Valachio

WZ-111 1-4

153 posts in this topic

Before I start, keep in mind that I like heavily-armored tanks more.  I like to play tanks that have good armor and tend to dislike less-armored tanks.

Even with my heavy armor tank bias, I do have to say this tank is decent and it's pretty much a better version of the IS-8.

jaaugMz.jpg

(note: I 3-man platted all my battles, that's why win rate is really high.  Played the first 15 battles with stock 100mm)  (I hate the 100mm, hated it on 110 and hate it more on this)

So if you enjoyed playing the IS-8 (not sure how you can enjoy the shitty-8 but yeah), you'll like this tank a lot more.  It has (imo) an improved version of IS-7's gun.  The upper plate is very capable of bouncing 250~ pen even when unangled but the lower hull is just not there.  I'm guessing 150~ pen can reliably go through the lower plate.  The mobility is great as well.  It speeds up to 30 km/h almost instantly and easily gets to 40-50 km/h and up to 65km/h when going down a slope.  It can also maintain 50km/h as long as you dont hit any bumps.

So yeah.  A gun with higher alpha than IS-8, much better upper hull armor, around the same mobility and traverse, and you get the 1-4.

Also, the upper plate has a pike nose but it's....  It's odd because the pike nose doesnt slope back that much and there is pretty much no pike nose.

Advantages:

• 490 alpha
  • Decent reload (4.29 RPM, 11.5-12 sec reload)
  • 2.9 aim time and 0.4 accuracy, very acceptable
  • mobility is comparable to E-50
  • frontal turret armor is really strong, but 2 huge cupolas
  • Turret cheeks are hard to hit
  • decent upper plate (slight pike nose)
  • Average depression (-5 degrees), put this as an advantage because all other high tier Chinese tanks have like 3-4 degrees
  • Middle part of side armor is spaced, absorbs lucky HEAT rounds

Disadvantages:

• Depression might be good for a high tier Chinese vehicle, but still shitty
  • 2 fat and easy-to-hit cupolas on top of turret
  • side turret is flat and very weak
  • Penetration is meh (244), even weaker than the E-75's 128 (246).  You will have trouble against E-75s that know how to angle properly.  You can even bounce on E-75's lower plate when it's unangled.
  • Very weak side armor (80mm), you can easily get tracked and be damaged
  • Very long hull, I think same length as 112/113

tl;dr - Gun and mobility are this tank's main strengths.  Frontal armor is good against enemy who autoaim but many weakspots means you will be reliably penned by enemies who do aim.  Lack of immunity to lower tier enemies even from the front due to the paper thin frontal weakspots.  Side armor is terrible.  

Update 2 - so i finally got around to playing this tank again cause of Winter break.  Generally my impressions stayed the same.  Decent tank - high alpha and pretty good DPM, trollish armor but many weakspots with very weak side armor, very good top speed and traverse.   Stats improved; sitting at 3.3k DPG now, probably this is as high DPG as I can get this tank to.  It's no 704 or WT auf IV.  Also you really do need to shoot some HEAT with this tank.  244 penetration is pretty bad compared to its peers.  You will bounce so many times off E-75s who angle properly.  HEAT spam will get you much better results (340 HEAT, almost an improvement of 100 penetration not counting the normalization AP gets)

N75ylAa.png

Update 3: Finished the grind.  3402 DPG, 86% win rate, 1365 average experience.  Pretty satisfied with the results, it was fun and good for stats.  Highly recommended for people who enjoy mediums with good armor like the T-54

5CrqV82.png

Interesting, do you find the tank to get a lot of module/crew damage, or is it rare?

>Ctrl+F "T29"

>0 result found

you not valachio! WHO ARE YOU!!

:P

Interesting, do you find the tank to get a lot of module/crew damage, or is it rare?

people say its ammo rak is very weak but i rarely actually get any ammo damage.  There are some modules dmgs here and there but that happens with every tank.  And its fuel tank isn't as shitty as 110's

^lol

Seriously though, what equipment setup do you run on the 1-4?

rammer, gld, vert stab

After terrible 110 i find this tank really good. It has better 130mm than is7, upper hull can bounce crazy pen gun sometimes, its really really fast for a heavy. I agree completely with opening post.

After terrible 110 i find this tank really good. It has better 130mm than is7, upper hull can bounce crazy pen gun sometimes, its really really fast for a heavy. I agree completely with opening post.

I'm glad someone has the same opinion as me about the 110, I think it's terrible as well

I'm glad someone has the same opinion as me about the 110, I think it's terrible as well

Interesting. I hated the IS-2, loved the 110.

This thread would have been better served with discussion of tactics and how to maximize the impact of the tank, or better still, some replays.

So yeah.  A gun with higher alpha than IS-8, much better upper hull armor, around the same mobility and traverse, and you get the 1-4.

If I may add one thing: The WZ is actually noticably faster than an IS-8. I platooned with one a few weeks back and was pretty surprised when I overtook my platoonmate fairly easily although I still used the stock engine.

Would like recommendation on upgrade path... seems like the second turret is only worth getting once I have the 130mm unlocked... right?

I don't have access to in game right now, but the stock turret is identical to the IS-3 turret, and inherits its roof weak spot. The upgraded turret is I think slightly more reliable.

I checked models when i was playing it and decided to use top turret even before 130mm gun. Gun mantlet is imune and so are front cheeks, no turret roof weakspot. Agreed, 2 hatches are problem, but overall i dont see why not use best turret.

Also, save engine upgrade last, its small boost and tank is fast enough without it.

I'm pretty sure you have to unlock the turret before the 130mm

And if you're asking which turret is better, the top one is better for sure because of the gun buff.  The aim time for the 100mm goes from 2.9 to 2.3, which is a HUGE difference maker, absolutely huge huge huge

I'm working to free XP the top gun on this tank before I start playing it. Would you guys recommend running food in lieu of a fire extinguisher or is this tank prone to catch fire?

I'm working to free XP the top gun on this tank before I start playing it. Would you guys recommend running food in lieu of a fire extinguisher or is this tank prone to catch fire?

The rear half of the tank is one gigantic fuel tank. If you can reliably avoid taking arty hits or shots that penetrate anywhere close to the rear you can give food a try.

I switched to food for 30 games or so and then went back to mounting an automatic fire extinguisher. The WZ-111 1-4 doesn't really have any particular strengths that benefit a lot from stacking food on top of its equipment and crew skills, at least in my opinion.

So, equipment? Was thinking VStab/Rammer/Vents to maximize soft stats and reload while running food, but now it looks more like VStab/Rammer/GLD.

I went with the latter setup. You want to minimize the amount of time you have to spend sitting still while aiming, and exposure in general.

The WZ-111 has surprisingly decent gunnery soft stats for a tank with 490 alpha at tier 9, so I'd suggest improving upon its strengths. Vents don't really do anything to make the weaknesses of the tank (hull length, unreliable hull armour, spotty accuracy at medium-long ranges, long aim time) less noticeable and don't improve on its strengths, alpha and speed as stated above, either.

Unlocked the WZ 111's top gun and I'm three games in.

My opinion?

48GR31g.gif

THIS TANK IS FUCKING AMAZEBALLS

giDtPkK.png

Despite a full-on potato game, the 111 managed to wreck face with ease. I'm sure I'll eventually be in a situation that's not ideal for the tank, but it seems versatile enough to do well on any map. Trollish armor, speed, a nasty alpha punch, and a pinch of close quarters manueverability makes this such a fantastic brawler. So glad I put my good 3-skill Chinamed crew in it! All that and a workable silver round that lets me consistently make credits in it? Yes pls. Centurion 7/1, move outta the way because the WZ-111 just took your throne as my favorite tier 9.