Enaris

Caernarvon

332 posts in this topic

Ok, I've elited out my Black Prince, have the creds stashed away to buy this thing.

What do I need to know?

It appears to me that unless you Freeex the suspension, turret and first 20 pounder, the tank is entirely unplayable.  The 17 is just weak for a tank that will see 9 and 10 on a regular basis.

That said, what else does the voice of experience have to say about this tank? (Including "spend your credits and FreeEx elsewhere")

Another important question

How in the blue hell do you pronounce it?

Edit: Horrendously long Jingles video.

Hrms, thanks.  I think I'll take your advice and wait until 8.6 to push up the line any further (if at all).  I have lots of other options to play after all.

The tank is horrible.

The stock turret is better than the upgraded one, and it continues in the next tank too.

If you do not get the engines, it's extremely slow. The 20pdr Type A barrel will make you want to eat a shoe. Nominally the gun is very accurate, and has a decent aim time. In practice, the gun aims anywhere but the centre. Type B barrel changes that though.

However, the gun calibre also means it's very bad, as it cannot overmatch a lot of targets. Whereas an IS-3 can overmatch a T-50-2's 37mm hull armour, Caenarvon can bounce off.

Also, the hull is pathetic. If you get hit in the lower hull, you can get your ammo rack damaged. Upper hull armour is good, but nothing more. Weak, flat side hull means you cannot angle more than 10 degrees. Even then, HEAT rounds can still penetrate it.

Turret mantlet is okay, but that's really it. Everywhere else is easy pen for anything.

And if you do not have safe stowage on your loader, you will get ammo racked every single game.

TL;DR: A support tank that can't support nor do anything else.

Ke Nar ven <---Some brit told me.

I'm with Sadukar on this one. This tank feels very.....lacking. Stock grind is obviously horrible as you might've noticed. It's probably the worst tier 8 stock grind and one of the worst in the game. Even after fully upgraded it still feel quite mediocre, it does not have enough alpha or DPM to be imposing, and unlike the BP, it can not back up a lacklustre gun with some armor, It's hard stats just flat-out sucks so much that the decent soft stats of this tank can not possibly make up.

In summary, unless you are going for the Conquerer or the 215b (but both of them are pretty average tanks), stop the brit heavy line grind. It's not a tank worth keeping imo.

It's even more horribly lacking if you followed your love for Britannian tanks and gotten the Centurions first. The Caernarvon is...the first and only tank I bought and regretted buying to the point I sold it a week later. It's sluggish, no armor to speak off, no bouncy spots except the Centurion turret, and in terms of which I would choose in a brawl?

I'll actually take the Centurion I over this thing. I at least can do things with some 'speed' compared to this...abomination.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Kerfnuffle? I thought it was a capable all-rounder. Jack of all trades, master of none. Reasonably mobile, reasonably survivable, reasonably good gun, reasonable viewrange ... I'm actually surprised to see it so hated.

I really enjoyed it. I had quite a few good games in the short time that I had it - oddly enough my best games tended to be tier 9 and 10 ones. Bigger targets to shoot at meant I could get into position to utilize the RoF for support fire. It did a great job of keeping stuff permatracked in compromising positions to get taken out by the rest of the team.

My only real complaint was the same one I had for the conqueror and 215b - seemed to take a ton of damage from arty.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Kerfnuffle? I thought it was a capable all-rounder. Jack of all trades, master of none. Reasonably mobile, reasonably survivable, reasonably good gun, reasonable viewrange ... I'm actually surprised to see it so hated.

Being average at everything doesn't win you games.

No, you aren't. I like it. The only thing I don't like is how huge it is. Even for a heavy it feels like i'm driving around a fat kid with a sniper rifle. I should also mention I played the Centurions prior to this (and love them) so this feels like a slower, tougher Centurion. It's a special tank. I either do great in it or completely terrible. It seems like there is little middle ground for me.

Being average at everything doesn't win you games.

It does allow you to be flexible. Also, average at everything also means not terrible at anything.

How in the blue hell do you pronounce it?

If it helps Carnarvon is an old anglicised spelling (of Caernarfon) ... so either car-nar-von or cair-nar-von or something like that works.

I dunno, the Cents were my more favored tanks in the entire tree. I can't just get the Caernarvon to work for me.

It does allow you to be flexible. Also, average at everything also means not terrible at anything.

No it does not.

You can't push with horrible frontal armour.

You can't hull down with bad turret armour.

You can't hold a flank with nonexistent side armour.

You can't snipe with bad dispersion.

You can't scare pubbies with low alpha.

You can't trade shots because you rely on volume rather than alpha.

You can't abuse overmatch because your gun calibre is only 83mm.

When you fight other tanks, you are at a constant disadvantage.

Yeah, I'm also non too impressed by the Caernarvon.

Whereas the BP is a trolltastic tier 7, the Caernarvon is a terrible tier 8.

Without at least the 2nd engine this tank is horribly immobile and overall just a pain to play.

The 20-pdr guns also fail to impressive. Whereas the AT-15 can work with its 20-pdr Type B thanks to insane RoF and accuracy, the same gun on the Caernarvon is just pathetic.

Overall it's just not a good tier 8 heavy.

Even as a support tank it fails.

About the only thing it has going for it is the upgraded turret and its good depression values.

And even with the Centurion turret you can't really hull down like a Centurion. While the Centurion I uses the A-barrel as it's main gun, I dins it to better in the whole front al armor/bounciness aspect, as well as maneuverability and speed. For the Caernarvon, you get a bigger, wider tank (which means many hull down holes I use with the Cents are now too small for it) with really a frontal armor that isn't as...favorable in my eyes to hull down.

It's larger HP pool is the only thing going for it.

And also it's not as beautiful as my beloved Cents. >_>;;

I found the tank to be decent. Not good, but not really bad. It's a huge generalist with very mediocre DPM. The 20pdr B barrel was reliable, but lacking in alpha and DPM. The UFP can bounce a lot of shots pubbies take but its LFP is lol with an ammo rack behind it. The sides provide 0 arty protection. The turret is paper except for the gun mantlet. Its engine would stop working about 40% of the time after it gets hit. It's truly a disappointing tank, but it's not really a bad tank because everything is so damned average about it. If anything, it needs a big RoF buff.

Fuck this tank. I was hull down behind a Sherman on Abbey. Fucking KV-1S, KV-5, IS-6 obliterated this shit tank.

It isn't a hull down genius like it's Medium brethren. It's a special tank where you can only hope to use it's fully upgraded for to cower behind a facist box tank and it's armor/angles/bulk and hopefully make something useful of yourself.

The only map I successfully employed this was going peekaboo over the middle railroad thign in Widepark, and even then I didn't fire a shot and only spotted for things that can actually survive or is fast enough to climb up, shoot, and what have you.

the turret on Caern and Centurion look the same but for some reason, Centurion turret is much better at hull down.

the turret on Caern and Centurion look the same but for some reason, Centurion turret is much better at hull down.

Top down view on the turret and you know where George Lucas got the idea for the shape of the Millenium Falcon