Sign in to follow this  
SoliDeoGloria

OCD in autoloaders?

8 posts in this topic

Wondering how many people have the clip reload ocd. I often feel like I shouldn't reload my T54E1's drum, because I'm afraid that I won't be able to have a full drum at the end, and it bothers me that I am leaving a number of rounds left, that won't end in a full drum. Does this bother any of you, and if so, how do you control it?

So, I should reload if the conditions allow it

well... duh?

you don't want to be leaving damage on the table, if you can safely dump those two shots in the next ten seconds, then fire before you load; if you don't think you have the time to reload before getting jumped, keep your shots in clip; if you think you can bluff it or escape, or otherwise load safely, then by all means mash that c button.

It's a judgment call, honestly

Precam covered most of it, but also consider this: your T54E1 is probably never going to reach the end of its ammo capacity.  Only the AMX 12t, Bat, and to a lesser extent AMX 13 XX ever run into real ammo management problems.  Even they carry at least 5 full clips, and it's difficult to create/survive the exposure time necessary to dump that much fire downrange.  Most other autoloaders have even less chance of reaching the end of their ammo, as all others carry at least 8 clips.

So, bottom line, don't worry about this.  Your re-clip considerations are pretty much only:

1) Likelihood of firing the remainder within 10-15 seconds

2) Likelihood of close combat within clip reload time.

3) Impending need for gold ammo when you have silver loaded.

I have only played low tier auto-loaders, so grain of salt and all that. My technique is to pop out and take as many shots as is safe, and immediately start my reload when dropping back into cover. Same theory if I'm dodging from one house to another. No stopping to get off another round, get behind the house and immediately start the reload. If they're smart enough to count shots, they'll hesitate if they think you still have shells. If you get rushed, better to be halfway through a reload than have 1 or 2 shots then have to wait for a full reload.

I don't worry about having the "right" number of shells left over at all.

Most of my serious thought about autoloaders is in the AMX 13 90.  If I'm at half or less I worry about:

1.  How much damage do I have in the drum right now?

2.  What health pools are available to me?

"Available" in this context means something I can either safely shoot at or a tank which is isolated somehow and therefore represents an acceptable risk to attack (IE will probably only get one shot back at me before it's dead, things alone, under 650HP, and preferably looking the other way are the best).

If there's something isolated that I can reasonably expect to kill, I go for that first.  If not but I can safely shoot remaining shells for good effect I do, if I can't safely shoot and there's nothing isolated which has less HP than I'll do damage then I check whether I'm safe to reload, if so then I do, if not then I run away until I am safe then reload.  

Safe to reload basically means that nothing can force me to engage within the next 40 seconds.  If something can do that then keeping the dregs of the drum is a good idea because it means you can fight back to a limited degree, giving you time to get to somewhere safer.

I do understand his point...I have that OCD kind of mentality too. However, NOT being OCD has also gotten me killed before, reloading when I had 2 shots left in my BChat. (Granted it was my fault...) I reloaded when I had 2 left and loaded my 5 shots. I fired those 5 and didn't switch to my premium rounds so it loaded one clip of 2 rounds. I took off into an engagement, expecting to easily one clip an enemy with 1000ish health. I fired my two shots and had my "oh sh!t" moment. If I had used those last 2 (or paid better attention, whichever you want to attribute it to), it would have auto-loaded my premium rounds into the clip, not the last 2 normal rounds. Yes, I'm a dolt for doing it, but it gave me the attention to detail I have now.