71 posts in this topic

This isn't elitism (well it is, sort of), this isn't people ignoring you (well it is, sort of), it's the way it is, so read it through and be enlightened. /END DISCLAIMER

Okay, so if you're someone who would be considered a baddie (see: less than 50% w/r or does less than your own HP at tier 10), chances are you've had trouble finding platoons in the wotlabs channel. This isn't because they don't want to help you, it's because some of the people looking for platoons aren't asking everybody, they're really asking a specific group of people in the channel that they know can carry hard. Unless they say something about mentoring or accepting anyone, they probably don't mean you (sorry to break it to you, I really am :( )

This isn't the end though. There are several ways you can find someone to platoon with. When someone says they're looking for a plat, look at their stats. (Don't feel dirty, we all do it, and if you're some random asking to get into a purple plat you can bet your stats are glanced over before you get the invite.) If they are within your skill range, go ahead and ask. (In general, people will platoon +/- one color level.) If they're a little out there, PM them and ask. Purples don't bite. If they're looking for a carry platoon they'll probably tell you so nicely. Ask if they might be able to plat with you sometime later. They'll either give you a rain check or point you to someone who's more able and willing to show you the ropes (not everyone is a teacher.)

If you ask for a platoon, preface it with the fact that you're not the best. Trust me, the moment you ask, your stats window is opened by the great majority of people looking to platoon. Once they see that you're not their idea of a perfect plat mate, they just won't say anything and you'll end up being effectively ignored. If you just say it up front, you can avoid the cold shoulder and attract the attention of people on your skill level or people who are willing to give you advice. If you're specifically looking for a purple to help you, ask for someone to mentor you. There's usually someone willing.

Consider looking at the Community Mentor Program channel (spelled: Comunity Mentor Program -- someone mispelled it once and it's remained this way since.) If the channel's up, there are usually a few purples in there who are willing to platoon with just about anyone (though you'll probably need a mic - that's a requirement for many.) You can also post a thread in the Looking for Platoonie section of this forum and state your intentions.

Again, I know that not everyone does this, but I've seen more than a few sub-49%ers wandering around in the wotlabs channel asking for platoons and getting no answers. Lost pubbies give me many sads and I think that while most of us who have been here awhile understand this, some of the newcomers who haven't been around and are really trying to learn are being accidentally shut out.

I personally do look at players stats when going to invite platoons. usually If I see anything at 50%+ im absolutly fine with playing with them. although I don't like being rude so a lot of players below that I will also platoon with. and some of them are actually bloody good. (see Cool_man) if there are people in the lower skill gap that want to play some games with better players and want to learn are always welcome to ask me for some basic help. I've been through that process so I know how it feels, and can help you get started. if im playing with Pityfool at that particular time (which I do alot actually, lol) then you get the bonus of a purple helping you out as well.

Yes Jake!!! I see this so often... It makes me sad.. so sad to the point that occasionally I have taken a break from soloing and sent out and invite to some of these poor souls. Makes me feel better =D

Yes Jake!!! I see this so often... It makes me sad.. so sad to the point that occasionally I have taken a break from soloing and sent out and invite to some of these poor souls. Makes me feel better =D

like me :D

you carry me hard :3

like me :D

you carry me hard :3

You are different, you usually PM me asking to toon, I feel obliged to make your request a reality :3

You are different, you usually PM me asking to toon, I feel obliged to make your request a reality :3

lol. sometimes I wonder if you get sick of playing with me. I try not to harrass you with platoon invites. I don't like being rude, even if I don't mean to.

I'll play with anyone, it's just my 2nd in platoons is usually a purple that gets disgusted at the sight of a non-purple, even blues digusts him.

So by reading this it seems my best option as of now is to reroll. :3

tbh I don't give a fuck about wn7, w/r when scoping 4 platoonz.

More like quick glance at tier 8+ dpg.

as long as it's higher than mine at least, gud 2 go

I personally do look at players stats when going to invite platoons. usually If I see anything at 50%+ im absolutly fine with playing with them. although I don't like being rude so a lot of players below that I will also platoon with. and some of them are actually bloody good. (see Cool_man) if there are people in the lower skill gap that want to play some games with better players and want to learn are always welcome to ask me for some basic help. I've been through that process so I know how it feels, and can help you get started. if im playing with Pityfool at that particular time (which I do alot actually, lol) then you get the bonus of a purple helping you out as well.

We gotta plat again sometime. Probably after I do this stupid IS-6 Sad Grind.

PityFool too! Getting a purple perspective is always refreshing, and it always seems to increase my WR by at least .1% overall, which is always nice.

lol. sometimes I wonder if you get sick of playing with me. I try not to harrass you with platoon invites. I don't like being rude, even if I don't mean to.

Haha no I enjoy tooning with you.

I'll play with anyone, it's just my 2nd in platoons is usually a purple that gets disgusted at the sight of a non-purple, even blues digusts him.

I think everytime Ive tooned with you i played like complete shit. Who is this 2nd?

We gotta plat again sometime. Probably after I do this stupid IS-6 Sad Grind.

PityFool too! Getting a purple perspective is always refreshing, and it always seems to increase my WR by at least .1% overall, which is always nice.

Yea I see you in pubs pretty often, i said "send inv" one day but got nothing :(

Now I dont know anything about the NA wotlabs channel, but I m active also in the biggest german pc forum and sometimes I get asked, if I m willing to platoon with some one (I usually only solo). So I look up their stats (WR, DpB on t7+ tanks) and sometimes see things like 48% WR and 1100 DpB on a t8 hvy - just as an example. I usually flat out refuse to platoon with these people, because that doesnt help him (beside from increasing his recent WR) and brings nothing for me, because there usually are enough meat shields in a random battle anyway.

What I do however is offer them 30-60 min in a training room with me and maybe platoon afterwards, if I have the time. And I tell them exactly why I ofter this training (get some basics right first and so on ...). The responses I get sometimes ... you wouldnt believe it. And even in training I noticed with some players after 15min they start to get bored and ask about when to platoon. Ofc there are also cases, where players are happy about that training session, but on the ofter hand I also put some of these people on the ignore list.  

Let me sum up the guide

How to get a platoon as a 48%er

- Show that you're willing to learn

- Ask nicely

- Ask if you can use a training room instead

The big problem I find with most sub-50% players I platoon is that at some point, they often let slip that they're not platooning to learn, they're platooning with me so they can play what they want and get carried, and that's one of my biggest beserk buttons.

In the forumites EU channel I will platoon with anyone pretty much once, if the guy turns out to be a total idiot though, does his own fail thing, ignores a request for support or just pushes when i say don't then I'll just kick him 

If i'm in stronk platoons or a carry channel , I'll tell remind them what the channel name is 

I'm usually willing to platoon with anyone if I'm looking in the wotlabs channel.

If I had a carry platoon in mind, I would've just sent out invites to a specific group of people or hopped around in havok/kitty TS.

Should I reroll then?  Or should I just be patient and wait for my stats to go up slowly?

Edit:Okay, I was just asking a question.  I know better now.  you don't have to neg me to death.

Should I reroll then?  Or should I just be patient and wait for my stats to go up slowly?

Yes you should reroll, because obviously rerolling helps you improve.

In any case, if you reroll as you are, you're going to reroll as a 49%er.

Good luck.

This isn't elitism (well it is, sort of), this isn't people ignoring you (well it is, sort of), it's the way it is, so read it through and be enlightened. /END DISCLAIMER

Okay, so if you're someone who would be considered a baddie (see: less than 50% w/r or does less than your own HP at tier 10), chances are you've had trouble finding platoons in the wotlabs channel. This isn't because they don't want to help you, it's because some of the people looking for platoons aren't asking everybody, they're really asking a specific group of people in the channel that they know can carry hard. Unless they say something about mentoring or accepting anyone, they probably don't mean you (sorry to break it to you, I really am :( )

This isn't the end though. There are several ways you can find someone to platoon with. When someone says they're looking for a plat, look at their stats. (Don't feel dirty, we all do it, and if you're some random asking to get into a purple plat you can bet your stats are glanced over before you get the invite.) If they are within your skill range, go ahead and ask. (In general, people will platoon +/- one color level.) If they're a little out there, PM them and ask. Purples don't bite. If they're looking for a carry platoon they'll probably tell you so nicely. Ask if they might be able to plat with you sometime later. They'll either give you a rain check or point you to someone who's more able and willing to show you the ropes (not everyone is a teacher.)

If you ask for a platoon, preface it with the fact that you're not the best. Trust me, the moment you ask, your stats window is opened by the great majority of people looking to platoon. Once they see that you're not their idea of a perfect plat mate, they just won't say anything and you'll end up being effectively ignored. If you just say it up front, you can avoid the cold shoulder and attract the attention of people on your skill level or people who are willing to give you advice. If you're specifically looking for a purple to help you, ask for someone to mentor you. There's usually someone willing.

Consider looking at the Community Mentor Program channel (spelled: Comunity Mentor Program -- someone mispelled it once and it's remained this way since.) If the channel's up, there are usually a few purples in there who are willing to platoon with just about anyone (though you'll probably need a mic - that's a requirement for many.) You can also post a thread in the Looking for Platoonie section of this forum and state your intentions.

Again, I know that not everyone does this, but I've seen more than a few sub-49%ers wandering around in the wotlabs channel asking for platoons and getting no answers. Lost pubbies give me many sads and I think that while most of us who have been here awhile understand this, some of the newcomers who haven't been around and are really trying to learn are being accidentally shut out.

What's the incentive although? They usually are 17~ yearold kids that dont really give two shits, and just want to get carried for a win.

What's the incentive although? They usually are 17~ yearold kids that dont really give two shits, and just want to get carried for a win.

It's relatively easy to tell if they want to learn or not.

The players who want to learn usually

- Follow the purple/blue in the platoon

- Follow calls or...

- Ask WHY things are done in a certain way (they want to learn similar applications for it)

- Try to elucidate their thoughts

- Are much more proactive

In general, you can just see these guys clearly trying to follow the leader and emulate his play, their play with a good platoon leader will be executed sloppily but will be generally theoretically sound (lacks instinctive play, but you can more or less SEE what the idea behind a play is)

The bads

- Just do what they think is best

- Don't follow calls or...

- Ask WHAT to do (they just want to follow a call into a win)

- Try to go hero mode

- Often ignore advice outright, ESPECIALLY when it comes to pushing where the player shows side or runs into the open (This usually what causes me to rage much, much, much more than anything)

These guys just want to win, they're trying to get a win by riding on the back of the blurple, and they don't want to learn

Most of these are just general rules

Yes do it , it's one of those funny quirks of WN that rerolling adds 1337 WN to your what are your now recent stats , why do you think so many people look down on rerolls it's because we're 1337 better than what we should be 

So by reading this it seems my best option as of now is to reroll. :3

Not really. I platoon with people whose overall stats are well below mine (see: Diastant, Clam Burglar) because their actual level of play is well above that of their overall stats. You can usually look at the DPG of their tens to find out of that's the case. If a red / yellow overall has a 2500+ dpg ten, I know his actual level of play is beyond his stats, more like a green or blue. If they have close to 3k dpg on a ten, I know they're playing at unicum level (depending on the 10; tds are expected to be the highest.) That's what I do at least :P

I dont like platooning with deep purples. They go to the same places i tend to go, then i end up sub 1k dmg. Fuck that, rather solo. My best platoon mates are sub 55% or same level.

It's becoming pretty apparent that the number of players who expect to be carried is much higher than expected.

Not gonna platoon with any more badlords who cant break 2k DPM TX henceforth.

TIL people that have good stats might actually platoon with me.

TIL people that have good stats might actually platoon with me.

You can ask around, but your main goal should be to make sure you dont come off as a baddie who's only in it for the carry if you lose.

I've had about seven different players who had that attitude to me this week... "dont worry even if i die you're good enough to carry".