Okeano

Lul the uproar over Coke commercial

121 posts in this topic

'merica, you gonna sing our song? Better do et in our broken engrish then.

I knew that was gonna happen while the commercial was running.

I think the comment was, "And all across the south, LCD glass shatters under the fury of a thousand Budweiser bottles."

Stay bad, rednecks.

I found it just a tad offensive, but my main annoyance with it is that the ad is stuck up its own ass.

I'll chime in as someone who didn't like it. It just doesn't make sense. If your point is that America is beautiful, then why celebrate that with languages that aren't spoken there? If your point is that everyone is beautiful, then why sing about America?

If your point is that America is beautiful, then why celebrate that with languages that aren't spoken there?

lol now the stupid is gonna overflow into this thread

/spectate on

The ad isn't necessarily celebrating other languages, its celebrating other cultures/nationalities. The different languages are supposed to convey that. Paying homage to the melting pot idea, I suppose.

A comment war based on speaking a language  of another country instead of other languages of other countries.  Amusing. 

For a nation made up of a whole lot of immigrants over the centuries, some people there sure like to hate on those "coming from outside". Seems weird to say the least.

I'll chime in as someone who didn't like it. It just doesn't make sense. If your point is that America is beautiful, then why celebrate that with languages that aren't spoken there?

I can probably hear all the languages in the video within a mile of where I currently am in philly, once you leave the rural areas you hear a bit more then english.  

That being said, coke has a long history of commercials irrelevant to their product, 

which is pretty common these days for whatever reason.  

The ad isn't necessarily celebrating other languages, its celebrating other cultures/nationalities. The different languages are supposed to convey that. Paying homage to the melting pot idea, I suppose.

What you talking about? There's 'murican culture and then there's the savages outside the border.

I was reading the comments in an article about this over on Huffington Post, most of you should know where that website stands politically. 

Anyway they seemed pretty mixed over hating Coke for being a giant evil baby killing corporation that just wants to sell its product and supporting them for this commercial. Comments on both sides are rather hilarious. 

I love our melting pot! We just need to start accepting and then embracing it...

I knew that was gonna happen while the commercial was running.

I think the comment was, "And all across the south, LCD glass shatters under the fury of a thousand Budweiser bottles."

Stay bad, rednecks.

As if the south has a monopoly on idiots/rednecks.

Having lived all over the US i can say, the biggest culture jagoffs generally reside in the North Central and North East of this country.  BUt again, they are everywhere.  Don't think just because you pay $15 for a glass of red that you are immune to being an a-hole.  You'll find just as many in that crowd too--they are just more closed mouthed about it.

I love our melting pot! We just need to start accepting and then embracing it...

I love this country too... but how's about all them immigrants realize this is 'Merica. We have certain requirements to become a citizen. Basic understanding of the English language is one of them. That’s one of the many things that separates the Federal Republic of the United States of America from all the shit third world countries who do not have a de facto national language. It’s a lot easier to get along with people, if ya know what they be speakin'....

So instead of accommodating everyone... how about they accept the rules of the land.

I love this country too... but how's about all them immigrants realize this is 'Merica. We have certain requirements to become a citizen. Basic understanding of the English language is one of them. That’s one of the many things that separates the Federal Republic of the United States of America from all the shit third world countries who do not have a de facto national language. It’s a lot easier to get along with people, if ya know what they be speakin'....

So instead of accommodating everyone... how about they accept the rules of the land.

What's that have to do with people getting butt hurt over a song sung by different language? Are you saying there are laws stating that no other language shall be ever spoken on the soil of US? This isn't about which language is or should be the main language of US, but the fact that people are so worked up over just the sight of a song in different language. I guess all foreign language class should be banned in the US, because you know, law of the land.