rocketbrainsurgeon

Getting Better at Internet Tanks - The Cuddly, Complex, and Enduring Way by Garbad

25 posts in this topic

This is for discussing Getting Better at Internet Tanks - the Cuddly, Complex, and Enduring Way by Garbad

This article is a response to Kewei's Getting Better at World of Tanks - the Brutal, Simple, and Timely Way whose

Both articles are linked together, consummating Garbad and Kewei's union for as long as the internet shall exist.

I will play witness to this union. Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

say no 2 racial interbreeding

#whiteamerica

Heres how I got purpl stats:

Solopub 55% in 2011 randomly derping around

Solopub 59% in 2012, then found some people to pad with

platoon all day to get 67% in 2013.

overall no difference in skill level,

Nice article. I guess I'll try to improve my terribad winrate on my T110E5 [Haven't played it since 2000 battles].

This

http://www.worldoftanksguide.com/maps-new/map-siegfried-line.jpg

is the best advice i've ever seen in a guide.

This is my fault, not his.  For SEO purposes, the articles rank better with an image.  Sadly, a proper image isn't always available.

I will take care in the future to include an action shot, meme, or something else that's either more relevant or funny.

I've always thought consistency, or the lack there of, has been the thing that's holding me back the most.  There are times where it seems like I just can't help but derp into the enemy and die uselessly.  A portion of those derps can be chalked up to me mistakenly thinking that the pubbies will follow my charge, an enemy doing something uncommon and accidentally spoiling my plan, and arty.  The rest of my poor play can be chalked up to trying and improve my activity level as Garbad puts it.  Looking for places to get more shots in, not being static on the map and trying to be effectively aggressive have led to some great games, but have also yielded some pretty poor results.  Thus the reason why my recent scores have been pretty stagnant lately.  I feel like I'm pretty close to a break through.

As is befitting this union, I think that there is truth on both sides... a love-child as you were.

That mental image... does anyone have brain-bleach?

I certainly see Garbad's point about considering "what brings us closer to winning" as paramount, and something I plan to take to heart.

On the other hand, Kewei is also right, that the lessons you learn in obliterating pubbies in a T49 or M18 are limited.  I've been working back into higher tier play of late, and it is absolutely better competition, and something which forces me to think more and harder about what I'm doing.

So, for my path in moving up the food chain, I certainly see worthwhile things on both sides.

I think Garbad meant Endearing instead of Enduring. 

Nevermind, I just realized he was paralleling my title. 

Either way, our union has been consummated - till death do us part. 

Given my survival rates, get ready for a long life as a widow.

kuato.jpg 

The birth of Garwei or Kewbad will kill one of you...

I philosophicaly agree with kewei's method, but i'm to big of a pussy to do it myself >.<, better try the garbard way, hehe.

Last night n a game of sand river I saw a tank hide behind the mud houses while was driving my Matilda. Figured I'm safe from fire, a few TDs of my side were shuttering around me, and so happen I remembered Garbad had suggested something like shot more rather than shot less before. Matilda shoots fast and have plenty of cheap ammo anyway.

I just stopped and started to shoot non-stop like a madman to destroy houses which covering him in order to get him exposed. Well but .... he moved house after house. I failed to kill him. However he did ran into another guy's fire line and got himself killed.

Not really know was it a good move but definitely worth a laugh LOL

This guide (together with KraftLawrence's article on having a plan) made an almost immediate impact on my game play.  Not saying I don't still potato often, but a little less often and a good amount more epic when I don't.

I'm starting to see how the game is going to flow during the countdown timer by what tanks the teams are populated with, and am better able to select a correct initial location.  I have some questions for everyone.

Forgive the lead in to this one.  I've read that expert chess players don't look at the board and see individual pieces.  They look at the board and see the relationships between the pieces of both sides in groups.  This is what I feel like I'm starting to be able to do.  I get that since I've started thinking this way, I'm going to get better at it the more I do it.  For those of you who see the match in that kind of light during the countdown - how often do you see a setup that you don't recognize or the pattern isn't immediately obvious?  And the follow up, what do you do in that situation?

Second, Garbad's article has me doing a lot more between shots that requires a closer focus on my immediate surroundings.  When you get into a local engagement and are focused on winning it, how important is it to keep an eye on the overall battle on the mini-map?  If you are sacrificing some of that time to making sure you're keeping an eye on the mini-map, do you scan the whole thing, or only focus on where you know the local engagements usually form on that particular map?

Second, Garbad's article has me doing a lot more between shots that requires a closer focus on my immediate surroundings.  When you get into a local engagement and are focused on winning it, how important is it to keep an eye on the overall battle on the mini-map?  If you are sacrificing some of that time to making sure you're keeping an eye on the mini-map, do you scan the whole thing, or only focus on where you know the local engagements usually form on that particular map?

QUick scans work best.  You want to know what is going on everywhere, but you can't lose sight of what's in front of you.  Eventually you learn little clues on what to pick up on from a quick minimap scan. 

Numbers, your team vs their team, is it even or is there an advantage one way? 

ank composition, do you have more heavies than them, but they've got more mediums and you're on sand river.  Could be both a vision and mobility loss for you.

Is your other flank falling/winning.  If it's falling, is it still saveable and can you flex, or is it saveable but you will lose your current flank if you move.   If it's saveable but you can't leave your flank, then do you need to get more aggressive on yours?  Is yours stalemated and can be solved by you going dark and flexing even to the other side of that rock?

Seems like a lot of info, but the processing of that information comes with experience

I've seen a lot of advice about being more effective by keeping your gun in the game/keeping it hot, etc which I completely understand.  I would say that one of the things keeping me from improving is finding the different methods for keeping your gun in the game that actually work for me.  I'm clearly not where I need to be so have been trying to keep my gun constantly firing more but could use some advice on how. 

What are your preferred methods for keeping your gun in the fight while being able to flex to appropriate positions for example?  And maybe it's that I'm taking this advice a bit too literally. 

Most options I tend to see are:

• push/brawl
  • flank
  • disappear then resume shooting

Maybe it's a problem of not pushing or flanking right as well.  Is there advice on "flank small" or "push minimally" that some of the better players can maybe attribute to how to do these things better or other options to consider to keep your gun in the game while responding to the situation in the game. 

To me, "keeping the gun hot" is less about firing the gun constantly and more about not hiding from a fight or moving between flanks unnecessarily. To repeatedly peek and shoot in the same area is suicidal; after someone gets hit and sees you shooting at them, they're going to try to counter your position or at least return fire. It's OK to move to re-engage the same target from another angle or hit one of his teammates.

What you don't want to do is abandon a flank when there's still work to do unless you're trying to reset the flag cap or somesuch. Kraft wrote a terrific article on that topic called "Understanding Game Flow". I definitely recommend reading it. My impression on the phrase "keep the gun hot" is that by making a bad return-to-base call and switching flanks too early means that you're taking your gun out of the fight and throwing away the local advantage your side has on that flank. On the way back to base, you're not firing a single shot and thus "letting the gun cool".

Kraft wrote a terrific article on that topic called "Understanding Game Flow". I definitely recommend reading it. 

+1 for the recommendation - was a good read. 

This was very helpful - some useful insights and comments. I think for me the challenge for me has been not pushing too aggressively and losing valuable HP early in a fight. trading shots isn't ok if I can see that I'm only 1 of 3 'ok' players on my team or top tier tank etc. Learning MT play as a HT player has been hard in this regard (as has moving to Russian tanks with crap gun depression :P).

Very interesting read, thank you :)

Holy shit that necro. :jebaited:

Gud taste in threads tho.