Intumesce

STB-1 Thread

445 posts in this topic

It's a fun tank! The gun... yes you want to let it aim all the way. When the gun works, it's beautiful. When it doesnt, urghlerrrrmehgwad.

Can bounce using the turret. Feels like the AMX30 proto, but gave up accuracy for faster reload, and gave up top speed for more gun depression.

Thoroughly pleased with the tank. Now, off to find (grind) its German cousin, the Leo 1.

I love this tank. With the current meta favoring ridge line fighting this thing is a beast. My crew is only on it's 2nd skill but i'm looking forward to BIA and the driver/gunner accuracy perks/skills to help improve gun handling.

Just got this and I'm loving it. The DPM is just insane and lets you burn down enemies in a right jiffy. My shots/pen rate is abysmal in it but who cares when you reload in 6.33s!

As an example, in my last game which lasted 7 mins 28s, I fired 23, hit 19 and penned 12. Still came away with 4.1k dmg and 3.2k assisted (although most of the assisted damage was from shots that veered to tracks).

The turret holds up pretty good as well as long as you utilise depression fully and minimise exposure. I get the gun-handling isn't as good as the hovermeds but thus far it seems pretty acceptable to me given the number of horror stories told in this very thread.

I got my first Steel Wall in this tank! 

Can confirm turret can be troll, if RNG gods are on your side.

Hm..... makes me wonder, is PTA turret this good too? I hear it's not...

PTA/Leo turret is completely paper. Think STA-1's turret, you can get a bounce or two if the shot hits the mantlet at a weird angle, but that's about it.

Does the STB-1 actually have worse handling than the Type 61? 'Cos I'm missing a lot so either that or I need to aim more and snapshot less.

Yes, but unlike the Type 61 it has the camo, turret armor, and size to aim its shots without getting blown away. Also, with DPM that high you can actually afford to miss a shot and not destroy your damage output.

I'm very excited that the on track to the STB-1 is coming this month. I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews and replays trying to get mentally prepared. I think this will be my first t10 after getting to t9 on a few other lines.

After playing the STB for 60+ games, despite doing okay in it (2500 DPG, 58% WR) I must say it's not really my tank/ tank for solo. Sure it has great dpm but that DPM works best in a pack or occasionally when the opponents make a stupid mistake like rushing in front of its gun. Otherwise compare to the Leo 1 it literally trade 1s of reload time for 1s of aim time. And the number of misses pretty much balance out its DPM advantage.

For solo play honestly the Leo 1 is better, you can make your own opportunity by doing hit and run all the time.

Or maybe I have been playing the STB slightly too aggressive than I should. Leo 1 - 43% survival rate, STB - 26% survival rate lol

I feel that the STB is one of those tanks that if you can play it well consistently, you're probably a pretty good player. It rewards aggression in that it has high DPM so if you have targets, you won't be wishing you could fire faster. However, it punishes recklessness because it has fairly soft modules (not as bad as the 140) and soft armor outside of the turret, which means aside from your ridiculous DPM, you actually can't flat-out brawl that well. It's quite alarming how fast one can lose their health in an STB. It also punishes chai-sniping - especially if RNG hates you. The gun isn't made to snipe, and you might get lucky and hit a lot of shots at range, but in the long run it's not going to do you much good. Maintaining that happy medium of not being in a situation where you have to brawl other mediums and trade shot for shot, blow for blow, but also not being in a situation where you're being passive and chaisniping, that's key to playing the STB. Surprise, I find that that's also the key to being good at this game.

This is why I feel that people say the RU meds are forgiving. You have enough armor to withstand the storm better than other mediums (read: brawl), and your gun has better soft stats so you can afford to chaisnipe more. But overall, I feel that the potential is greater with the STB. If you can nail the STB, man oh man, does it feel great.

And yes. SEXIEST TENK IN GAEM, WG PLZ MAKE HD.

Got this beauty :D
QlfL6im.jpg
Sometimes gun makes you tear your hair out, but when it connects, that 3.5k dpm 390alpha combination + 10 gun depression is excellent combination :D
10/10 would re-grind again :oscar:
Edit: Finally :happyfish:

ksAI9rN.jpg
TRgJoSC.jpg

Edited by BedakCoa
Adding ACE screenshots ^_^

Can anyone share some dank replays on how to do damage with this tank? I wanna triple mark it but landing fully aimed shots at 200m at stationary targets seems to not work

Enjoying the type61, about to unlock the stb. Is it a good upgrade? As much as I'm.enjoying the 61, its not a keeper for me.. I'm 50/50 whether I want the stb at all now.

My next goal is to farm free XP to get remaining 30k XP needed for Type 61. Looking forward to STB-1, its gonna be my next tier 10 after TVP and IS-7.

Just some random thoughts, but I think the new hydraulics might be the game-changer for this sexy babe, if WG decides to give the historical configuration.

-12 depr = reliable turret (you can try it on sand rivers, bounced heavy HEAT like crazy) + insane exposure. Suddenly this thing have gud staying power and can utilize its DPM like a boss.

The hydraulics raise your tank slowly but you have to spend that bit of time aiming anyways. 

7 hours ago, RunTheGears08 said:

Just some random thoughts, but I think the new hydraulics might be the game-changer for this sexy babe, if WG decides to give the historical configuration.

-12 depr = reliable turret (you can try it on sand rivers, bounced heavy HEAT like crazy) + insane exposure. Suddenly this thing have gud staying power and can utilize its DPM like a boss.

The hydraulics raise your tank slowly but you have to spend that bit of time aiming anyways. 

Strong turret becomes even stronger :D

iQhfS6q.jpg

6 hours ago, Bobi_Kreeg said:

They'll ruin it.

I'd rather they buff the gun handling. 
"but won't that make it OP/unbalanced?"
*looks at tier 10 super heavy tanks*
since when did that matter?

1 hour ago, ThomChen114 said:

*defibrillating this almost necro thread*

STB-1 finally in HD in 9.20.1 

<snip the rest of it>

I didn't know it possible to fall in love twice

But if they nerf that tank in any way I'm going to throw a fit. 

I think the covering actually might increase the armor efficiency of the tank, as it could be harder to tell the flat 132 parts of the turret/mantlet apart from the steeply angles parts.