JenkaTamar

WorstPlayer_NA's potty mouth or Why would you be less than civil in chat?

124 posts in this topic

I'm not really calling out WorstPlayer_NA for his language, I'm just trying to figure out why so many good players seem to be chat banned.  What font of rage drives a player, who secure in his skill and power, still feels the need to spew hate and filth in In-game Chat.  

Now rage from deep red schlubs I can see.  In a lot of cases they are bad because of the attitude that needs to vent itself in hate in chat.  They are spewing their frustration at their failure or just trying to push peoples buttons so they feel that they have accomplished something.  But top players HAVE accomplished quite a bit.  They are very skilled and for the most part have the respect of their community. Why would they still need to say ban worthy things in game, for folks so driven to improve themselves I would have thought it easy to discard the potty fingers along with their other bad habits.

Again, I don't really want to call out WorstPlayer_NA (he just mentioned it in the "I saw some one famous" thread) , but I've met several top players who I have interacted with in game who any reply (Usually helpful, insightful, and polite) has come from a third party because the person I asked a question of was chat banned.

I just find this very strange.

Thanks,

Jenka Tamar

sometime, it is name and shame that get them RO

sometime, they feel need to vent out which WG don't approve (not suggest they rage more than baddie)

sometime, they get RO because rules are sketchy (Garbad get one warning for "Hard to read")

Good players want to win. They dont accept failure like reds/yellows that just dont care.

Well... form my experience with Worst... and granted I've never talked to him or even wanted to... but he is the type of person that thinks he is God's gift to the game and he walks talks and acts like it all the time. I tend to ignore these people, and you should too.

Haven't been chat banned yet, but I imagine I have one coming to me eventually. For me personally, it mostly stems from the fact that on Lakeville or Cliff, I specifically say at the start "please don't all go 1-2 line", and then the pubs proceed to send 10 people there and camp for uselessness. At this point I like to rage at them, not for being bad, but for specifically being ignorant tards and doing exactly what I recommend they don't do.

I read a really interesting study that touched on rage in multiplayer games. I can't find it, but it boiled down to people being better at something when they are emotionally invested in it. Sure, a lot of chat rage is done by horrible players. But, there are a lot more horrible players than good ones. I concur with your observation; better players rage at a higher frequency than the mediocre... Which results in chat bans!

I very rarely get angry at the game. I like it, but am not emotionally invested enough in my own performance or the outcome to let it evoke enough anger to let insults fly at 80 words per minute. Maybe that is the reason I have plateaued? Maybe I need to be able to get mad and rage more and care more in order to get any better?

I make stupid mistakes. I laugh and say that I'll try not to do THAT again... But I always do eventually. If I allowed my blood to boil I might just keep my game face on.

I'm not really calling out WorstPlayer_NA for his language, I'm just trying to figure out why so many good players seem to be chat banned. 

They're trying to farm gold, because eventually someone like you will make a thread like this.

I do like to call my teammates retards kikes mr sexiis paint sniffers bobs autistic time to time, but because nobody on EU speaks English I never get chatbanned for it.

The last time I was chatbanned it was for telling a Frenchie to surrender.

When that 55%er ST-I with full HP just needed to poke his turret around not even to fire but just to take the attention off the 268 and make him turn so I could clip him, crush that flank and flank the tanks pushing our left... Yet he doesn't, oh no, to fucking do something, anything would be too fucking much to ask. So he just sits there, full hp, with head up his ass as we struggle to deal with tanks pressing around both side of the hill. When a hard fought winnable game loss because one dipshit is too scared to even take one bit of damage to his tank, just so he gets rushed after we all die and ended up doing zero damage. When his excuse was "I'm new to the tank" for not even ATTEMPT to get a fucking shot in... yeah I fucking rage. I rage at the morons that throw away a winnable game. I rage because every win I have to drag the team kicking and screaming, clear out the flank just so they drive straight to cap and sit there, intentionally get shot so enemy TD get lit so they don't pick out 7 of our tanks trying to drive across an open field to attack their camping forest.

When I end up on a team full of red against full green and blue, that's just getting fucked so I shrug it off and move on.

They're trying to farm gold, because eventually someone like you will make a thread like this.

I'm not sure I understand.  Ragging at puppbies can get you gold?     

Okeano:

Thank you for the link, It was very informative and a good read.

The only time I really rage is when someone is absolute shit in at game but act in chat like they know what end of the barrel to point at the enemy.

Because Petco. Seriously.

EDIT: On a more serious note, it's often that we know what a player would need to do to succeed in a situation, and it's frustrating when we see players struggling to discern the correct course of action. It also doesn't help that a lot of these same players react negatively when we try to give pointers in chat, if they even notice.

I'm not sure I understand.  Ragging at puppbies can get you gold?     

Not sure you caught the point there...

What font of rage drives a player, who secure in his skill and power, still feels the need to spew hate and filth in In-game Chat.  

The Font of Rage is fed by the River of Frustration,   and the waters there run deep and fast. 

I never really rage, but more and more lately I end up berating and insulting my teammates. I find myself less and less able to tolerate bads as time goes on. Haven't been chatbanned yet, though.

I just find this very strange.

Thanks,

Jenka Tamar

This actually isn't a bad question.

I really try not to rant at people, and I'm trying to break out of the habit of reflexively snapping back at people that start flaming at me in chat (including one or two people in here... sorry guys)

But it's pretty simple, as far as myself and those I play with - we play games to relax and unwind from the nonsense we have to deal with all day IRL.  Stupid people cost me a huge amount of time and money on a regular basis.  It's extremely frustrating when we can't even escape into a game without dealing with potted plants. 

Someone is deep red?  Fine.   Someone makes a pretty big screw up - TK's you, blocks you in, whatever - hey, stuff happens.  I derp out plenty of times myself.  But sometimes it's simply too much to deal with and not flip out.  Example from last night:

Player has 20k+ games.  They spend a full 2 minutes driving a slow, slow tank towards the enemy cap.  Our team had gotten spanked, but if this guy makes it into the circle in time we win and nothing can stop it - we have another tank in cap with a modest head start, and they just got their last 2 tanks on our cap.  This guy makes it with a good 10+ seconds to spare.   But, wait no - Houston, we have a problem.  He's still going.   It doesn't look like he's going to stop.  20 seconds of frantic chat asking him to stay in cap and.... he drives right on out the other side and off into the sunset.   He makes it a good 75m or so before the the screaming from chat registers in potatoland, then he starts reversing towards the cap at about 7 km/h.

How can you not rage at someone like that?   I'm not mad at someone like that for being bad at tanks; I'm mad at them for being an idiot in general.   These are the players that are as bad as they are not because they don't care, but because they're not smart enough to understand that they're bad in the first place.

I don't get mad at pubbies. Sure I'll repeatedly ask why they sat in the back with an IS-4 or decided to rush and die with a 50B, but get angry and call them baddies? No.

I assume beforehand that everybody around me is completely retarded. I don't expect anything from my team other than total idiocy. Sure there will be a pubbie that throws the match, but what's the point in calling names? Why PM him and call him bad? It won't solve anything other than make you even more furious.

Typically I disregard blatantly terrible plays and just leave them behind me. It's not good for the body to be constantly angry at a video game even if it's competitive. You're playing a game paired with people that don't care about winning. Put them on your back and achieve victory. If you fail you only have yourself to blame.

Actually, these days I'm quite grateful to my pubbies for being bad.

Because while I know they'll lose some games for me, I also know that the main reason I have such high DPG is because they're too incompetent to steal it from me. 

I get mad at purples for the same reason.

Put them on your back and achieve victory. If you fail you only have yourself to blame.

THIS is why I get so furious at the game. I blame myself constantly. Probably more than I should. And I've found that raging at pubbies for no reason is slightly more cathartic than going and cutting myself.

It's not good for the body to be constantly angry at a video game even if it's competitive. 

I agree with that, but I'm also quite certain that one of the huge mistakes we're making as a culture is not telling someone when they're being an idiot.   This is precisely how we end up with triple-platoons of 39%'ers who think they're amazing.

I agree with that, but I'm also quite certain that one of the huge mistakes we're making as a culture is not telling someone when they're being an idiot.   This is precisely what causes the triple-platoons of 39%'ers who think they're amazing.

Unfortunately, said people are also pretty unlikely to do anything but dismiss any criticism.

Yeah, bad pubbies > good pubbies.

It rolls both ways on each team, less good people to steal damage, also more incompetent people to drive in front of your gun and die.

Response to OP: Wursts tlaking

Tl;dr if you don't like it put him on ignore or get out, he's pretty funny most of the time.