Cartoonman

PC Unicum Reference

45 posts in this topic

Don't forget if you are unable to download prime95 you can do a burn test in the comfort of your WOT garage, just log in and sit. Feel free to cook some bacon on you 9000°C gpu. 

EDIT: I'm blind, didn't see Ninite in the OP. Delete pls

When someone you know has a computer problem, I have found it is usually either a memory problem, or they need to replace the CMOS battery.  Hence my recommendation:

Memtest86+

If they know enough about computers to not fuck it up just by using it then maybe.

Otherwise it is them, always them.

For when you're done fixing someone's virus-riddled computer and you still get all those annoying popups on boot about "can't find virus.dll":  Autoruns will give you the ability to delete rogue startup entries without having to search through the registry, Task Scheduler, msconfig:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

It's a Microsoft tool, but I didn't know about it myself until a few weeks ago.

Some moar information.

The only reason you should ever use Internet Explorer is to download a new browser after a fresh install.

You should probably add 3D Mark, Unigine Heaven, Metro 2033 and SuperPi to the Benchmark list.

http://www.mattsilverman.com/2013/02/download-google-chrome-without-a-web-browser-using-windows-command-line.html

copy and paste into a text file. rename to chrome.vbs

' This is the URL of the chrome EXE.

strFileURL="https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D{8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96}%26iid%3D{A024641A-81C0-533A-53CB-AE9534821219}%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D4%26usagestats3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%20Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dfalse%26installdataindex%3Ddefaultbrowser/update2/installers/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe"

' This is where the file will download to.

strHDLocation = "c:\ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe"

' Fetch the file

Set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")

objXMLHTTP.open "GET", strFileURL, false

objXMLHTTP.send()

If objXMLHTTP.Status = 200 Then

Set objADOStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")

objADOStream.Open

objADOStream.Type = 1 'adTypeBinary

objADOStream.Write objXMLHTTP.ResponseBody

objADOStream.Position = 0 'Set the stream position to the start

Set objFSO = Createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If objFSO.Fileexists(strHDLocation) Then objFSO.DeleteFile

strHDLocation

Set objFSO = Nothing

objADOStream.SaveToFile strHDLocation

objADOStream.Close

Set objADOStream = Nothing

End if

Set objXMLHTTP = Nothing

Nvidia Inspector  can be quite useful. Basically GPUz combined with some overclocking options and a more extensive, unlocked Nvidia COntrol Panel. Lots of options to mess up if you don't know what you are doing.

I'd suggest taking Prime95 off the list. It will literally melt your CPU if you run it for any amount of period. AIDA64 is a better alternative IMO.

I'd suggest taking Prime95 off the list. It will literally melt your CPU if you run it for any amount of period. AIDA64 is a better alternative IMO.

The older versions still work fine AND if you do the tweaking/tuning right even the new versions of Prime95 wont cause a meltdown. Though the last part requires you to invest some time to gain the necessary knowledge.

The older versions still work fine AND if you do the tweaking/tuning right even the new versions of Prime95 wont cause a meltdown. Though the last part requires you to invest some time to gain the necessary knowledge.

Isn't the whole point of this forum is that people with little/no knowledge can come here for advice? 

Isn't the whole point of this forum is that people with little/no knowledge can come here for advice? 

true

but I m personally not a fan of the  "1-2-click-ready!" mentality when it comes to OC and stability (testing), because its not that easy despite what motherboard manufacturers want to make you believe. They are right in the sense that its easier nowdays  compared to 15 or 20 years ago.

But the whole point of DIY PC building including OC is to at least do a solid job and get better results for your money than of the shelf boxes. If you do it - do it the right way or leave it, sloppy jobs you can find in every electronic market.

@Folterknecht

I have a bit of money to spend on a new GPU, budget is not an issue. What is currently a gpu worth buying? With AMD's new gpu launching soon is it worth waiting or just get the 980?

^wait till AMD Fury cards are released, open a thread with your system information (incl. monitor native resolution and PSU model) and we ll see.

I'll probably get one of those fury cards if they turn out to be as good as advertised. I'll post my specs tomorrow.