Never

Show Off Your Rig

541 posts in this topic

So once again I went for a budget build and used the money generated from Thanksgiving rush / trading in my xbox 1 to fund the CPU/GPU/ and various other new components .

Previously I had always used AMD chips without much issue other than heat and lack of integrated graphics. 

This time though  I tried to go for the standard of our time

CPU: i5 6600k 

CPU Cooler: reused my 212 evo

Mobo: MSI B150 Mortar form: micro atx (i wanted a Z170 but i couldnt afford the 120 dollar price tag)

GPU: PNY 6GB 1060 (Used the trade in credits to get this for a whopping 24 dollars American XD) 

PSU: Corsair CSM 550watt Gold cert ( the semi modular one)

Mem: 2x8gb DDR4 crucial ballistix @ 2400 (unfortunately the mobo only goes to 2133 but the 2400 clock speed set was on sale for 10 bucks less/still clocks down luckily)

Storage: 2 WD Blue 1TB HDDs 1 250 Gb Samsung 750 

Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl (such a sleek sexy case/ with good dampers and wiring routes) 

Pics to come :D ( This black friday was a gold mine for me)

12 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

@Spartan96 what quality are you playing on? 1080p max settings i assume?

yeah 1440 stuff and 4k res kinda is beyond me in terms of want/actual ability to afford.

I tend to look to be competitive in a game without worrying to much about what it looks like, that being said I should be able to pull pretty good framerates in newer games at high settings.

Update: I almost never buy things from store, but I did buy my 1060 from Bestbuy (was PNY 1060 6gb) or was marked as such, unfortunately they had reboxed a 3gb on accident as a 6gb. Not only was that incredibly shady it caused a lot of heartbreak because I really wanted to go with Nvidia this time.

Anyways I returned the PNY junk and got full refund , a bit of luck also happened my way when I saw their XFX Rx480 Oc was on sale for a similar amount (this card i had read well on, was second best reviewed 480 on amazon atm after the Rog Strixx variant) And after some flirty conversing with the geek squad grille that was helping me she managed to swing the deal.

So essentially a person feels bad for almost screwing me on a bad 1060 but get a much better Rx480 in return. 

4 minutes ago, Spartan96 said:

Anyways I returned the PNY junk and got full refund , a bit of luck also happened my way when I saw their XFX Rx480 Oc was on sale for a similar amount (this card i had read well on, was second best reviewed 480 on amazon atm after the Rog Strixx variant) And after some flirty conversing with the geek squad grille that was helping me she managed to swing the deal.

:trump: You sly dog you.

48 minutes ago, Vindi said:

:trollface:

16196656_10202573697178948_1395529931_o.jpg

y u no go kaby lake

So after 6 years, less an upgrade or two along the way, I decided to retire my i5 760 rig. 6years stable and strong with a 27% OC(before they made unlocked chips), I got my moneys worth. I was on a tighter budget back then and had to compromise on some things. This time, I decided to go big. Not Titan X or $1600 i7 big, but a huge upgrade for me.

Case- Corsair Carbide series Air 540(This thing is huge but psu being in a separate compartment keeps it's heat out of the case and makes hiding wires effortless)

Mobo- Asus Maximus IX Hero (Z270 chipset and daul M2 sockets)

CPU- i7 7700k OC'[email protected] ghz

RAM- 32gb Gskill Aegis DDR4-3000 @ 2933 mhz

GPU- Asus GTX 1080 Strix A8G   OC'[email protected] mhz, memory OC'd to 11125 mhz

Cooling- Coolermaster Hyper 212, 2x140 mm front case fans, and 1x140mm rear fan (a simple water cooling setup in the future can make the chip run stable at 5.2-5.4 ghz)

PSU- EVGA 750 GQ(just in case I need a 2nd 1080 one day :) )

Storage- Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500 gb, 2x WD Black 2 TB HDDs

So finally decided to upgrade my pc bought around spring 2014 into the new generation. Following recommendations from another forum i went with GPU and SSD upgrades:

CPU: i7-4770K WITH MS-7826 Kaili motherboard

RAM: 4+8GB DDR3 Samsung

GPU: GTX760-->MSI GTX1070 ARMOR 8GB (no OC)

Storage: 1TB and new purchase 250GB Samsung SSD.

This should allow me to play for few years without further upgrades. What will the next bottleneck be?

1 hour ago, SaintLaurentius said:

This should allow me to play for few years without further upgrades. What will the next bottleneck be?

Card probably, CPUs usually last few generations but cards pretty much age fast. Details are increasing fast, and thats most demanding for GPU.

@SaintLaurentius what kinda monitors do you have as well? W/ that build and 1080p, you're set for a LONG while beyond even GPU updates. 

11 minutes ago, SaintLaurentius said:

Yeah unless something malfunctions that build on 1080p will last quite a while. 

Speaking of monitors, has anyone tried downsampling here? It's setting your GPU to render a higher res than your monitor can display, and then rescale the images for a quality improvement. (Basically Anti-Aliasing afaik)

Newer NVIDIA cards offer it by a setting called DSR and AMD by VSR. Games get more GPU intensive AFAIK but at least for WoT it looks really stable and hasn't given me any real problems except for HUD scaling on some older titles

I'd also like to know if any people here have any clue when to buy new RAM. I did a memtest and one of mine's going bad (I have a replacement so it's fine for now) so I'm set for now, but they're probably due an upgrade soon anyway and was just wondering if anyone here knew if anything's getting released soon that will drop prices of others or simply a new version of RAM going live etc etc

2 hours ago, Kolni said:

Newer NVIDIA cards offer it by a setting called DSR and AMD by VSR. Games get more GPU intensive AFAIK but at least for WoT it looks really stable and hasn't given me any real problems except for HUD scaling on some older titles

Afaik DSR only works with specific titles... 

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

Afaik DSR only works with specific titles... 

You can literally put DSR onto your entire desktop and it'll unlock native resolutions in game that you allow from the NVIDIA control panel

4K res on a 1080p monitor looks pretty damn strange :serb: 

2550x1440 really made a difference though, i run my desktop now at that and the game as well when I'm not streaming, only real problem is that OBS doesn't accept a downsampled resolution as your actual resolution meaning I stream only a part of my screen :doge: 

1 hour ago, Kolni said:

You can literally put DSR onto your entire desktop and it'll unlock native resolutions in game that you allow from the NVIDIA control panel

4K res on a 1080p monitor looks pretty damn strange :serb: 

2550x1440 really made a difference though, i run my desktop now at that and the game as well when I'm not streaming, only real problem is that OBS doesn't accept a downsampled resolution as your actual resolution meaning I stream only a part of my screen :doge: 

Top kek, I'll try with older games, that could really boost quality. 

I'm not fan of HiDPI on Windows tho. 

10 hours ago, Kolni said:

I'd also like to know if any people here have any clue when to buy new RAM. I did a memtest and one of mine's going bad (I have a replacement so it's fine for now) so I'm set for now, but they're probably due an upgrade soon anyway and was just wondering if anyone here knew if anything's getting released soon that will drop prices of others or simply a new version of RAM going live etc etc

RAM is the one thing that doesn't seem to get cheaper when new stuff comes out. The older stuff gets more expensive, i'm guessing due to supplies dwindling. DDR4 is becoming cheaper than DDR3 now. I've never had RAM go bad, at least that I know of, but if you do have one going bad, I recommend getting a new matched set as opposed to mixing and matching.

Just now, Driftin said:

RAM is the one thing that doesn't seem to get cheaper when new stuff comes out. The older stuff gets more expensive, i'm guessing due to supplies dwindling. DDR4 is becoming cheaper than DDR3 now. I've never had RAM go bad, at least that I know of, but if you do have one going bad, I recommend getting a new matched set as opposed to mixing and matching.

Yeah, I have 3 of the same ones bought for the exact thing, but thanks for the info :) 

2x Titan X Pascal and 6700k OC'd to 4.7GHz

ygE7Ecg.jpg

Ok so I updated my rig last year, then upgraded it again this year. Ive done it all myself and super happy with it

Specs:

I5 6600K OC to 4.5Ghz

16gb of Kingston Hyper X fury DDR4 RAM

ASUS Z170-P mobo

Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming

Corsair RM750x PSU

NZXT Kraken X62 AIO liquid cooler

WB 2TB HDD

Samsung EVO 120gb SSD

NZXT Hue+ LED strips

NZXT AER RGB fans x 6

All together in the EPIC Phanteks Enthoo evolv ATX tempered glass version