Intumesce

Type 61: Exceeding Expectations

239 posts in this topic

I grinded myself to the Type 61 2 days ago, and after disliking the 90mm from the STA-1 so much, I free XP'd the turret, tracks, and 105mm gun from the get-go.

I'm so far much more happy with the Type 61 than with the STA-1. It's a lot more reliable on its own, and fixes some of the problems I had with the STA-1.

Compared to the STA-1, the Type 61 improves in the following areas:

+ APCR as standard ammo

+ An above-average rate of fire for its gun caliber per tier

+ A bit faster, both in acceleration and top speed

+ Has the tiny bit of extra armor it needs for luck bounces

+ No longer has a huge, vulnerable engine deck that sticks out

However...

- The rest of the tank becomes bigger;

- Its camouflage values are worse

- It has a kind of low ammo count, reminds me of the Object 416

- The aim time is very uncomfortable

Overall, the Type 61 is more or less a direct upgrade to the STA-1. The playstyle is more or less the same: thanks to your good pen and decent accuracy you can snipe and penetrate same-tier heavies frontally without too much difficulty. You still have 10 degrees of gun depression which you can abuse greatly.

You become noticeably faster than the STA-1, allowing you to move around more effectively.

I'm hoping the STB-1 will feel similarly and be an even bigger upgrade.

I played all 3 on test and liked all 3. they all seemed to fit to how I like to play. Im still stuck on the tier 4 medium, which isn't really that bad, as long as your in a tier 4 game. I cant wait to get to high tiers, although im kinda dreading the CHi-Ri, since its so bloody big. 

Oddly enough the Type 61 has downright terrible camo, as bad as the E-50. I say oddly because it's essentially a scaled down M47, and the M46 in game with top turret is...also basically the M47. And the Patton actually has useable, if unexceptional, camo ratings. Even with that tumor on top of the Type 61 it seems odd that its camo would be as bad as the much bulkier E-50 and T54e1.

The tier10 has pretty useable camo again, although STA-1 was the high point in the tree in terms of camo.

2.4K DPM

258 Pen

390 alpha

.36 dpm 

2.3 aim time

-10 depression

IN TIER 9 MOBILE MEDIUM

Only good thing about this tank is the gun.

Unlike what the game says, you are not a medium tank.

Play this tank as a Early game TD, Mid/Late game brawler for profit.

It is much easier and cheaper to stat pad in this tank than T-54.

70ish games, 2.8k average dmg. (It was 3.3k before I started to mess with pubbies and make them cry.(You are pushing me because you are not approving my play style? Here is a shot in your engine deck, and here is one for your ammo rack, enjoy!))

Sorry for offtopic, but anyone happen to know which mod that guy is using the video to display the damage received number in red and the attacker's tank name below the damage number?

I free XPed tracks/turret/gun. Played about 20 games - meh. Not that I hate this tank, but I find it much worse performer compare to my keepers - E50 and T-54. Heck... even Leo PTA felt like better tank - speed and accuracy.

Type 61:

1. Can't excel in long distance sniping - 0.36 accuracy SUCKS big time + small ammo capacity
2. Can't excel in brawling - paper armor - so most likely you will take all damage, no weight for ramming.
3. Can't excel in scouting - too slow to take key positions in time, huge size, bad camo rating - even Lorraine has better one. 
4. Feels like prone to module dmg more than T-54 and E50

Hopefully I will be able to find effective way using it. I consider trying to play with stock gun for slightly better dpm and faster aim time. 

Just looking at the stats of this tank it makes me think of a better M46 Patton. It's been a while since I played the M46 (right around when T10 TDs and mediums came out). The things I really remember hating about the M46 is the crap accuracy (.42, wtf! I forgot it was this bad) and bad pen (218 before sprem rounds). It seems like the Type 61 solves both of these problems, without adding any significant weakness.

As far as T9 mediums, does anyone feel like this is a keeper? I already had the T54 for a while, but got tired of shooting 75% heat, and I like the Obj 140 better anyways. Or do people feel it's good, but just play the STB-1 instead?

Type 61 isn't a keeper

It's not fun to play, it doesn't go fast, it doesn't have good camo, it doesn't have good armor, it only has a gun and gun depression, and even then the gun isn't all that great

This is the first T9 I've had in a while that I struggle to get more than 2000DPG in. The bad camo combined with the average view range means it usually won't out spot tanks and the rather poor accuracy means it cannot snipe very well. Compared to my T-54/M46/Cent 7 it just feels like a really bad tank that I cannot get to work at all. 

I'm too broke atm to free XP it as well so it's going to be an awful grind to the STB  :sad:

Type 61 isn't a keeper

It's not fun to play, it doesn't go fast, it doesn't have good camo, it doesn't have good armor, it only has a gun and gun depression, and even then the gun isn't all that great

Type 61 is best T9 medium, sakifags pls go.

Higher hp/t ratio and top speed than it's little brother the STA, 6th best hp/t ratio of the T9 mediums and acceptable terrain resistance, more camo than the E-50 which is workable as long as you keep good positioning and the gun is great (4th highest T9 medium DPM and good acpr round as standard). It's WN7 and especially WN8 is higher than the T-54 (best padder 12, 13) so it's definitely a keeper.  It's fun as long as you're not a big sexii.

Pls no bully, mister stupidly high WN8 ;_;

6th highest hp/t and more camo than the E-50 isn't much to brag about

Sure its WN8 modifiers are good but that's not my main category for assessing if a tank is a keeper or not...

both are good & FAME has plenty of ex-PTS bros anyway

Just looking at the stats of this tank it makes me think of a better M46 Patton. It's been a while since I played the M46 (right around when T10 TDs and mediums came out). The things I really remember hating about the M46 is the crap accuracy (.42, wtf! I forgot it was this bad) and bad pen (218 before sprem rounds). It seems like the Type 61 solves both of these problems, without adding any significant weakness.

As far as T9 mediums, does anyone feel like this is a keeper? I already had the T54 for a while, but got tired of shooting 75% heat, and I like the Obj 140 better anyways. Or do people feel it's good, but just play the STB-1 instead?

The Patton crap accuracy used to be much better then the T-54 (D-54 gun) thanks to the soft stats. Cant say how it is nowadays.

The Patton crap accuracy used to be much better then the T-54 (D-54 gun) thanks to the soft stats. Cant say how it is nowadays.

I never notice crap accuracy on Patton due to acceptable bloom while moving and good aim time. With most tanks, I shoot before circle is zoomed in anyway, so whether a tank has good accuracy and bad bloom or bad accuracy and good bloom is irrelevant to me, I shoot when the aim circle sort of covers what I want to hit.

I've been happy with this tank so far. It's not t-54 OP, but the gun is amazing for T9. And everything else about the tank feels good enough that it doesn't hold the tank back.

Besides the t-54, I haven't played a T9 medium for a while, but would guess this is one of the better ones. And you don't need to shoot sprem (like the t-54 or E-50).

I'll still probably not keep it because I kept the STA-1, and don't really feel like training another jap crew.

So has anyone tried this with the 90? Like the cent 7/1 the thing has insane amounts of dpm with the upgraded turret and the 90. 3.3k with just rammer and vent+bia. 212 isn't bad, after all several other T9 meds make do with that and the gold round is decent.

Those occasional moments when I can open up with the 90mm, it's epic. But, you're so soft and uncamoed that those instances don't really exist.

So after 150 games in this tank it appears that the hatch cannot be used to spot enemies, yet they can spot you if they have view over it. I am frequently spotted by tanks on the other side of rises when only my hatch is visible yet I cannot counter spot them at all, even if they are large heavies with no camo at all.

I've also finally pulled ahead of the 2000DPG barrier that was embarrassingly difficult to breach and it is moving towards the mid 2.5K where my other T9 mediums are at. I'm getting far better at driving this tank now but it still feels like dealing with the tanks shittiness is a bigger battle than actually playing the game. Only 60k XP to go to the STB and I will be able to sell this tank and try to forget it ever existed.

-Edit-

Did some training room testing with a friend, the machine gun on the hatch can be used as a point to spot your tank, but it cannot actually spot anything itself. I've never had this happen in other tanks with machine guns like the IS-7 but it's a bit fucking stupid I think.

qNJlX4Dl.jpg

b9Ubw1el.jpg