Sign in to follow this  
Pitch_Black

TD shooting lanes on Mountain Pass (south spawn)

4 posts in this topic

Alright tankers I've found that when I'm in a non-turreted TD on this map from the south spawn, that things don't go well.

-You can't get your gun in the fight on the ice road unless they've made it down and around the bend.

-You can't get your gun in the fight from the hill at the spawn unless they are already too close for comfort.

-You can't safely shoot into E3 without invariably getting lit by a medium/scout down in the river bottom

Is K5 the only viable shooting spot for a non-turreted TD?

MountainPassOverview.jpg

If you've got the speed you can possibly make H3.  Hug the hill and stay at the beginning of the slope to avoid artillery fire/E3 sniper fire.  I've had mixed results with that position.  Sometimes it gives the enemy enough pause that the rest of the team can push up and take the pressure off you.  However if that doesn't happen you're left high and dry in a no cover position as they push around on you. 

If I've got a TD with superior view range I usually try to harass and slow down the bridge, if you hide behind the rocks it gives you some cover and a nice hull down position, arty vulnerable though so sixth sense is a must.  Once spotted and the enemy pushes the bridge I'll attempt to pull back to G6 and continue to try to slow them down

G6 also offers a covered and camouflaged position to fire on J4 if the enemy starts pushing up, but it's tricky, If they push the bridge you'll take fire from both the front and the rear. 

Another decent firing position is in H9, but this ones highly dependent on what your team does.  If they lemming rush middle to the bridge or SW around the mountain and only you and one or two other tanks defend the 9 line is the time when this position is viable.  There's camo cover to the left just before you head down the hill, and in E9 there is a small embankment that allows the tank there to use the 50m auto spot on the corner.  In order for them to hit the spotting tank they must fully round the corner and move slightly forward to attempt a shot.  This opens them up for the spotter tank to fire, the TD to fire and if you have an artillery in 0 line to fire.  With the proper co-ordination 1 spotter, a TD and an arty can seriously slow down that flank. 

If you've got the speed you can possibly make H3.  Hug the hill and stay at the beginning of the slope to avoid artillery fire/E3 sniper fire.  I've had mixed results with that position.  Sometimes it gives the enemy enough pause that the rest of the team can push up and take the pressure off you.  However if that doesn't happen you're left high and dry in a no cover position as they push around on you. 

If I've got a TD with superior view range I usually try to harass and slow down the bridge, if you hide behind the rocks it gives you some cover and a nice hull down position, arty vulnerable though so sixth sense is a must.  Once spotted and the enemy pushes the bridge I'll attempt to pull back to G6 and continue to try to slow them down

G6 also offers a covered and camouflaged position to fire on J4 if the enemy starts pushing up, but it's tricky, If they push the bridge you'll take fire from both the front and the rear. 

Another decent firing position is in H9, but this ones highly dependent on what your team does.  If they lemming rush middle to the bridge or SW around the mountain and only you and one or two other tanks defend the 9 line is the time when this position is viable.  There's camo cover to the left just before you head down the hill, and in E9 there is a small embankment that allows the tank there to use the 50m auto spot on the corner.  In order for them to hit the spotting tank they must fully round the corner and move slightly forward to attempt a shot.  This opens them up for the spotter tank to fire, the TD to fire and if you have an artillery in 0 line to fire.  With the proper co-ordination 1 spotter, a TD and an arty can seriously slow down that flank. 

Von,

Awesome, and truthfully... I've never tried G6. I will next match.

G6, it's one of those "Going to go really well"  or "Going to blow up in a blaze of glory" positions.  If you've got fast movers on the enemy team that try to make a gambit and get around the hill down in K5, a tank in G6 is going to make a very bad day for them.  It offers fire before and after the hill so if you get them back there they're essentially pinned behind the mountain.  There's some camo cover, and small rocks that will hide a bit of the LFP on whatever tank you're using but not much more then that, so a tank with some decent superstructure armor is suggested.  But there is a section of large rock you can use to hide and break LOS to get rid of the spotting if you need to, not very arty safe though. 

Also it's not a spot to entrench yourself in.  It's good for dealing with a push, slowing down the enemy and throwing them off while the team regroups and starts pushing through the gap.  If you stay here too long and find the flank folding it can go badly rather quick.  First and foremost the rock will block your LOS into the basin and if a Turret strong enemy starts popping up there it's tough.  Add to that any enemy coming through the gap in J5 firing at you, plus any enemy that made it around the hill in the south firing at you. 

Still with good enough armor and some situational awareness you can be a real dug in PITA for an enemy team.  That is until someone get's mad enough to cross the center bridge after you, then you've got 3 angles in front and a rear attacker to worry about lol.

This is all assuming the south flank folds and the one or two that usually go middle fold and the Ice road is still going strong.  At least that's how I usually see the map play out. 

Sign in to follow this