Never

Show Off Your Rig

555 posts in this topic

At long last...

KCtjLlC.jpg

Compare it to when I first created the thread:

gYLBFGd.jpg

Still pending:

- Lighting inside case (I'm thinking of alternating between green and white LEDs to give it a smoother look.

- Asus Xonar DSX audio card should be arriving soon (Onboard audio sucks)

- Cut a bigger window on the side panel.

At long last...

KCtjLlC.jpg

Compare it to when I first created the thread:

gYLBFGd.jpg

Still pending:

- Lighting inside case (I'm thinking of alternating between green and white LEDs to give it a smoother look.

- Asus Xonar DSX audio card should be arriving soon (Onboard audio sucks)

- Cut a bigger window on the side panel.

look like you also got a better camera >.>

Something just arrived in the mail...

kG4Xa45.jpg

Yay! It's the custom sleeving I ordered all the way from the Netherlands :P

FfP8rvS.jpg

Wait, what's that on the pin remover...

AATcpBf.jpg

Lol, Nils is awesome :P

y3c5xbJ.jpg

Time to get sleeving. This is gonna take a looong time, but it's hopefully gonna look amazing in the end!

JhWdoin.jpg

For all your custom sleeving and cable management needs, Nils is your guy: http://www.mdpc-x.com/

Well, I graduated from school, and been working for a few months. I guess I'm in the market for a new desktop, since I don't need to carry my laptop to and from class every day anymore.

This is what I'm thinking of - any suggestions?

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Gl4

Well, I graduated from school, and been working for a few months. I guess I'm in the market for a new desktop, since I don't need to carry my laptop to and from class every day anymore.

This is what I'm thinking of - any suggestions?

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Gl4

Looks awesome, that case is really beautiful.

I'd definitely get an HDD though, 1TB minimum. That SSD is gonna fill up extremely fast if you're not careful. Throw in the SSD just the things that can benefit from it (Windows, video editing stuff, etc...) and use the HDD for all your media storage / games.

Looks awesome, that case is really beautiful.

I'd definitely get an HDD though, 1TB minimum. That SSD is gonna fill up extremely fast if you're not careful. Throw in the SSD just the things that can benefit from it (Windows, video editing stuff, etc...) and use the HDD for all your media storage / games.

Oh yeah that'd make sense. I'm having that issue with my laptop atm actually >.<. I took out the HDD it came with, and put in 120GB SSD. I literally have to uninstall games all the time just to keep the space down. Operating system, 3-4 games, is like literally all that will fit atm...

Btw, what would you say about waiting for the new AMD cards that were announced? Or perhaps there could be a price drop on 7970s soon when those new cards hit the market? I'm usually a huge Nvidia fanboi, but if the price on a 7970 drops a lot soon, that'd totally be something I'd do!

Oh yeah that'd make sense. I'm having that issue with my laptop atm actually >.<. I took out the HDD it came with, and put in 120GB SSD. I literally have to uninstall games all the time just to keep the space down. Operating system, 3-4 games, is like literally all that will fit atm...

Btw, what would you say about waiting for the new AMD cards that were announced? Or perhaps there could be a price drop on 7970s soon when those new cards hit the market? I'm usually a huge Nvidia fanboi, but if the price on a 7970 drops a lot soon, that'd totally be something I'd do!

The 780 is still going to beat a 7970 any day in pretty much every benchmark. unless you're trying to save money to put it elsewhere in there (bigger SSD or something) or go for two 7970s I'd keep the 780.

I'm also an nvidia fanboy though.

On the SSD, what I do with mine is I have windows and the main games I play (so WoT and whatever steam game I'm actively playing) and all other games/media go on the 2TB drive. I need to invest in an external for backups though. I was going to get a NAS box but my contract ended so I need to find another job first.

edit: cases are a super personal thing IMO so I'm not trying to be pushy or trying to talk you out of the one you chose, but as another option to look at I'd reccomd what my mid-tower LAN PC uses the Corsair Vengeance. My girlfriend also built her first computer using the same case, and it's an amazing mid-tower. I got her 7 LED fans for her birthday (it has room for 8 total fans) and it lights up nicely.

Pictures of her case, and then the inside of mine. (My cable management in this one is weak shit because it's not 100% done yet, need another HDD and a better CPU cooler, but it's low priority as it gets stuff done like i need it too atm.)

zMbYHHK.jpg

ULsAD5v.jpg

For what 780's are currently going for, IMHO, the extra performance isn't worth about $300 in price. If you're not ordering immediately, wait a couple weeks and see if the release of the new AMD cards brings down prices any.

...and just purchased it yesterday. The parts will come soon!

This is what I ended up goin with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.79 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.75 @ Vuugo)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.51 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.95 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.87 @ DirectCanada)

Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ NCIX)

Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $1452.80 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-09 15:33 EDT-0400)

I'm assuming future upgrades will be much cheaper, as I won't need to re-buy a keyboard, monitor, optical drive, power supply, HDD, memory, and case. That's a fair chunk of money by itself.

oTxM2AM.jpg

A small change, where I changed the case of my 2nd PC to make it more "portable" and converted into the house's back up PC should any of the other computers in my house were to go faulty. Also, removed the GTX550Ti as for now, the back up PC is being used more as a media/facebook station, and for quick referencing should I suddenly have the urge to check while waiting for the battle to load in WoT.

There will be further changes to the build, like the choices of mice, and keyboards. But first, that table has to go, for a much bigger option.

zmrj9VZ.jpg

...and just purchased it yesterday. The parts will come soon!

This is what I ended up goin with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.79 @ DirectCanada)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.75 @ Vuugo)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.51 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.95 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.87 @ DirectCanada)

Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ NCIX)

Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $1452.80 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-09 15:33 EDT-0400)

I'm assuming future upgrades will be much cheaper, as I won't need to re-buy a keyboard, monitor, optical drive, power supply, HDD, memory, and case. That's a fair chunk of money by itself.

where there no r9 280x's? as they are 7970's that are a bit cheaper. >.>

suspect they did but you had figured out the build before they had >.>

Just upgraded my 7870 GHz Edition Pitcairn chip video to a Tahiti LE based 7870 Myst Edition. 33% more memory bandwidth, 25% more shader cores, higher clockspeed after overclocking. All for $140 off of Amazon.

Had a change of keyboard.

U6VtyF1.jpg

My God. The Corsair Vengeance K70 sure looks good.

As for my case, well... I've since been combating dust that has been building up in my case, and even though having the front filters that came standard in the Antec Eleven Hundred, I felt it wasn't doing its job. So... what did I do?

1H6B85S.jpg

YO DAWG, I put a filter beneath the filter. And yes, I removed the Antec case fans that were initially on the front with Aerocool Shark 120mm, just for higher cfm,considering going through 2 filters. (Reverse osmosis?)

IWk2yRM.jpg

As for the Antec case fans?

3uksmUY.jpg

They're inside now to blow in the air pulled in from the front. Time to source some LED strips, or breathing LED modules. Anyone knows of a good website that sells such items? Been sourcing through my local IT mall and I can't seem to find one.

oho a Touhou fan! wooooo

pretty sick red theme goin lol

@methebest - yeah I got it b4 the 280s were released. They are similar to the 7970 indeed. I got my card at $270 CAD though, which is a steal imo. I mostly see over $300 for the 280 atm...

@methebest - yeah I got it b4 the 280s were released. They are similar to the 7970 indeed. I got my card at $270 CAD though, which is a steal imo. I mostly see over $300 for the 280 atm...

darn AMD, now there's more 280's.  to me though, a 280 will always be these:

dscf5185s.jpg

RIP BFG

oho a Touhou fan! wooooo

Similar? A 280 IS a 7970, just with slightly different clock settings. Can even crossfire with any of the 7xxx series Tahiti chips.

oho a Touhou fan! wooooo

Thanks. Not only that, I'm slowly changing the rig's surroundings as well. It's coming up bit by bit. But for now, this is how it stands.

yNyCjTV.jpg

The table will have to go; it's a little cramped. Time to source for a bigger one, as well as the LED strips I mentioned earlier.