilled angling at close combat and distant ranges

-skilled the 15 metre rule for cammo,

-peek a boom

-good at fidgety manouvering like you heavy tanks do,

-i can play agressive when need to but prefer to not take hits and die

-know my weaknesses on the tanks i encounter

Improve ment and issues

- location for maps on highland, sigfried , ensk , westfield , ruinberg, i struggle on these maps by struggle i mean to get my 2k damage, without taking hits, i will touch on my standards following.

-playing too aggressive not waiting and being patient,

-when tired i often rush my shots which is a habbit i have gotten much better at compared to lower tiers,

-taking hits by trying to be a hero with tha big troll cannona at close combat

well BL10 what can i say yes i only play tds and had 500 battles in ISU and now moving on to the obj 704 second day, I got the BL10 a few days ago and i have started to really up the ante so to speak in my journey, But i am finding that i am now getting put in more experienced players games pretty much majority so less scrubs now, Which is ok its just not so trolltastic anymore. Still on the ISU bad days i managed a 2-1 ratio and good days about 3-1 but now been put in more competetive matches by MM so about 2-1 (average damage i would do is 2.2kish)

I feel i am a little hard on myself and do not really know what it takes to be at around 1500 ratings in a short time frame, i feel very confident in battle field and feel i know where to go and how to read progression, but its different when your a td and you want to really want to make a difference, but its hard fending off heavies with more then 1 on 1, and yes as you know wot you don't always have players that help you. my rule for the ISU 152 was to try aim for 1800 quite achievable / easy.

seeing as its health is 1k (war3 terms) so i should try do double damage, my questions are i am not sure what to aim for on the Obj double health is 3400 i feel 3.4k would be hard to achieve at my current journey and the thing is i would say i take damage more then i should(opinions please?) i feel that 2.2k damage is quite achievable and managable with my skill level, but what i wonder is whats a good target damage or DCR i think that 2.8 like servios would be achievable, but 4 kill ratio would be way out of my league at this stage, anyways guys here is my OBJECT 704 STATS @ 19 games.

25gtoax.jpg

Ofcourse 50% is shocking , my averages are around 60 on isu and now 70% on the object i had to fix that up in tier 6, i can aim very well :D

67 answers to this question

guys some troubles i am running into are, at t5 most of the team just wont help you even if you team chat, so do you push are just hold and wait, if your going a flank with just you and some little td, the thing that happens is at t5 the flanks are very un predictable if i go one flank sometimes no ones there and by the time i try get to other flank(kv1) its collapsed then half the team dies,

and then another thing is i loose a great portion of games i could of won if only i could get back and save our cap, do i only go half the map, do i win my flank and then go back to another if it looks flimsy, I know just how frustrating it is for heavies to have support, being a td driver now i know how much appreciated it is if you back them up and not base camp(i never base camped)

now i know my ratings are average but they are improving i pulled off a solid 1560 rating yesterday, and held 1600-1800 for a few games too,

then i get frustrated with team mates(reds) i mean hell i appreciate yellow teamates so much now, i can see just how horrible they are sometimes i TK because it pisses me off so much, for example your driving and a td is stuck on your front side ways, does he go forward or back no he just sits there letting you drag him forward,

then you have some ass where your dog fighting in ensk and he parks you in and your tier 5 in a tier 7 match. How to avoid and carry is what i am after? hell id be happy with 2 yellows one for each flank other then mine

yeah baby super unicum style lol a couple games, but i am starting to realize, this game is just about not making too many mistakes, and basically supporting a flank that mite collapse,

sw4tw5.jpg

In regards to knowing whether or not to push or hold a flank comes down to map awareness.

You need to constantly be looking at the map and taking notice of where they enemy are.

If you are on a flank by yourself and 14 of the enemy have been spotted on the other side of the map it's fairly likely that you only have a single tank on your side maybe even none.

This is where minimap mods that tell you last known positions are it helps you keep track of who has been spotted and where.

If you manage to win your flank you need to assess whether you need to go help the other as it's about to fall or whether you can push to cap, which can also help the other flank by drawing off tank there that head back to defend.

Always always be looking at the minimap to see where your tank is needed

Don't forget to play a medium tank.

Seeing the troubles you have with map reconnaissance, tank positions, getting out-capped AND maybe mainly AIMING, you'll have a much easier time improving in a T34 medium than in a KV1 or 2.

Take my advice, invest in a 100% crew + equipment and enjoy the benefits of flexibility.

Comes in the added advantage that the next tank T34-85 is also great, and gives you the chance to learn better shooting a derp gun, the 122mm, without having to take shots in return as in your heavies.

At 3.5 k games, it's high time to master a tier 5 medium.

Tito

yeah baby super unicum style lol a couple games, but i am starting to realize, this game is just about not making too many mistakes, and basically supporting a flank that mite collapse,

sw4tw5.jpg

Hi, what mod is this please?

Hi, what mod is this please?

There are a number of mods that do that, one of the most well-known ones is Locastan's. http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/177899-089-color-messages-and-session-stats/

A lot of XVM mods will give some variant of after battle session stats.

Hey guys, so i done about 17 games and seem to be getting good ratings, 1400 my goal is 1200's but i am happy with this, it seems i am actually ok with heavies, 15-20fps does not help though untill graphics upgrade, the game is much more fun when you make a difference,

here is the stats pic i took

otmg5j.jpg

Sorry to bump an older thread, but what does the last line mean here in this mod? Is 1424 his WN6 and 1223 his Eff? What are the smaller numbers in brackets beside them?

Sorry to bump an older thread, but what does the last line mean here in this mod? Is 1424 his WN6 and 1223 his Eff? What are the smaller numbers in brackets beside them?

His WN6 is 1424 and his Efficiency is 1223, yeah. The numbers in parentheses are the same number on the 1-100 scale that was created for simplicity. 1424=67.

Hey guy's so thought i would update as its been a while, well i have started to recently play really really well, as i just copy what super's do and run it by myself, i solo pub 97% of the time and now just starting to platoon, and finding a great clan so i can platoon alot. I am finding it is extremely hard to get my WR up, no matter how much damage i get in, But then i look at servios and wonder how the heck do you get that high, id be happy with 60%, i also have troubled getting frags so to speak.

i am currently grinding the wafflemaker pz, up to the WTE, and play the 268 aswell,

I feel like i just farm damage and it's not enough, i must say i am becoming better and better at keeping my gun firing at all times, that saying plays over the minute i become passive and i go on the hunt.

is it really platoons that make the difference, 5k - 6k dmg seems to not even make a difference to the team in winning,

is it really platoons that make the difference, 5k - 6k dmg seems to not even make a difference to the team in winning,

If you're doing that much damage on a consistent basis and still not winning then you're doing something wrong.  I'll caveat that with a question though, over how many games?  Platoons will help your winrate, but sample sizes do matter.  However, there are questions you need to ask yourself on big losing streaks despite high levels of damage.

1. Am I being too passive?
  2. Could I be doing my damage earlier?
  3. Am I doing my damage too late in the game when it's really already decided?
  4. Are there better places to deploy?

when i play a fewer games i manage to get a solid good start,  i guess it just goes down once i go over say 20 games on a few occations,

1. Am I being too passive, i seem to be doing all i can, i now am more experienced in close combat with tds and i do do the most i can,
  2. Could I be doing my damage earlier? i always look for early snipes, so i not sure, t
  3. Am I doing my damage too late in the game when it's really already decided? i use to but i always move to a flank that may need support (brawl)
  4. Are there better places to deploy? I pretty much go the places my pro buddies go but still doesnt matter,

not sure, i seem to struggle breaking the 1800 wn8 mark, i am around 70% top 2 90% top 3, that i am certain of, Its the games where the td just cant carry without support and everything crumbles its those team fail games that completely mess my accn, no matter how much maximum dmg i go for when we are failing,

i mean my average dmg for waffle pz, is 2.250 DPG, my 268 is 2500 so i do know i have improved somewhat, but it still is not enough i guess,

2200 is not even entry for blue it seems,