Never

Project Log: Kraftwerk

144 posts in this topic

Do you have UPS or Fedex equivalents there?  I get 5,000 lb packages delivered by ups all the time lol.

Yea, and your UPS man carries it in one hand, too.

Do you have UPS or Fedex equivalents there?  I get 5,000 lb packages delivered by ups all the time lol.

Somebody is spying on you.. I think they want to jack your stuff..

1389103856ng7sDG5b7Y_1_1.jpg

Well there are private companies that do land deliveries of big stuff, but they are usually slow and expensive. Our postal service is pretty much monopolized by the state-owned Correios. Funnily enough, it's one of the few public services in Brazil that actually work well.

You're replacing Vengeance with Dominator? Why not just buy more Vengeance?

On a side note: I initially installed 8GB of that Corsair Vengeance RAM. After starting to get into 3D modeling and rendering I should probably consider upgrading to 16GB.

You're replacing Vengeance with Dominator? Why not just buy more Vengeance?

On a side note: I initially installed 8GB of that Corsair Vengeance RAM. After starting to get into 3D modeling and rendering I should probably consider upgrading to 16GB.

I have 2 4GB Vengeance sticks which limits me to 16GB. So I wanna buy 16GB and get it ready for 32GB shall the need ever arise. So if I'm going to be upgrading my RAM sticks, might as well get the shiny ones.

Case is here! Luckily I had my handy Kitty Meter to have an idea on the size of this thing (and holy s- it's heavy)

uGhhv3x.jpg

I'm not gonna bother unboxing it today, I'll leave it for tomorrow when the MoBo will (hopefully) arrive.

Yea, and your UPS man carries it in one hand, too.

UPS here in AMERICA also uses tractor trailers for delivery...and I use a forklift to unload.  Are there no tractor trailers in Brazil?

Boxes have arrived!

X2bOna3l.jpg

First one is nothing special, just a can of compressed air for general cleaning

EwvM7OEl.jpg

Second box is the MX-4 Thermal Compound

ggtQn9Bl.jpg

And finally, what we have all been waiting to see...

3toWc9Nl.jpg

Glorious...

As I pulled the inside box out of the cover, it made the distinctive fart sound, proving that this is indeed a genuine G1 series motherboard from Gigabyte.

As usual, comes with a bunch of stickers and a poster...

eKZCTx6l.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

BkgtYGpl.jpg

And some glamour shots...

dIDAYAcl.jpg

KB2lXe9l.jpg

gkEWs43l.jpg

NJLDvbul.jpg

Now, I'm not gonna be building it right now. The reason for that is that I spent the entire evening streaming tonks. It's almost 11 a.m here and I haven't slept yet, so if I try to do something sensitive like building a computer right now, I'm probably gonna end up with dead components and MX-4 up my nose.

So I'm gonna get some sleep and come back refreshed and ready to put this sexy thing together!

Looks sweet I really like your green theme....just need to pop that little skull off, skulls are tacky imo.

Case looks awesome! The green theme should look great!

Ok, some good news, bad news, bad news, bad news, good news, good news, bad news and good news again.

Here are the news, in order of occurrence:

The first good news is that I took apart my old build, and installed the MoBo, processor and RAM on the 900D.

p6iWGfO.png

The first bad news is that the skull won't come off that easily, so I'm leaving it for now. It's probably going to be covered by my second 660. But I have a plan to mask it that's gonna add some pretties to the project.

The second bad news is regarding PCIe / PCI lanes. If I use the first 2, I won't have any PCI lanes available for my Xonar sound card since the cards will cover them both. So I'm going to use the first and third PCIe lanes for my 660s.

The third bad news is that my SLI cable is not big enough to cover the distance.

The second good news is that I can use the 3-way SLI bridge that came with the MoBo to cover the distance. It's also black and rigid (no homo), so it's gonna look much better than my old orange SLI bridge. I also plan to mod the bridge.

The third good news is that the PSU is also installed, and I removed the sticker part with the PSU information, so it looks much cleaner.

elNKofu.png

The fourth bad news is one that could have completely halted the project until I could buy a very expensive new PSU. The problem is related to the 8-pin connector that the MoBo requires. The 8-pin cable on my PSU is not long enough to reach the connector behind the motherboard plate, and if I connect it from the front, I can't put anything on the PCI / PCIe slots. Well that sucks...

But then came the fifth good news! As I looked around the case to figure out a way to pull this off, I noticed something strapped to the back...

6XuUMOJ.png

Oh yeah baby! The project was saved by Corsair's amazing foresight. They predicted many would have this problem and included an 8-pin extension on the case. This, ladies and gentlemen, is customer care at work.

9WVhyUA.png

(Pictured above: Customer Fuckin' Care, bitches. Learn from Corsair)

So basically the only bad news is that the skull doesn't come off? (lel that would sound so weird in a room full of people)

My corsair PSU didn't come with an extender. :( Although I only chose the CX600 which they probably wouldn't recommend for a full-tower anyway.

Ok, scratch what I said before. Don't know what the f- I was thinking. The other bad news would be that I wouldn't be able to use 2 16x PCI-e lanes for my 660s, but I just remembered that if my card is PCI-e (which it is, 1x), I can just put it in any PCI-e slot of any size and it will work.

This way I can take advantage of the double 16x lanes and still have my Xonar. Not only that, I can also install the wireless network card that came with the motherboard in the fourth slot in case I need it.