Intumesce

STB-1 Thread

441 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Hally said:

Shouldn't it be getting siege mode sometime in the future?

WG hasn't mentioned anything for 9.20.1 yet.

They did say they'd implement them if they worked a long time ago, and in May they already had the HD model finished. To me, it would seem as if they waited with releasing the HD model, so that they could release it alongside any changes to the tank (Siege mode). Them deciding to release the HD model now, without mentioning any changes to the tank yet
( This time, we’re examining the British Tech Tree, American light tanks, and the famed Chinese Type 59 , no mention of STB in that article nor on any leak-sites that I could find ) 
makes me thing that they've given up on the idea. 

Then again, it could make sense. The 30B in a sense stole part of the STB's thunder recently, and in line with wanting to make the T10 mediums different, they might see the STB and 30B as being too similar (which I personally don't, but this WG we're talking about)

If they have however decided to can the concept, I'd somewhat relieved. I'm afraid they'd ruin the playstyle otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Hally said:

Shouldn't it be getting siege mode sometime in the future?

NO

it might work in theory and IRL, but in World of Tanks medium tanks depend on mobility and flexibility

if they did, it'd be the death knell of the STB-1, they might as well reclassify it as a "hybrid TD"

OH MY GOD THEY'RE DOING ITTTTT

WG, you're giving me a heart attack

Capture.PNG

this also means there won't be hydraulic suspension (I hope)!

On 9/15/2017 at 6:31 PM, GloriousPotatoes said:

OH MY GOD THEY'RE DOING ITTTTT

WG, you're giving me a heart attack

Capture.PNG

this also means there won't be hydraulic suspension (I hope)!

You mean my STB-1 turret won't get snapshot penned by a Maus from 450m anymore?

If they decide to implement the hydraulic suspension for the STB-1, then it should only be fair to have the Russian medium tanks reload down to 3 rounds per minute 

On 9/19/2017 at 8:16 AM, ThomChen114 said:

You mean my STB-1 turret won't get snapshot penned by a Maus from 450m anymore?

If they decide to implement the hydraulic suspension for the STB-1, then it should only be fair to have the Russian medium tanks reload down to 3 rounds per minute 

Got this from Daily Bounce

Combined two.png

Now we both know how special the shaping of the STBabe no. 1 turret is, so I won't speculate on thicknesses around the board (not too much at least), but at the very least the thing will be sturdier, against tier 8s if nothing else.

I'm going to speculate despite what I just said...

Overall the turret is weaker in places that aren't the front - the turret roof will be weaker, but not anything that could get over matched unless shooting from above, with the exception being 170mm+ guns hitting the top of the turret still viewable from the front. Will be weaker against HE, but the tank was already weak regarding that.

The current weakest part of the STBeautiful mantlet is the middle, being about 132 mm at the weakest and only circa 270 mm when reaching the top, before the autobounce 248 mm thing on the top of the mantlet.
Next patch, the thickness of the mantlet would become a lot more even, 240 mm at the mantlet and decreasing as you go up or down, in total that being 270-280 mm * with angles (* being extremely rough). Note that currently, the tank doesn't have armor behind the mantlet, so it probably won't have next patch either.

The cheeks are currently 132 mm thick, and 190-200 mm effective. Next patch, being 190 mm to start with, this would probably become 250 mm.

Some parts of the turret (those further towards the back - the edges - when viewed from the front) will become just slighty weaker, the overall front however increasing. This won't mean too much however, because they're both still at autobounce angles. Actually very little of the STB's turret apart from the mantlet isn't richochet material. Take a look at this (current model of course) :

capt0.JPGcapt1.JPG

As you can see, only 'small' parts of the turret are penetrate-able from the front (even when firing HEAT), even if this does go slightly against my experiences in the tank.. So that buff would make the STBrilliant's cheeks harder to pen for lower tier vehicles, or people who get bad pen rolls.

But alas, this is all speculation. I'm no genius, I can't figure out angles and thicknesses by looking at stuff, but this should be in the right ballpark.

Edit: TAP just released some pictures of theirs, they got the back of the thing too :
arm.jpg

So the back of the turret is going to become a a lot more vulnerable to HE. Note that someone might be able to snipe the now much more weakly armored cupola from the side, while you're engaging someone else, and penning it HE.

P.S, you can already get the HD model of the tank (and the T34-3 for anyone who wants that) here :
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/09/16/download-9-20-1-hd-models/

And yes, it looks damn good :
shot_448.png

P.S.S
Maybe this should belong in the upcoming changes section... Can't be bothered to post it just yet though. I have to go slam my head against a wall in ranked. 
I have to kit this out with full iEquipment somehow

Edited by GloriousPotatoes
update

From the pictures on TAP, doesn't this look more like a nerf? It's definitely from the side/top/back of the turret, but the front seems to have less armor in numerous spots , the cheeks look stronger, but around the top looks like it's less.

3 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

From the pictures on TAP, doesn't this look more like a nerf? It's definitely from the side/top/back of the turret, but the front seems to have less armor in numerous spots , the cheeks look stronger, but around the top looks like it's less.

From an artillery point of view... things are not looking good. Sure the turret is mostly thicker directly from the front, but that doesn't matter at all when it will just splash onto weakly armored parts regardless. For someone like me however, who almost always has his turret facing where his opponents will be (right click is best click), in turn almost always from the direction artillery will hit me, this hopefully won't affect me too much, but It'll definitely be more aware of who's shooting what, and where they are; I'll be more aware of my side turret or rear more than I currently am especially. Thank SerB though there's less artillery now that there used to be, even if Type's are now a problem.

The turret roof won't be too much of a problem, ignoring the more painful HE. Right above the mantlet it's 60 mm, which will bounce anything but AP from FV4005 and FV183s, which are all spamming HE anyway that will now splash the STBlissful for 1k anyway (by the way, look forward to seeing more FV4005s next patch). Above that is 50 mm, so beware of 151+ mm (everything but ruskie 750 alpha guns) guns, when you're fighting on flat ground, which as an STBest you shouldn't be doing but you can't always dictate the fighting angles perfectly. Finally there's 40 mm above that, but you won't be hitting that at all unless you are on flat ground (with a taller vehicle) at minimum, and again, you should at the very least be using some gun depression in the STBoss, to minimize exposure, and next patch minimize weakspots.

HEAT might be a problem with it's 85 degrees-before-ricochets mechanic, but I'm not sure. Let's hope the angles are just good enough, and the armor thick enough alongside it.

To be honest, it hinges a bit to much on how effective that frontal turret in actuality will be, for my my tastes. Let's hope the angles and thickness of the new turret front is going to make up for all the changes, enough so to bounce standard ammo reliably at tier 10. WG personally classified it as improving the turret armor of the tank in the supertest patchnotes, so by their reasoning it will be, and by the looks of it it might be, but as I said before - I'm no genius, I can't figure out thicknesses resulting from angles by looking at stuff, and going about calculating that off the current model is faaaaarrr too much work, when we can check it soon anyway when the test server goes up.

WG, please don't ruin her.

Tank is completely outclassed by the 30B now, it really needs a gun handling buff.

45 minutes ago, CandyVanMan said:

Tank is completely outclassed by the 30B now, it really needs a gun handling buff.

But the STBeyond-fabulous still has looks!

At minimum it should have the same gunhandling stats as the Type 61. A depression buff, or a slight depression nerf for the 30B, wouldn't hurt alongside with it.
The STB's niche was being an aggressive, high-DPM tank with gundrepression and a 'decent' turret. Now every other tier 10 medium and their mother has ~9 degrees of depression and more armor, making the STB less special in that regard.
The other niche, the DPM, is now less relevant as most other tier 10 mediums, and even heavy tanks for that matter, have been creeping up on it with countless buffs, as well as the introduction of new tanks (S. Conq. has about 3.4k DPM fully kitted). The 30B now has higher DPM with 390 alpha, than the high-DPM 390 alpha tank..

This is the second time since the tanks introduction the thing will be touched. First time was when they nerfed the pen of tier 10 mediums, which was canned. This time will be the first, that the tank has changed any on the live server (if it goes through ofc, which I don't see it not doing).

Let's hope WG addresses the thing properly when they come around to rebalancing the Japanese tree. Currently, on the 1st iteration of the common test, the tank on flat ground has a turret worth 250 mm (Sidenote: just like I predicted! Damn, I'm good) to autobounce, while at the same time they made the tank artillery's favourite bitch. The buff alone, without the side/rear armor turret nerf would've been good in my book, but as is, the downside of being weaker to HE, even with the frontal turret buff, just makes the tank weaker still in comparison to the other meds.

What I think, is that WG sees the statistical data on the STB, and sees that it's performing well, not taking into account the type of player that usually plays the vehicle (many good ones). Therefore they won't buff the tank to the level it requires.

But frankly, it's fine in my book. Even if it's weaker, the tank is some of the most fun I've had in this game for a long time. It's also the tank I do the best in, even if it's supposed to be somewhat outclassed by other tier 10s.

3 hours ago, CandyVanMan said:

Boost DPM. 3.5K range, make it unique. 

On 9/22/2017 at 1:48 PM, BlackAdder said:

Boost DPM. 3.5K range, make it unique. 

That would give the tank 400 higher base DPM than the STRV 103B...

Edited by GloriousPotatoes
400 not 4000 derp

24 minutes ago, GloriousPotatoes said:

That would give the tank 400 higher base DPM than the STRV 103B...

But STRV is a laser gun, this is a potato. 

10 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

But STRV is a laser gun, this is a potato. 

Imagine that up close though..

I get what you're saying however - I was able to get my reload down to 5.4s on the test server (+ iEquipment and Adrenaline rush), and I felt misses which were inevitable were just as fine.

But 5.4s is broken on a tank like the STB, even with the bad handling.

This tank was always beautiful, and I like the HD model. I finally got my new STB-1 up to 50% win rate, and so far it's been a blast. Its firepower has me looking forward to the Patton. Mine has a 6.75s reload with only BIA and rammer, and in most scenarios I don't wish it was faster. 

Did I mention it looks great?