Rexxie

Rex & Ziddy's CoC - A Lewd New Years

4,216 posts in this topic

Why do I feel like I'm potatoing but I'm actually doing better stat-wise?

Both are true, anyone who is under ~2k WN7 is probably potatoing often enough to be really apparent. This is fine, that's how almost all players are. The fact you are starting to notice when you screw up is really important and the best indicator of your improvement. Keep it up.

can confirm that 2 of our 3 losses tonight were from these padders

Hi Rexxie. I legit didn't see your chat, I was in the middle of trying to play my 50 120 well, so that I got lots of XP, while at the same time, trying to forget about what I was doing because every time I wait for that 3.33s shell reload I die a little. 

I see you've listed the WZ-111 1-4 as a favorite. My T-54 is growing stale after 600 games, and the Obj 140 is so much better that I'd rather just play that for RU meds. The 1-4 has long been on my list of potential tier 9 keepers. d0vakhiin and ESA were fans of it, but both are missing/euro (two obstacles). Could you tell me a little about it?

It seems to have a niche following, LeaderH, cmcgillen and Strana also sing its praises. Have you experimented with crew skills/consumables/equipment? I've got a 3 skill crew from the LT line I am going to drop into the 110 to finish the 100k XP on that, and then plenty of free XP for the 130mm. 

Also have you tried out the 113? I've played the 121 a little on jacg's account, and I like it, but the -3 depression kinda makes it a chore, whereas other meds, bat/140 are a joy. Maybe the 113 is beefier like the E5?

I see you've listed the WZ-111 1-4 as a favorite.

Also have you tried out the 113?

I'm sure Rex will want to answer this, but seeing as I have the 111 as well I'll touch on it. It's a fantastic tank. It is fast, it has great armour, and the gun is a superior version of the S-70 at tier 9. You honestly cannot go wrong in it, and I love the vehicle.

On that note the 113 is abysmal do not get. Rex made me commit sudoku for urging him to get one and try it out ;__;

did u guise ever finish the tier 5 mission? I saw you guise on pearl river the 1st weekend doing ur church1's, but did u go through with all 3 weekends of torture?!?

I'm sure Rex will want to answer this, but seeing as I have the 111 as well I'll touch on it. It's a fantastic tank. It is fast, it has great armour, and the gun is a superior version of the S-70 at tier 9. You honestly cannot go wrong in it, and I love the vehicle.

On that note the 113 is abysmal do not get. Rex made me commit sudoku for urging him to get one and try it out ;__;

Indeed your opinion valued. I didn't know you played the HT line, but I was going to ask you questions about the 121 next. Namely...why don't more good players rave about the 121? -3 is hard to use, yes, but HT alpha with MT dpm, fire control and flexibility...

Great armor you say? How so, because on paper it seems rather similar to the IS-8's armor, and I seem to have no trouble with it with 220+ pen guns.

Great armor you say? How so, because on paper it seems rather similar to the IS-8's armor, and I seem to have no trouble with it with 220+ pen guns.

Angles yo. And 40 more mm on the turret. And a fake pike.

Rex made me commit sudoku for urging him to get one and try it out ;__;

such punishment

Angles yo. And 40 more mm on the turret. And a fake pike.

What is a fake pike?

as somebody who recently completed the 111 grind AND bought a 113, I can say I enjoy both.  both tanks have frontal armor similar to the rest of china's tanks.  strong UFPs, but weak LFPs.  they are good at sidescraping, but don't angle too much or you'll lose your ammorack to side pens.  the turrets are well armored and the 130mm can be a pain at times with RNG, is overall a great gun if you give it the time to aim down.  word of advice:  WAR is NECESSARY or you WILL get blown up.  even with the WAR and safe stowage, I find ammo rack damage more common than most other tanks.  also an auto fire extinguisher + preventative maintenance is a must, due to fuel tank fires.  CO2 fuel tanks likely would help, but do you want to sacrifice a rammer or vertstab for it?

I found both tanks work well in the "heavy medium" roll.  both can hit higher speeds than the VK4502A, and pack big boomsticks.

Hi Rexxie.

I see you've listed the WZ-111 1-4 as a favorite. Could you tell me a little about it?

Have you experimented with crew skills/consumables/equipment? I've got a 3 skill crew from the LT line I am going to drop into the 110 to finish the 100k XP on that, and then plenty of free XP for the 130mm.

Hello!

The WZ-111 1-4 is a very interesting tank. You've got the 490 alpha you'd expect from a gun-centric heavy, but on a fast chassis. This isn't really available at T9, seeing as wargaming was kind enough to keep this kind of firepower on slow vehicles. It's a very punishing weapon that has no problems punching through anything but german t10 superstructures (JPE, E-100 turret, Maus turret) with AP. HEAT makes short work of these, making penetration an afterthought. The DPM is decent (much better than other 490 cannons) and the effective DPM is great. The accuracy CAN frustrate at range, but the aimtime isn't too rough so close combat isn't a chore at all.

The hull is very interesting, too. It's not all that much different from the 113's hull in actuality; the upper glacis is near autobounce while the lower glacis is pathetic. It's not the kind of tank that can sit there with its armor and take fire, even from lower tiers. However, the speed, low profile, and "you aren't allowed to land a shot here" turret make it a bitch to get good shots on.

Given that you'll bounce practically anything given a good angle (albeit with the very light pike it isn't foolproof) or any elevation advantage, you'd be surprised at how well it holds up. This is especially useful against TDs, as you usually have an innate elevation advantage against them and the difference between someone shooting you with 100mm AP and 155mm AP is negligible when they are both shooting autobounce armor. The side armor is appropriately trolly with that spaced armor, but it's also useful outside of just trolling random shots; 30mm spaced + 20mm tracks + 80mm side armor makes for a surprisingly effective sidescraping heavy.

The turret is as expected. Pretty much you've just got your cupolas to worry about, albeit some of the more mammoth tanks can overmatch the rear half of your turret roof. Not really relevant though, I had it happen to me twice ever.

Mobility is great for a heavy. You're an IS-8, not much else of note. The accel isn't the greatest, but you've got good terrain resistance values and a very high top speed. Its ability to relocate is about on par with some of the slower mediums (E-50), although the lower HP:Ton does make in-combat maneuvers slightly more sluggish than I'd like.

The WZ-111 plays a lot like the KV-1S/IS and kin. Peek on people who can't react to conserve your HP early game, and use the fact you're a medium with heavy HP and alpha lategame to crush anything still standing. It's not that black and white of course, given that you can do practically anything with varying degrees of success, but I'm sure that'll come naturally to you.

Crew skills have been pretty vanilla, I haven't had time to experiment. You'll naturally want sixth and repairs to start out with, trading out your loader's repair for safe stowage. After that you'll want to spec into Situational Awareness and Camo, as both the T9 and T10 heavies have fairly decent view/camo values.

Also have you tried out the 113? I've played the 121 a little on jacg's account, and I like it, but the -3 depression kinda makes it a chore, whereas other meds, bat/140 are a joy. Maybe the 113 is beefier like the E5?

Yes, and I'm undecided. It plays like an under-gunned, slightly more agile 111 1-4. The weapon is more usable at range, but otherwise a letdown... you lose out in alpha and effective dpm, especially taking into account that you are now tier 10. You also lose out in side armor, which is a shame, and the turret is now a viable target for well-aimed shots. The upper glacis is larger, easier to angle, and will bounce more than your 111's did, so it definitely will last longer in frontal slugfests. However, it's quite a bit larger and comes with the complementary camo reduction, so... I really don't feel like you get all that much more survivability out of it outside of the HP increase.

So yeah, going up a tier all that really happens is that you gain some traverse and lose your firepower advantage. Its hard to recommend it, and makes me really confused as to why its weapon is so inferior to the 121's. Hopefully they change it some day.

such punishment

What is a fake pike?

He probably means the pike is veeeeeeery slight. It's pretty hard to abuse, for better or worse.

WAR is NECESSARY or you WILL get blown up.

You won't really blow up often, please don't use WAR. You absolutely need the vstab/gld/rammer combo on both tanks, I don't see how surviving a couple of ammoracks per hundred games is worth it.

I quadtruple checked the fact that the 113 has 440 alpha, the 121 has 440 and the 111 1-4 has 490. Why didn't they just give the 113 that 130mm gun with more dpm? Why does it have lower pen than the MT gun (both using AP) WTF WG. Ty for the infos though Rex, I am fired up to play this then. I LOVED the IS. I was my first real good performance in tanks. 

I quadtruple checked the fact that the 113 has 440 alpha, the 121 has 440 and the 111 1-4 has 490. Why didn't they just give the 113 that 130mm gun with more dpm? Why does it have lower pen than the MT gun (both using AP) WTF WG. Ty for the infos though Rex, I am fired up to play this then. I LOVED the IS. I was my first real good performance in tanks. 

Because the 113 gets the same gun as the IS-8, and the 111 1-4 gets the same gun as the IS-7.

LOGIC!

You won't really blow up often, please don't use WAR. You absolutely need the vstab/gld/rammer combo on both tanks, I don't see how surviving a couple of ammoracks per hundred games is worth it.

I will try this.  I seemed to get blown up alot in the 110 by low dmg guns, so I mounted and kept it.  I found I take lots of ammorack damage though, so I could just be [email protected]

Someone requested some 113 replays, here's a handful. The two with sela and ziddy in them you might have seen if you watched the stream, the other two are solopubs.

5266f353eaa0d42068010000.jpg

5266f3c4eaa0d41a55010000.jpg

5266f464eaa0d4218b010000.jpg

5266f4ceeaa0d42199010000.jpg

So yeah, going up a tier all that really happens is that you gain some traverse and lose your firepower advantage. Its hard to recommend it, and makes me really confused as to why its weapon is so inferior to the 121's. Hopefully they change it some day.

I find the 113 to be strangely unique in a good way. The UFP is a lot stronger than you'd think, and I only have good memories of bouncing 3 T110E4 shells in a row at <80m.

Given, the LFP is piss and the sides will only autobounce shells, it's average for such a rare tier 10. It's not rare for a good reason like the FV4202, Maus, or IS-4.

I won't say the 113 is a good tank, but it's certainly not as bad as it would imply because of how rare it is. What it really needs is a gun buff and a module health buff. Anything related to the LFP should get an extra 100 hp, and the gun shouldn't be worse than a medium tank gun.

Because the 113 gets the same gun as the IS-8, and the 111 1-4 gets the same gun as the IS-7.

LOGIC!

WZ111 1-4 has way better premium ammo, the IS-7 has shitty premium ammo better than its standard, sure, but bad compared to what other tanks get, IS-7 only gets 303 pen on its apcr, The IS-8 has a better gun than the IS-7.

IS-7 has shitty premium ammo better than its standard, sure, but bad compared to what other tanks get, IS-7 only gets 303 pen on its apcr

APCR > HEAT

HEAT:

+ Usually really high penetration, more than APCR

+ Doesn't lose penetration over long distances

- Worse normalization (0 degrees)

- Worse shell velocity (sometimes worse than standard AP!)

- Worse bounce angles (80 degrees compared to 90 (but will be 85 with the next patch))

- Spaced armor absolutely devours its pen and track shots easily makes the whole shot worthless

APCR:

+ Better normalization (2-3 degrees if I remember right)

+ Much better shell velocity, around 30-40% faster than AP

- Bleeds pen over distance

- HEAT is more common than APCR in high tier tanks (sad face)

You only lose around 30 pen compared to most tier 10 heavies in exchange for A LOT of advantages, mainly higher shell velocity and your shells not getting eaten by the tiniest bit of spaced armor.

Though, the IS-7's gun on its own is garbage. Shitty aim time and accuracy plus its rate of fire doesn't make up for the crap alpha.

Ugh that Steppes game. Was doing so well and I potato'd and let myself get hit twice by their TDs, going from full to nothing. At least I learned my lesson from that.

How was the Chinese heavy line as a whole to you Rexxie? I've been enjoying the American line quite a bit and was wondering how the transition would be when I started working on their line. Anything in particular I should watch out for more than anything else?

Ugh that Steppes game. Was doing so well and I potato'd and let myself get hit twice by their TDs, going from full to nothing. At least I learned my lesson from that.

How was the Chinese heavy line as a whole to you Rexxie? I've been enjoying the American line quite a bit and was wondering how the transition would be when I started working on their line. Anything in particular I should watch out for more than anything else?

Welcome!

Once I actually got to the heavies, it was very enjoyable. The Type T-34 and Type 58 were less so, but both are workable (and more importantly, short) grinds. Just make sure you bring a healthy amount of gold in those two and you'll be alright.

The transition might be a little tough; the American and Chinese heavies are about as far apart as you can get. Soft stats and elevation abuse vs hard stats and cover abuse... it's interesting. Luckily both lines are incredibly comfortable in general, so as long as you're flexible you'll get a lot out of them.

Another night of being with Ziddy on Sela's stream! Sela sexiest carry 2013.

I think one of the best recommendations I can give is to pick up a KV-5 next time it is on sale. You want to have fun? Bam, KV-5. You want an incredible crew trainer? Bam, KV-5. You want to rake in 70k credits for looking at someone funny? Bam, KV-5. Winrate pad? KV-5. WN8 pad? KV-5. etcetcetc. This thing is just too fun, hehe.

1888 Base XP:

52681fb1eaa0d47d47010000.jpg

Having reviewed 4 of Rex's replays last night I realized how terribly clunky my mechanical control and impatient my shot selection is in my high alpha tanks. 

Things Rex does superlatively:

Camera control to see precisely where his tank is relative to cover

Being very patient in exposure, showing only good armor

Making -4 depression work even on hill areas

Relocating when he can't make -4 work

Aiming only as long as needed

Hitting weak points even on the E series tanks, without resorting to prem ammo

Level some trees like a motherfucking manly sexy lumberjack

I suggest everyone watch those 4 113 replays, and see the skills on display. It was a good insight on me on how to play this type of HT, and how much more work I need to do on my own ability to control the camera and my armor exposure. 

Rex, do you have an T110E5 replays you might share? I'd be curious to see how your style changes with a highly different armor layout and turret weakspot.