Intumesce

Type 61: Exceeding Expectations

239 posts in this topic

Not sure about consensus... but there's quite a spread of similar stuff... AMX30 and leo prot gives you better point to point mobility. Patton gives you even more comfort at the expense of sprem / pen.

Type 61 is.. a M46 Patton with a 85% driver/loader and 50% gunner. In exchange, you can spam apcr for practically free and HEAT box tanks. Oh, and you also suffer from frontal transmissions damage and frontal HE penetrations (by T49s/arty)

So I have a question about how to play this tank on city maps such as ruinberg. Obviously the ideal is to chai snipe so that your HT-like camo doesn't cause problems but when that's not possible do you recommend going to "heavy" areas and just poking on reloads or is there something else you can do? It seems that if you go places like field on ruinberg or sigfried line etc. then you just have to hide behind a building the entire game because as soon as you poke you're spotted.

I'm borderline debating dropping optics in favor of vents since you can't outspot anything anyway.

I had fun poking on reloads for city maps, but I'm bad. I do recommend swapping optics for vents. Like you said between the abysmal camo and paper armor your job isn't really front lining. You can cap out the range with vents + food anyway.

So since unlocking the top gun and switching to vents this has gone from borderline ragequit status to possibly my favorite tank. I don't have mods or any session tracking to confirm but I'm pretty sure the past 2 days since the upgrade I've been in the 2.5-3k dpg range and boosted my WR from like 40% to 56%. What I thought "sniping" was before, I've been doing it all wrong this tank is a fantastic opportunist and flanker. If you are patient and wait for no guns to be pointed at you you will be richly rewarded. Open maps are actually more difficult in my limited experience, and you can actually brawl surprisingly well if you flank and watch reloads and understand that you will never bounce a shot in your life.

I don't get how you people play this... I like the tank- have the top gun, not even bothering with the top engine, it's fast enough.

Good mobility, great gun.

Don't care about the lack of armor- except for that cupola. If it didn't have that oversize pos tumor on top of it's turret I'd love this thing.

How do you play this tank? I can't even really crest hills as the cupola appears before I do , and since anything can pen it..

Seriously is this just a mid distance sniper? Only bee 6 or so games, so I'm still getting used to it, but anytime I try and play hills I think I'm safe, and keep getting shot through the cupola.

8 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Seriously is this just a mid distance sniper?

Yep, I'd say it's exactly like that. It's capable of long-range engagements (0.35 acc + apcr), but lacks expertise against pro snipers (like amx30 or leo proto). Can't abuse ridgeline peeks because everyone autopens your tumor, which negates your aim-time/exposure edge.

STB-1, on the other hand...:MingLee:

1 hour ago, RunTheGears08 said:

pro snipers (like amx30)

WAT

are we talking about the bloom master cdc2 amx 30?

When I played that tank I did shot more shells into the ground and 2 m offside than any other tier 9 medium

Like that tank can't hit shit if you dont aim for 5 seconds:eww:

14 hours ago, Vindi said:

bloom master amx 30 :eww:

lol that's not wrong at all, yet when you chai-snipe, does it really matter if you have bad bloom, since you can sit down and aim forever....? :kappa:

Accuracy, shell velocity, camo, alpha and max speed are in my mind the most important sniper metrics, where type 61 is mediocre at best while AMX dominates almost all of em. AMX30's bloom is hnnng and turns like a shitwagon, but playing like a grille with turret, it's freaking awesome.

I would really like to be able to 3 Mark it before I sell it and finally transition to the STB-1, too bad I fluctuate too much between 0-1000 dmg games & 4-5k dmg ones....

Anyone got the numbers of the average total damage (done + assisted) required to 3 Mark it?

Sorry for double post, but... holy shit why is this thing so hard to 3 Mark?!

Just had a very nice 5.1k + 1.1k assist in Tier 10 and it barely went up by 1-1.5%, struggling to getting it over 85% again wtf

Anyone willing to share any tips and tricks how to play Type 61 in current heavy corridor meta? 

I keep struggling with this tank badly, even if I'm top tier. Like this one tier IX battle on Mountain Pass, south spawn. I really didn't know where to commit, so I tried support the push on 1. and 2. line. I tried to peak on enemy reloads, but the gun isn't behaving as I would like on snapshots (using vents and BIA), so I didn't do much damage and any time I tried to aim a bit longer, I got punished hard (even from tier 8 tanks, as there is no armor on the damn thing). Since there were no hull down positions, I decided to re-position and cross the valley and attack enemies on 1. line from behind. But after two shot (0 damage for the record, wanted finish low HP IS3, one shot bounced on its ass and the other went to the tracks) and I was then one shoted from enemy arta (my mistake, but still made me angry). So I ended up doing like 1.500 damage.
And this similar scenarios happen to me way too often with this tank..

So guys, can you share any advice for this noob trying to play jap. paper tank? I really hate failing my team when I am top tier, but I just cannot find the ideal role in most games.

18 minutes ago, MatzerMike said:

Anyone willing to share any tips and tricks how to play Type 61 in current heavy corridor meta? 

I keep struggling with this tank badly, even if I'm top tier. Like this one tier IX battle on Mountain Pass, south spawn. I really didn't know where to commit, so I tried support the push on 1. and 2. line. I tried to peak on enemy reloads, but the gun isn't behaving as I would like on snapshots (using vents and BIA), so I didn't do much damage and any time I tried to aim a bit longer, I got punished hard (even from tier 8 tanks, as there is no armor on the damn thing). Since there were no hull down positions, I decided to re-position and cross the valley and attack enemies on 1. line from behind. But after two shot (0 damage for the record, wanted finish low HP IS3, one shot bounced on its ass and the other went to the tracks) and I was then one shoted from enemy arta (my mistake, but still made me angry). So I ended up doing like 1.500 damage.
And this similar scenarios happen to me way too often with this tank..

So guys, can you share any advice for this noob trying to play jap. paper tank? I really hate failing my team when I am top tier, but I just cannot find the ideal role in most games.

Basically you have to commit to redline sniping as if: "second-line support". This means that you have to double your willpower not to push even if you are top tier and have to read map & relocate all the time.

This tank is very similar to the amx 30 playstyle-wise which means that the first half of the battle you need to isolate and kill targets and if that is not the case (city maps) just follow heavies / larger number of allies and farm behind their backs.

This tactic is basically valid in all situations currently in world of tanks because usually the teams are so bad that you must have (almost) your full hp unless you will die instantly when the 5 enemy tanks jumps on you because the team is losing 0-8 2 minutes into the battle.