Sign in to follow this  
Floris

Firefighting skill, what does it do exactly?

20 posts in this topic

Hello gents,

I want only pros to answer so I thought Id ask this question here and not at the official forums.....

What does firefighting skill do exactly?

Reason I ask this is that I got plenty of credits and started using food for extra tank performance lately. Usually you drop the fire extinguisher and put the food there. Im close to getting my 5th skill on my batchat and wonder if I could possibly take firefighting as skill and drop the extinguisher. Since the bat actually does burn now and then, I dont fancy the idea of running without both ext and firefighting skill.

But what does it do? How much HP do you lose to fire if you have 100% firefighting skills? And how much when you have 66%?

I know it lowers HP damage and you get less module damage but I wanna know if the trade-off is worth it. Hard numbers please :D

What does firefighting skill do exactly?

Increases the amount by which fire damage reduces with each tick (hence reducing the number of ticks of damage and the total damage over that number of ticks).

Don't know how much, because fire is proportional to your max health to start with as well (starts at about 4% mHP per tick I think, E-100s start by ticking for just over 100 a time).

Tests revealed many glorious finds, may Stalin be praised.

T110e5, glorious capitalist machine with 20%!!! fire chance refuses to burn despite rain of shells in engine ( engine was getting hit all the time, its not me :P ). When it did burn it lost 700-850 HP without skill and 350-450 with skill until fire was put out.

Then we have fascist box tank e100  with 15% fire chance that got set on fire every second shot lol. Srsly, e5 could survive sessions of 30 shells in engine with perma red engine and never burn (20% chance lol) while e100 burnt every second hit ( and often 3 times in same testing). Anyway, without skill 1100-1200 dmg, with skill 450-700 dmg. Also did test with half crew having firefighting, small sample though. Lost 800 HP.

And then we have IS7 with 15% fire chance that also needs 20 shells to even start fire. Without skill it lost 500-800 HP, with skill it was usually under 400.

Firefighting seems to scale linearly and seems to be worthless . Test sample isnt big, but decided to discontinue because wasting time on useless skill is well, useless .

Long live german 15% fire chance!!!

I have the same finds as you do but not necessarily the same conclusions :P

Took an T57 and tried with several FF skill crews:

0% FF  HP lost 800ish

15% FF HP lost 700ish

40% FF HP lost 600ish

63% FF HP lost 530ish

Might be that FF skills dont scale linearly where it comes to damage mitigation?

With higher FF skills the tank never really took module (= ammorack) damage.

With lower FF skills it mostly went yellow.

Damage taken from fire is not depended your current HP.

There is huge RNG in damage taken from fire, one time you burn for 950, one time for 580 with the same amount of FF skills.

So I guess indeed with 100% FF skills you would burn for around 400 average and lose no modules.

---------------------------------

I dont think its worthless? On tanks that dont burn that often you can take FF and preventive maintenaince and run with food? Esp if it doenst scale linearly you can train 2 or 3 ppl on FF and one on Prev Maint and you can run sort of safely with food.

The glorious T-34-85 with supreme APCR managed to destroy an E-100 with just 3 shots!

Not far behind the praised A-43-57 with AP managed to light up an E5 with its first shot and broke his engine numerous times!

I have the same finds as you do but not necessarily the same conclusions :P

Took an T57 and tried with several FF skill crews:

0% FF  HP lost 800ish

15% FF HP lost 700ish

40% FF HP lost 600ish

63% FF HP lost 530ish

Might be that FF skills dont scale linearly where it comes to damage mitigation?

With higher FF skills the tank never really took module (= ammorack) damage.

With lower FF skills it mostly went yellow.

Damage taken from fire is not depended your current HP.

There is huge RNG in damage taken from fire, one time you burn for 950, one time for 580 with the same amount of FF skills.

So I guess indeed with 100% FF skills you would burn for around 400 average and lose no modules.

---------------------------------

I dont think its worthless? On tanks that dont burn that often you can take FF and preventive maintenaince and run with food? Esp if it doenst scale linearly you can train 2 or 3 ppl on FF and one on Prev Maint and you can run sort of safely with food.

Its true about modules. With FF skill fire never had time to damage anything. If i let it burn it was ammo 100% and radio/fueltanks etc sometimes. It is useless, it makes you take half damage from fire than you would otherwise and requires every member to have it. Running half crew with FF seems to usually save ammo rack but how reliable is it? Maybe as 6th skill, but before lol no.

I have FF trained on my T29/IS-6 so I can pack food in them, praying to the RNG god everyday that FF is working as intended

T110e5, glorious capitalist machine with 20%!!! fire chance refuses to burn despite rain of shells in engine ( engine was getting hit all the time, its not me :P ). When it did burn it lost 700-850 HP without skill and 350-450 with skill until fire was put out.

Then we have fascist box tank e100  with 15% fire chance that got set on fire every second shot lol. Srsly, e5 could survive sessions of 30 shells in engine with perma red engine and never burn (20% chance lol) while e100 burnt every second hit ( and often 3 times in same testing). Anyway, without skill 1100-1200 dmg, with skill 450-700 dmg. Also did test with half crew having firefighting, small sample though. Lost 800 HP.

And then we have IS7 with 15% fire chance that also needs 20 shells to even start fire. Without skill it lost 500-800 HP, with skill it was usually under 400.

Firefighting seems to scale linearly and seems to be worthless . Test sample isnt big, but decided to discontinue because wasting time on useless skill is well, useless .

Did any of the crew have preventative maintenance?  Nice work on the testing for the rest of us lazy bastards though.

Isnt preventive maintenaince generally a bad perk? In my understanding its mostly the fuel tanks that burn and not the engines. And PM doesnt reduce fuel tank chances of burning.

Isnt preventive maintenaince generally a bad perk? In my understanding its mostly the fuel tanks that burn and not the engines. And PM doesnt reduce fuel tank chances of burning.

Its good for german heavies. It does nothing to prevent fueltank fires , true.

Being shot in the fuel tanks does not cause fires. Destroyed fuel tanks do.

Also, transmission is part of the engine.

Fuel tanks burn with 100% chance when they are destroyed, engine/transmission hits have a chance to cause fire every time they are hit, no matter whether the hit takes the module below its "damaged" threshold.  (Autocannons have a reduced chance to cause engine fires due to their high rate of fire).

Whether preventative maintenance is a good perk or not depends wholly on the module layout of your tank, if your fuel tank is most likely to be hit then it's not, if your transmission/engine is more likely to be hit then it's good.

Well the E100 engine has 360 hitpoints while the E5 engine has 260 health so technically the e100 engine should be harder to lit.

Did you shoot the e100 from the front into the transmission. Did you check that the direction you were shooting at the tanks there weren't other modules on the firing line? So that you could not hit both the engine and the fuel tank with one shot for example?

It should be obvious though that the pure fire chance stat is not the full story when it comes to tanks catching fire...

From wiki:

- If your fuel tank's hitpoints reach zero, your tank automatically catches fire.

- Each time your engine gets hit, there is a chance that your tank catches fire. This chance depends on the engine and is displayed on the engine module's properties in game or here on the wiki. Note that the transmission counts as part of the engine.

Does anyone know how the wot handles a situation when the same bullet goes though the fuel tank and then also the engine with one shot? Do you get double fire chance (one for each module) and double module damage (each module takes damage). Can a shot go through a gearbox and then the engine (despite them being counted as one module, the engine) effectively doing 2x damage to the engine/gearbox module with 2x the chance of fire?

Well the E100 engine has 360 hitpoints while the E5 engine has 260 health so technically the e100 engine should be harder to lit.

Did you shoot the e100 from the front into the transmission. Did you check that the direction you were shooting at the tanks there weren't other modules on the firing line? So that you could not hit both the engine and the fuel tank with one shot for example?

It should be obvious though that the pure fire chance stat is not the full story when it comes to tanks catching fire...

From wiki:

Does anyone know how the wot handles a situation when the same bullet goes though the fuel tank and then also the engine with one shot? Do you get double fire chance (one for each module) and double module damage (each module takes damage). Can a shot go through a gearbox and then the engine (despite them being counted as one module, the engine) effectively doing 2x damage to the engine/gearbox module with 2x the chance of fire?

Engine HP is irrelevant. Every time you hit engine regardless of gun caliber , server runs check for fire chance.Same shell can damage 2 modules afaik.

There is good probability that e100 fires are also caused by fueltanks because it got lit up way to easy. Cant remember anymore if fueltanks where at fault because i didnt pay attention to that when i tested. Engine was shot from behind at perfect angle and if ehundo has fueltanks behind engine or in that area its possible that was cause of fires. Basically, need a 3d module map of e100 to confirm.

Well according to this the whole rear of e100 is fuel tank:

http://wot-shot.com/e_100_penetration_zones/

You are absolutely correct that the engine hitpoints doesn't matter at all in this test. 

Sign in to follow this