Sign in to follow this  
Dissidence

HALP! I can't fucking handle late nights.

30 posts in this topic

Specifically 1AM - 6AM eastern, on the east server.

Late nights have cost me my stats, as work forces me to play late.

I generally win 53-57% of my matches during day hours with about 1600 WN8, regardless of solo pub or platoon. But at night, this torpedoes to in the 44% range and 1100.

I have been tracking this for some time, and made the following observations during these hours:

-The overwhelming majority of players during these hours are orange and red. Yellows are rare, and greens are as hard to find as non platooned unicums. I am often the best player on my team. This is a typical team composition:

2lsb2x2.jpg

-The gameplay is beyond retarded. The majority of tanks, 2minutes into battle, will have barely moved out of base. Aggression and map control are unsupported, and tanks on both sides will often YOLO. Generally whichever team falls behind early loses the battle. Being in the front to force the outcome is disadvantageous as you will lack support and die, and be unable to do anything further.

-The majority of players are foreign. Many speak little to no English. There is no coordination OR communication. Even map pinging is minimal. Despite this, these players have thousands of battles and horrible stats.

-There are more idle/bot tanks. Makes sense given less people are on and bots are 24 hour occurrences, thus they'd be seen more frequently than during the day.

To those unfortunate souls who play during these hours: how do you deal with this? What possible strategy in the blue hell can counter this? Should I just sit at base like a useless baddy and use these fucktards as meatshields?

Oh, and fuck Komarin.

-Take a break.

-don't play after midnight.

-platoon, platoon, platoon.

hah!!! mate you wouldnt last 5 mins on SEA server, many say its potatoes normal time, but after 12am it goes full retart, just got to learn how to use team as meat shields and go for maximum damage,

I work from 4PM to 2AM 4 nights a week, so I often end up playing for a half hour to an hour when I first come home from work - or at least I used to.  I stopped because of the same situation Dissidence is talking about.  Tons of non English speakers from Central and South America plus various Asians ( some Chinese some Russian ) makes any type of teamwork pure luck.  People with good stats ( Blue/Greens) but no clan tags are pretty common.  They have nondescript names that can't be placed and never respond to comments, they just play like crap and die in the first 2 minutes.  Pretty sure they are some type of advanced bots that don't work with bad teams ....

Anyway, I stopped playing when I came home.  It killed me to build up a nice win rate during the three days I was off, only to see it all get flushed after two days of playing late nights.  Sorry to say it, but there are no cures for this other than playing high alpha TD's and camping like a total mook.  I have no interest in that, so I just stopped bothering with it.

Yup.  This is exactly when I play (West Aussie).  I play on NA West, which has the added fun of random MM brain farts due to low population.

Now, I'm not nearly good enough to carry a team of total donkeys to victory... unlike some impressive players.  Consequently, it can be reeeeally frustrating.

Like you said, the team that falls behind first usually loses.  So I'm trying to learn the "golden" initial spot(s) and area(s) on each map where I can make an early and significant contribution.  

However, when facing poorly skilled players, those spots can differ greatly from ones that work when facing good players.  An example...

In a TD, north spawn on Ensk.  If you head to that raised sniper nest at the top of the 1-line road...

...against a team of below average players, you'll have a steady stream of customers to wreck.  They will keep rounding that south corner, and will just fall out of the side-streets all day as that middle-west battle area progresses.

...against a team of good players, you'll likely sit there without targets, gathering cobwebs, contributing nothing.  And then it's essentially 14:15 in the initial stage of the battle.

What I'm saying is, there are spots that work incredibly well when it's Potato Hour.

In the end, it's easier to adjust your initial play to exploit the bad tactics of the enemy potatoes than it is to try to wring good tactics out of your own potatoes.  It's better for your sanity, too.

PS.  I'm no tank genius.  Put me on Airfield in an A-44 and I currently have no clear idea where I should go to really make a contribution.  None of this comes naturally to me - it's all rote-learned Pavlovian responses.  I'm just a trained dog.  Or primate.  :)

I had trouble with these donkey teams too, then you realise, what's the only consistent thing in these donkey teams? me.

What helped me was getting more sleep and drinking a lot more water, if you're a zombie when you log on guess how well you're going to play?

Other than that, constant map awareness, play OP tanks and play them to their strengths, quit when you potato twice in a row, use your pubbies as meatshields (when they're this bad there is generally very little you can do to help them) and save your health for the Kolobanov situation you'll more than likely be presented with at the end. Ocassionally make a play if you're 100% certain your pubbies will benefit from it.

-The majority of players are foreign. Many speak little to no English. There is no coordination OR communication. Even map pinging is minimal. Despite this, these players have thousands of battles and horrible stats.

Welcome to EU server.

Solution is to pay attention to the mm and if it places you as top tier or as low tier...usually it does this several times in a row before it switches again... at least that is my impression on how it works (works is perhaps a bit strong word to use? *grins*)

Solution is to try to match that with a tank that then (possibly) carry the "team"...or at least allow you to deal dmg and have some good laughs...

The EU server is the other way around, after 12PM the teams averages end up above 1500WN7 sometimes.

Yeah, but with 3 arties and 8 TDs per team, so much fun.

I truly believe there needs to be a Latin American server to get some of the late night trash off of NA, and the SEAsians...just wow at how terribad they are (late night players). Even on test server.

Specifically 1AM - 6AM eastern, on the east server.

-The gameplay is beyond retarded. The majority of tanks, 2minutes into battle, will have barely moved out of base. Aggression and map control are unsupported, and tanks on both sides will often YOLO. Generally whichever team falls behind early loses the battle. Being in the front to force the outcome is disadvantageous as you will lack support and die, and be unable to do anything further.

To those unfortunate souls who play during these hours: how do you deal with this? What possible strategy in the blue hell can counter this? Should I just sit at base like a useless baddy and use these fucktards as meatshields?

1am EST, the Witching Hour. It's very real. I've been tracking this for over a year. I'm on West coast but usually play on NA-East, and it's like running into a brick wall as soon as the clock strikes. Something *bad* happens to the servers at 1:01am - to the minute - and it's all losses for the next couple hours. The only non-tinfoil answer I could come up was that was when the bars started closing and all the drunks get home to play some tanks. You usually get about two hours of solid losses until they pass out and things start to get back to normal (towards 3am, or Midnight PST).

I've also been looking at the map trying to figure out what time zone would explain a huge surge of (bad) players all logging in at the same time.

(The tinfoil explanation is a glitch in the RNG generator. If the actual random number generator is seeded with a current timestamp, and there something wrong with the timestamp, I'm curious if the RNG will generate a continuous string of -25% battles for you for an entire hour until it starts receiving timestamps it likes again.)

9ac753df-0363-4a66-8270-9775e2cb5ef0_zps

The same thing happens on the SEA server normally at 10pm NZDT. Haven't done any research into why but everything goes to hell at 10pm like clockwork.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my overactive imagination? I do have to say that there are some nights when everything seems to be OK.

1am EST, the Witching Hour. It's very real. I've been tracking this for over a year. I'm on West coast but usually play on NA-East, and it's like running into a brick wall as soon as the clock strikes. Something *bad* happens to the servers at 1:01am - to the minute - and it's all losses for the next couple hours. The only non-tinfoil answer I could come up was that was when the bars started closing and all the drunks get home to play some tanks. You usually get about two hours of solid losses until they pass out and things start to get back to normal (towards 3am, or Midnight PST).

I've also been looking at the map trying to figure out what time zone would explain a huge surge of (bad) players all logging in at the same time.

(The tinfoil explanation is a glitch in the RNG generator. If the actual random number generator is seeded with a current timestamp, and there something wrong with the timestamp, I'm curious if the RNG will generate a continuous string of -25% battles for you for an entire hour until it starts receiving timestamps it likes again.)

"Picture"

Interesting to see the responses so far in this thread. I really thought it was me, or players playing differently, and TBH was mostly looking for tips from solopubbers who play during these hours for how they carry with the retard meta that comes out...but I find it VERY interesting that other players have experienced this phenomenon as well. TBH I didn't expect this many other players on NA to agree / have noticed the same thing. And I am taking heart that the majority of the advice seems to simply be not playing during these hours.

I have so far, 3 theories:

#1 - Given the recent FTR on botting, it also bears monitoring, if there really are that many bots, and most of them are online at night (since the general population decreases), perhaps that could explain something...perhaps the bots battle "logically" and thus an undpredictable human player would easily get caught in the gears and destroyed as a human's actions don't jive with the flow of the battle...causing that person to stick out like a sore thumb and the enemy to focus on them. This could also explain the phenomenon of blues, greens, and even purple players appearing to P0TAT0 often at night while bad players stay alive and decide the battle.

#2 - There really are masses of terribads that all hit battle and speak no English at the same time. They suck so much, and go to such random and stupid places, that conventional map control is pointless as taking "key" positions yields nothing of value since your pubs won't take advantage of it, and you'll be alone in trying to exploit your position while the baddies on the other side are not deterred by this, even though you have terrain in your favor, and continue pushing. With no support, and a horde of enemies coming, you quickly die. You basically need devastating alpha damage or armor to carry, as other tools such as mobility and vision are negated.

#3 - some combination of 1 and 2.

Today I took the first step. Even though I didn't play particularly well tonight (although I did have a carry hard game in my IS-7...wound up with 5 kills, could have had 8, and SHOULD have had 6 except for an artyfag clicker that finished off a <100 HP arty as my shell was loaded and the breach was closing), I logged off before 12:30AM EST and avoided the hordes. The end result was 5 wins in 8 battles, which I'll take, despite the poor WN8 of ~1450.

I am kind of in a dilemma with something similar.

I find that between 6am and 9am EST to be the best time to play NA East for me.

Between 12Mid and 6am is usually rough.

You get on one of those teams that has a platoon with someone like Rexxie and Ziddy on it(no offense intended) as well as a few blues and greens, and they gobble up damage like a fat lady eating Kisses at the Hershey factory.  You generally get the "W" but are lucky to get your tanks HP in damage.

Now cycle to -  I'm on a team where I am one of the 3 best or the best player on the the team and/or I am in the bottom tier or a very slow tank that is hard to carry in.  The lemming train runs off like the paste eating retards that they are despite my advice like "stay outta the woods" in Murovanka for example, and 2/3 of the team is dead by the 13 minute mark.  I get a lot of damage, but its empty damage as I'm simply fighting for my life to the last end.  Maybe I'm in a tank like a Hellcat or a T49 and I really sting them hard from a good spot, but they still get me.  I can rack up some good damage totals but still lose.

You really have to carry hard in games like this and do it consistantly to get a high WR and WN8.  WN8 is based on damage and adjusted for the tier you are in compared to the tier of the enemies you damage and kill.  It also accounts for the average damage that most players get while in that tank.  3K DPG may be awesome in a Hellcat. while only being average in an WTF E100.

I dunno 2-3 months ago when I was playing a lot at those times (mostly duo platooning with Kalti) I found it much easier to win because of all the retards. I can imagine it being a LOT harder solo though.

Maybe play on the weekends/when you don't have work and it's not a late night? Unless if the latter is very rare...

Due to work, I start playing @around 12:00 midnight MST on NA east.  I only solo because I don't have much fun platooning and nobody wants to anyway.  I just don't even try West anymore, the population is just too low and I keep getting bottom tier in a sea of red. 

By 2:00 AM MST I tend to give up on East.  Basically, once the population drops below 10,000 the matches just get too miserable.  The other quit trigger is the chat turning to Cyrillic characters, other eastern European languages and Spanish.  I am assuming that the language change indicates it is early morning in those countries and the kids are on.  I have been assuming the Spanish I am seeing is not from the America's but rather from Spain, the Azores, wherever.

I try to convince the team to stay out of the valley on Lakeview, and to not push/camp north on Redshire with mixed but generally unfavorable results.  I have seen some pretty amazing blobs camp the magic forest on Murovanka or wander off to die in the wilderness on Karelia.  On the rare night I try to use my scouts those blobs are populated by people, and presumably bots, in Tier 8,  9, and 10 tanks.

Once in a while there will be a purple (recent) player on my team ( never a name I recognize) and I will try to support them.  Often it ends badly. 

A good match is when I get a predominantly yellow team with some greens and the odd blue thrown in.  I play my T34-85, IS-6, and right now - T18 pretty much exclusively.  Just lately I have been shooting almost 100% gold ammo (except in the T18 due to - well - paper tanks)  because: a) I'm not very good and b) I therefore cannot afford a bounce.  I suck  but I still get 3, 5,and 6 kill games and often wind up in the top three on my team for XP and damage.  T34-85 can be a game changer because it is really flexible, fast enough to make a surprise move to change the momentum and can make kills.

I'm in the same boat.  Even my usual fun tanks that I can carry with by utilizing damage haven't been fun.  6k damage games in my Ferdi, Jagdpanther II or Borsig still netting me losses.  Then I finally get on a good team?  Highest damage is 2k for me and 3 or 4 others on my team.   Becoming beyond frustrating and has actually had me questioning my playstyle as of late, am I doing something differently, how come this isn't working the same, it's worked for me so many times in the past?  Etc etc.  

Between that and some of the players I've been running into lately...  Last night on Malinovka for instance x2 E75's constantly bumping and pushing me from a sniper position in my Obj. 704 in a Tier 9 game.  T71's hiding behind my Borsig, or the best T57 heavy ever hiding behind behind my WTF100.  Normally I could care less but he shadowed me in the end game as I got agressive on the last few tanks and insisted on parking behind me each time I tried to reverse to cover to reload. 

It's actually getting so bad I'm contemplating platooning.  And this coming from soemone who almost always runs solo :(

Not sure if anyone else has recommended it but if your ping is manageable then head over the NA West. 

I see the drop off between midnight-3 (never go past 3).  I will say I carry more games then I normally would but winning is hit/miss because when I potato the rest of the team just drives off a cliff.  Also when I see a unicum toon on my side or the other side I drop down tiers rather than continue my grinds.  Any uni-toon can farm nearly infinite wins/damage that time of night.

Not sure if anyone else has recommended it but if your ping is manageable then head over the NA West. 

I see the drop off between midnight-3 (never go past 3).  I will say I carry more games then I normally would but winning is hit/miss because when I potato the rest of the team just drives off a cliff.  Also when I see a unicum toon on my side or the other side I drop down tiers rather than continue my grinds.  Any uni-toon can farm nearly infinite wins/damage that time of night.

I will admit to having some good runs on West, but usually the team melts in 1-2 minutes resulting in me getting swarmed.  Those losses can be completely useless as I don't even get to farm damage.  And, as you said, if I potato the rest of the team does nothing.  i have had far, far too many games where i potato in the first minute with 300 damage and  still wind up in the top 3 at the end of the game.   Generally, playing west at these hours (12-2 AM MST) results in bot-like win rates for me. 

I think part of the problem is that so many higher tier heavies now have completely useless players/bots at the controls.  Too much of the team's firepower is therefore essentially out of the game.  In enough games the effect should be equally distributed between the two teams so I see this as pointing to me as being unable to carry by myself - that I need a few other players to generate kills or delay a flank for me to win.

Welcome to my world friend. I live in Sydney, Australia, so this is basically my playing time during the week. Platoons are hard to find because my Clan is mostly NA based, and WotLabs platoons are hard to find because I'm a 53% scrub.

I don't really have a solution other than playing as smartly as possible, and I try and stay away from tier 8-10 (not including pref 8s) during those hours because the player base is so horrible that tier X games are a total crapshoot, and because the population is so low, your chances getting a tier 8 match are almost non existant.

So, I'll play my SU-85B, T1 Heavy, Hellcat, and SU-122-44 or whatever other tank line I'm grinding mostly during that period.

On the off chance I can find a platoon, life gets much much better.

So that being said, look for me in game at that time period and we can hold the barbarians at the gate together!

Barbarians have won this one. I was managing 18/30 before the Witching Hour, 0/7 after. The one time I get a purple platoon on my side, we're rolled up and wiped out. The Caernarvon went 2/11 trying to unlock that last gun - with a mastery badge on a defeat - so the rest of that mission can just bugger off. 

Never play after dark.

Checking the time zones really i don't see how there would be more LA players late at night in NA east than between the 6 pm -12 am period. I think it's just that as with every online game there is, the same moment someone says somthing in another language automatically they suck.

I'm not critizicing the english speaking countries though, i remeber that most of the servers on which i played (CS, TF2, BF 2142, BC2, etc.) got you auto-banned if you spoke/wrote in portuguese (and even though the server stated this more often than not you had to go out of your way to find them) and if you weren't banned/punished most of the players started verbally assaulting you. 

Sign in to follow this