Ruwed

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 - Chris Roberts' MMO Space Combat Simulator

795 posts in this topic

World of Tanks Refugees Thread on the Star Citizen Forums!

ARENA COMMANDER IS RELEASED!!!

XD

Edit: as of 7/12/2013 crowd funding is over $14 million.

Anyone else heard of this game?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

If you haven't heard of it and you like space sims / combat / mmo, take a look, the game will launch with both a branching single player storyline and a persistent universe MMO.  Website is still being developed and tbh I find it a bit of a pain in the ass to navigate.  But it's worth it!  Quite a few good video's on there, google will find some youtube videos and whatnot.

The guy who made Wing Commander / Privateer / Freelancer is making / directing this game also.  It is all being done through crowd funding / kick starter.  No major gaming franchise has their grubby mitts on it!

The funding has been completed (and well surpassed) and the initial alpha will be released in December (dog fighting only, to assist with balancing combat). 

There are a limited number of reserved slots left for Alpha / Beta access.  By pledging you get a ship (dependent on how much you pledge, from $25 and up, although I think alpha/beta access starts at $80....).  If you can't afford the $80 for the alpha / beta, an original backer can "gift" you a package starting around $30 that includes the access plus some other exclusive perks.

On the funding from the wiki:
On October 10, 2012, Cloud Imperium Games launched a crowdfunding campaign from the Roberts Space Industries website with the stated goal of raising two million dollars to produce a space sim game for the personal computer in the Freelancer and Wing Commander tradition. It was being built on the Cryengine 3 game engine, and a demo video of footage taken from the game at an early stage of design was publicly released. The game promised to integrate a traditional "branching storyline" game to be called Squadron 42 with a persistent online universe game to be called Star Citizen. Beyond the initial two million goal, stretch goals were set, promising various enhancements to both games.
The crowdfunding campaign attracted great initial interest, overwhelming the RSI crowdfunding website. On October 18, 2012, at the request of fans, a Kickstarter campaign was launched to run in conjunction with the remainder of the RSI crowdfunding campaign. By November 19, 2012 when the combined campaigns concluded, they had earned $6,238,563, approximately 4.1 million from the RSI campaign, and approximately 2.1 from the Kickstarter campaign. This surpassed all stretch goals set for the campaign, and broke video game industry crowdfunding records, both in funds received and in number of backers.%5B4%5D
As of April 16th 2013, they have raised $6,469,612 from RSI, and $2,134,374 from Kickstarter.%5B5%5D
As of June 11th 2013 RSI has raised: $7,886,829 & Kickstarter $2,134,374 all together Raised: $10,021,203%5B6%5D

All videos are rendered with in game assets (this is what the game will look like..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_QDv7DFfxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gtf16CEMDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuwMKX0h2ec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rb-8mYHE0

Edited by kittikat

Yeah, I got my money in back during the first rush for funding, have my Citizen's Card and all that.  That said, I haven't really been paying much attention since then. When it gets here, it gets here. Heh.

Same as Enaris.  So far I've bought a sign in on a pretty website. 

Alpha/beta access was a lot cheaper back then.

Never got my card, or maybe threw it out with the junk mail.  Meh.

If you have original backer status you can "gift" a package to people who are interested, your alpha/beta/lifetime insurance carries over to that person.  Granted, it would have to be a buddy... cause either they would have to pay you first, or you would have to pay, gift, then wait for them to pay you back... 

I have Alpha/Beta/LI :)
Went in for some admiral package deal. haven't paid much attention to it since the alpha hasn't started yet.

They should be releasing hangers soon, think around August if I remember right  =D

That is going to be pretty damn cool... one of the neatest concepts I've heard.  Making hangers for everyone who has purchased a ship, giving them access to log in and wander around their ships and see what they are actually going to look like.  Hope they keep up the level of dedication they are showing to their player base right now.  This game could be really great!

i bought something

i have no idea what it is/was or what it will do (it was a ship, im pretty sure).

i bought something

i have no idea what it is/was or what it will do (it was a ship, im pretty sure).

lol.

Ok, go here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

click on My RSI, it will pop open a sign in screen.  After you sign in it will take you to a page telling you they have raised 12 million.  Hover over My RSI and click on My Hanger.  Whatever you have purchased will be listed, on the right side of what you purchased there is an arrow (triangle).  Click on that and it will expand your purchase to show you what all it includes.

x919.jpg

They have been cranking out cool documentation and what not.  That is the package that I purchased, managed to find this brochure on the 300 series:  http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2821399/300series_brochure.pdf

Just thought it was cool to see how much thought and time they've put into designing this stuff so far.

Just found this also:

For people on the fence about jumping in and backing Star Citizen, this promotion and next week’s “grace” period (more below) will be your last chance to get Life Time Insurance (LTI) with your ship!

there will be a one-week grace period for all pledges. You will have until Saturday, July 6th to pick up packages with the old prices and features

Just found this also:

For people on the fence about jumping in and backing Star Citizen, this promotion and next week’s “grace” period (more below) will be your last chance to get Life Time Insurance (LTI) with your ship!

there will be a one-week grace period for all pledges. You will have until Saturday, July 6th to pick up packages with the old prices and features

TBH, I don't expect LTI to be worth that much.  From the Eidolonius FAQ:

If your ship gets blown up, insurance will help cover the cost of replacement. This works like vehicle insurance in the real world. If you total your 2001 Ford Mustang, you're not going to get a 2014 Mustang. You'll get the equivalent of a 2001 Mustang back. It will come with the base modules (weapons, AI, etc). You will be able to insure your modules and cargo for a separate cost. Insurance costs are paid with in-game credits and should not be too cost-prohibitive.

Importantly, ship replacement will not be immediate. Larger, rarer vessels like the Idris may take quite some time for replacement if lost -- days or weeks in calendar time. You may be able to speed this up a little by traveling to the home planet of the manufacturer, assuming you have the money for the "bus" fare.

From this, I judge that the best choice for an LTI ship is something common (quickly replaced), fast (for quick/risky missions), and reasonably versitile when stock.  And since the value of the ship itself is likely to depreciate over the life of the game, buying the latest and greatest is unlikely to give you a significantly better long-term-investment than the base model.

For reference, I have the 300i package.  I'll probably upgrade it to the 315p, because a tractor beam sounds handy for the kind of careless mission failuring I expect of myself.  Anything bigger than that will probably just leave me frustrated.

I had been looking at this before but then forgot about it.  Thinking of pledging now, could anyone who's spent more time researching it give some advice on choosing a ship package? (Don't plan to pledge higher than $80 or so max)

I don't think you can go wrong with this: RSI Digital Bounty Hunter

Include the whole game minus [single-player] expansions, alpha access, a map, a pile of game credits, and a tier 2 light tank spaceship.  ($65)

Edit: Clarifications

Edited by Getsome

The lifetime insurance is just a perk.  I'm sure that it will be a useful perk, but not by any means required, but if I can save credits by not paying for insurance for a ship that I would have bought regardless of what I started with... well sign me up!  I went the 325a, what can I say?  I'm a "get a bigger gun" kinda guy.

I had been looking at this before but then forgot about it.  Thinking of pledging now, could anyone who's spent more time researching it give some advice on choosing a ship package? (Don't plan to pledge higher than $80 or so max)

The bounter hunter package that Getsome listed is a good choice.  I went one over that to get the 325.  But it all depends on what you want to do in game!  

I think that the bounty hunter includes the alpha/beta access, so it's a good compromise.

And Getsome, from what I understand you won't pay for 'expansions'.  They will be a weekly / bi-weekly sort of thing.  Unless maybe there are expansions for the single player... might have to pay for those.

Unless maybe there are expansions for the single player... might have to pay for those.

This is what I was referring to.  Once again, my source is Eidolonius; search for Revenue Model.

I still dont know what to make of this game. It seems overly ambitious and id be afraid that the company creating it simply wouldnt deliver.

I still dont know what to make of this game. It seems overly ambitious and id be afraid that the company creating it simply wouldnt deliver.

I think that they will have to end up making some compromises, but all in all if they can deliver half of what they want so far.... This will be one of the best Space MMO games ever made.  Hell, it's worth pledging the $65 JUST for the single player.  

$65 gets you alpha and beta access.  A relatively nice ship (I think) with lifetime insurance.  A copy of the single player game, a copy of the MMO game and some other little tidbits.

After release

$65 gets you a copy of the single player and MMO game.  You get a basic starter ship with limited insurance that you will have to pay to keep........

I mean they have already raised $12 million dollars.... That's HUGE.  This is with only around 220,000 people or so.  Typically the early pledgers / pre order people are only around 5-10% of the market!  They are also including Developer Mod packs.  You can run your own server!  If the game flops later and you really liked it, start your own server.  Or find someone else who has one and join theirs.

Personally I think that if you have any interest in space sim / space combat / EVE you can't go wrong jumping on the Bounty Hunter pre-order.  Even if you hate the MMO side of it the single player game will be a full blown game with expansions and all.

If you are worried, wait a bit.  Announced goals say that the hangar module will be Alpha'd in August, social interactions in September, and spaceship pew-pew in November.  Expect to see some alpha-tester video samples on Youtube by the end of the year.

Edit: Just don't be that guy complaining that they can't buy a Mutant 6.

If you are worried, wait a bit.  Announced goals say that the hangar module will be Alpha'd in August, social interactions in September, and spaceship pew-pew in November.  Expect to see some alpha-tester video samples on Youtube by the end of the year.

Edit: Just don't be that guy complaining that they can't buy a Mutant 6.

I dunno, wonder how tight they will lock down on a NDA, or if they will even have one.....  

And that is sound advice, if you are worried you can always wait and get people's impressions after they release a bit of content for us to dabble with.  But if you wait you miss out on the opportunity to alpha or beta, you also miss out on a couple perks here and there.  But I don't know that any of the stuff your missing is worth putting RL money towards if you are not sure about the game.  I believe that they can deliver so I bought in :)  But that's a personal choice!

The guy who made Wing Commander / Privateer / Freelancer is making / directing this game also.  It is all being done through crowd funding / kick starter.  No major gaming franchise has their grubby mitts on it!

That's ALL I need to hear to be excited I loved all those games!

I can't help but think that by the time this actually sees the light of day, Star Conflict is going to be a pretty mature product with the action-shooty space pew pew market all in its pocket.

It's getting better, certainly.

I can't help but think that by the time this actually sees the light of day, Star Conflict is going to be a pretty mature product with the action-shooty space pew pew market all in its pocket.

It's getting better, certainly.

Think of it like this.

Star Conflict with a better engine, better graphics, real physics, not an arena, but a full blown universe, with economy, trading, selling, buying, fighting, protecting ect ect.

While I will probably go check Star Conflict out now that you have pointed it out.  It looks pretty much like WoT in space in essence.  Star Citizen is full blown immersive universe, with fighting being a key corner stone, but not nearly the entire pyramid.  It might not appeal to those who just want the bang bang shoot em up quick paced combat style, but overall it should attract a more dedicated fan base.  

While actual release is still quite a ways off, I think that this game has enough potential to be worth the wait.

I've been reading up a bit more over the last couple of days, they have some pretty neat concepts being put it.  Your character can die.  No infinite lives / cloning ect.  You have a finite amount of dmg that your body can take and be repaired before they show a cut scene of your funeral.  Granted they said that it won't be a get in a fight and you die every time deal, but there is the possibility.  They are bringing back suspense and apprehension to gaming... No more instant save right before a boss fight!

When you die all of your possessions are passed along to your designated heir (you give them another character name at creation).  They inherit all of your stuff and even your faction alliances, but at a reduced level.

I dunno, I should probably stop going on about it, it has quite awhile before it comes out!  Plenty of time for everyone to do their own homework!

I introduced you to this one, didn't I, Ruwe? Absolutely cannot wait for it! At least we get the combat alpha to check out in December.