How to frontally penetrate British tank destroyers.

36 posts in this topic

Posted

After seeing this:

lolwati.jpg

I thought I'd make a post for the new/learning players how to deal with these buggers.

AT-2:

at2p.jpg

AT-8:

at8a.jpg

AT-7:

at7a.jpg

AT-15/AT-15A

at15p.jpg

Tortoise:

If you can't extrapolate where to shoot by now, then you don't deserve to know.

Posted

Yeah seriously, the Brit TDs have such humungo cupolas. I never seem to have a problem penning them, even with my KV-5.

Posted

Spoiler, y u no work? :(

Posted

Spoiler, y u no work? :(

It seems to eat the ending tag if you use caps.  Try making all the spoiler and /spoiler tags lowercase.

Posted

For the record, the cupola still has 102mm of armor. So really, the people that need this thread most don't even have the guns to pen it. Nothing worse than getting into a fight with an AT 2, and you can't even pen it's weak spots. Also, the machinegun is another good spot to aim for if you're stuck shooting at the front of an AT. The AT 2 is, by far, the best of the series. After that, the weak spots get bigger and more numerous. Such a pointless line when being a steel wall is all it has going for it, and half it's front is a weak spot.

Posted

LOL.

I was cornered in my AT2 by a Pz4, T28 and something else.  I figured I was dead.  Then the PZ4 bounced 2 shots off me (NO DERP GOLD!).  I got all 3 of them :)

Posted

AT-15 is even easier, just shot the gun.

175mm pen gets thru' the mantlet easy and there's a big unarmored hole behind it.

Posted

There are large weak points on the hulls though, the odd hatch on the at2 and gun on basically all of them.

Posted

I got it! Shoot front armor on Tortoise. :) Good guide!

Posted

British TD's made me feel better about my SP

Posted

The fake gun (and everything around it) on the AT-8 is also a very large weakspot.

However, don't try it on the AT-7.......

Posted

Bonus for killing a noob in his AT2: they scream at you for cheating/using gold.

Posted

Bonus for killing a noob in his AT2: they scream at you for cheating/using gold.

Tracking them usually causes them to repeatedly insist you are a coward.

Posted

Where am I 'sposed to shoot 'em, again? :doubleguns2:

Tracking them usually causes them to repeatedly insist you are a coward.

Oddly enough, I've encountered this ...

Posted

The fake gun (and everything around it) on the AT-8 is also a very large weakspot.

However, don't try it on the AT-7.......

I've always gone for the smaller gun, I'll adjust my aim for the AT8.

Posted

Navy, you have obviously not played Brit td's. at 2's mantlet is weak. At8’s secondary gun is 75mm and that side of the tank is 50mm. At7 is just the cupolas. At15/at15a gun mantlet. And tortoise has the cupola. On the at 8 and the at7, the top machine guns are loader hit boxes.

Tl;dr, cupolas aren't the only option.

Posted

Mantlets are also weak.

If you want to really hurt an AT, go around the back and hit the rear of the casemate. It's an Ammorack hitbox.

Posted

Navy, you have obviously not played Brit td's. at 2's mantlet is weak. At8’s secondary gun is 75mm and that side of the tank is 50mm. At7 is just the cupolas. At15/at15a gun mantlet. And tortoise has the cupola. On the at 8 and the at7, the top machine guns are loader hit boxes.

You shouldn't question Navy, he's a forum mod and therefore knows what he's talking about. They check content very carefully to ensure it's quality content before being posted.

Posted

While this is true, the fact remains that cupola's are generally the easiest place to hit.

Posted

You shouldn't question Navy, he's a forum mod and therefore knows what he's talking about. They check content very carefully to ensure it's quality content before being posted.

Are you for real? That's not how it works. Being a mod doesn't make you infallible.

Zdude is correct in pointing that there are other viable weakspots besides the cupolas.

Posted

For the record, the cupola still has 102mm of armor. So really, the people that need this thread most don't even have the guns to pen it. Nothing worse than getting into a fight with an AT 2, and you can't even pen it's weak spots. Also, the machinegun is another good spot to aim for if you're stuck shooting at the front of an AT. The AT 2 is, by far, the best of the series. After that, the weak spots get bigger and more numerous. Such a pointless line when being a steel wall is all it has going for it, and half it's front is a weak spot.

Bit off the topic, but I actually consider the line to be alot of fun, and very effective.

Yeah, good players know how to shoot them, but at least in pubs, there aren't all that many of them.  Especially on the AT-7 and AT-8, my "potential damage to damage recieved" ratio is likely 3/1.  When you get to the AT-15, I'm finding that either players are better, or the guns are just good enough at that tier that you can't just go for all day armor abuse.

Posted

Are you for real? That's not how it works. Being a mod doesn't make you infallible.

Zdude is correct in pointing that there are other viable weakspots besides the cupolas.

I think Navy's dry wit sailed right over your heads ...

He threw-down an all-encompassing general weakness of the series ...

Cupolas are safe shots, especially so when the ATs think they're being smart by sliding below the crest, or taking cover behind that rock that isn't quite tall enough. Anyone who's tangled with them enough knows that mantlet shots are also a decent bet with the right gun ...

Posted

LOL, excellent poast.

Posted

Tortoise = Bitchplease 230mm@unangled.

Posted

Protip: Brit TDs (as well as the Maus and T95) are weak to shots through the front and back of the tracks at an angle; the lower side hull is usually rather thin, with some of the armour "outsourced" to the sideskirts, which are bypassed by this method. Normally this area is the toughest part of the side though, as the spaced armour, tracks, and actual hull get sandwiched together, but external modules are unaffected by angle.

For instance, the AT-2 has only 25.4mm of armour on the lower side hull plus 20mm tracks. Even at just 25 degrees, shooting through the front wheel results in ~71mm of effective armour.