Rexxie

T28 "Appreciation" Thread

154 posts in this topic

I can't figure out how to use the T28. I have massive problems with the mobility/agility, I don't find the armor to be all that impressive, and the gun isn't great enough to manhandle people outside of my tier.

The problems seem almost innumerable... for a tank that has given up (almost) everything for its armor, the armor isn't very good. You've got a 200mm glacis, 250mm superstructure, and ~150mm cupolas. It's low to the ground, so many heavies simply can ignore the armor in close combat. The side and back armor is basically nonexistent, and the completely flat roof means a SPG that lands a shell anywhere other than the frontal armor is very likely to pen.

It doesn't have much HP, so using the armor it does have is never safe. It turns like a log, so if anything even remotely mobile gets close to you, you're likely to be hugged. And to top it all off, it's a tank that relies on DPM instead of alpha, so somehow you have to keep people in front of your immobile 120mm without them simply buggering off and leaving you to rot. Did I mention this thing moves at 15km/h?

So... yeah. Am I just looking at a bad tank, or is there really a way to make this work? I sure as hell could make the T28 Prototype work, I can't believe how much harder this is.

(also, my T28 stats are from shortly after release, so don't bother with those)

I can't figure out how to use the T28. 

You sell it.

You should have tried actually turning it like a log by rolling the whole tank around to its side. Im sure its an ok tank.

The RoF is great.

It's not a bad tank, it's just too slow to carry tomatoes with.

That said, T28 and the Prot. are both no longer in my garage.

I'm looking forward to the T-28 Prot.  Am I to take it that I shouldn't be?

I have heard that it is a terrible grind. Thats why I am going no further than the hellcat

Only tank I've rage sold.

Only tank I've rage sold.

I rage sold the AMX 38. I played 2 games in it and this is how they went.

1: Fired 1 shot then got ammo racked.

2: Had hardly left my spawn when a Pz1C came charging into our spawn and sprayed me a couple times, I took about 20hp in damage but both crew members were killed.

= Sold

The problems seem almost innumerable... for a tank that has given up (almost) everything for its armor, the armor isn't very good. You've got a 200mm glacis, 250mm superstructure, and ~150mm cupolas.

Superstructure is actually only 203mm thick.  (Albeit, somewhat sloped)

The "254mm" the stats point out only applies to the tiny portion behind the mantlet.

qqbf6f.jpg

(Image from WoT Tank Viewer)

Laurys' post enforces that the T28 Prot is pretty much a better T28. The armor is the same (if not better) and you have a turret, more view range, and actual gun depression.

I dont think I could say you should look forward to it, but it was a bearable grind for me. Good gun on a turreted, armored platform.

2: Had hardly left my spawn when a Pz1C came charging into our spawn and sprayed me a couple times, I took about 20hp in damage but both crew members were killed.

= Sold

Really?  A unicum-caliber player rage-sold a tier 3 after two games?

Makes me feel better about rage-not-playing-any-more my AMX 12t. . .

That said, I found the AMX 38 miserable and the AMX 40 merely tolerable (It's like the Matilda, but slightly worse in every category but alpha), but the AMX ELC made it all worth it.  Power/weight greater than 30, 240 dam/160 pen top gun and small enough to be nearly invisible. . . the ELC's probably the funnest tank in the game, IMO. 

Back to the topic of the T28. I don't have it, but I would say find a nice narrow choke point and sit there.

I would kind of like the T110E3 someday, but not sure if I can handle the T28 and T95 grind. Might just give up after finishing the T25 AT (which isn't awful).

So much slow.

Just bought the T28 (cuz I too would like an E3), and it's not bad, although the armor is definitely unreliable against any good 8 with a good gun, and not good vs. anything higher, and arty is a constant threat. Still running the 105 (with almost exclusively gold except when something I can pen without RNG from range comes along since I stay back to snipe with it)...I don't have enough free XP, and what little I have is going towards de-stocking the T-54 when I buy it)

I can say that I understand why a lot of people don't like it as it sorely lacks flexibility to adjust to changing battlefield conditions, so deployment is critical. I do plan to grind it, and the 95, however. The 95 I will probably keep (troll armor), the 28 I'm going to play so I'm better at the 95 when I get it.

Back to the topic of the T28. I don't have it, but I would say find a nice narrow choke point and sit there.

And then you rage as a same tier medium tank loads gold shells, negating your armor advantage and turning you into a flaming wreck without even trying to flank.

Honestly, the AT 15 is better at holding choke points. At least it can permatrack people, isn't likely to ever be 1-shotted, is hard to flank, and has oodles more HP and side armor. With more DPM... and twice the speed... and a far more reliable weapon...

Wait, what's the point of the T28 again?

= Sold

I'm glad you brought this up. The AMX 38 is the most useless, and terrible tank in the game. It lacks the speed to be anything but a pillbox, the gun is terrible as most tier 2's have better guns (even giving it the D2 gun would be a huge improvement), and the armor while it's only strong point, is extremely unreliable and the mobility leaves it prone to being flanked. The tank is slow and therefore late to the fight, and easily circled to death.

I played 16 battles born in hell with it, with 4 wins, and a negative wn7 borne mostly out of frustration that I only wanted to suicide because it would bring sweet relief...after all is it really noob rushing if I don't die until 3 minutes in cuz that's how long it takes to get to an actual enemy? (yay being a baddy 6k battles ago!).

Having played both, the AMX40 is a significantly less useless tank, and can carry a match when top tier provided it has the top gun.

But back to the T28, I've decided to stop playing it until I can free XP the gun. Unfortunately I'm going up a lot of lines at once (grinding Ferdi, SU-152, T28, E-75, T-44, and want to buy the M46 Patton at some point) and I need all the free XP I can get, so it ranks somewhere behind the free XP I need for the E-100 gun once I unlock it. The tank's armor is decent, and the gun depression is above average, but the 105 is downright unplayable on it (I really don't like the American 105 anyway). Even spamming gold it's downright unreliable. Had a shot RNG in such a way off the side of a T69 that it bounced :#. I'm looking forward to trying it on more city maps when I revive the grind, as trying to play it on Westfield, which I've gotten seemingly half the time since I bought it, is a frustrating exercise.

Run 100 Octane, if you get lit on fire you are already toast(or you got hit on the roof by arty), but it will help with mobility.  Angle a little in between shots, be careful as your sides are like paper/cardboard and the rounded/sloped area to the sides on the front becomes more flat, but it will prevent easy pen shots through your lower hull.  Stay in cover/camo and second line to maximize your ability to deal damage and not worry about taking any.  I finished this grind prior to premium rounds for credits, so it might be a little less effective now than back then, but I still think it is workable. 

The mobility really sucks when you have a good team that rolls the enemy, sometimes you won't make it to the battle in time to do any damage, but you have to get used to that if you are going to be able to deal with the T95, which gets a lot of hate, but I loved mine.

BTW I was lucky enough to have the gun researched from owning the T30 when the tech tree split, but the 105mm is still pretty workable.  With sprem available you should be fine and hopefully you won't see a ton of tier X battles.

I like my Proto.  But I free'd the final gun so I didn't have to grind for the blasted thing.  Good RoF, Decent accuracy and the turret allows more flexability than does the T28.

I'm actually grinding my T28 also. My initial stats on it are horrid just like your's due to not having it fully upgraded and being bad in general. Now that it's fully upgraded and I actually play with a platoon, it's semi-bearable. On most maps I pretty much camp at base because I am too lazy to try and actively move into a new location with that speed. I feel like it's a tank that cannot make a difference in a game unless the teams you face are really bad and make a lot of mistakes. 

As you said, armor is non-existent due to the access to gold....who am I kidding, just shoot at the massive lower plate which is oh so easy to pen. But mainly the speed, you can't relocate or flank so you are a useless brick that really can't take any hits but do decent damage. My stats have dropped quite steeply the past few days due to playing this tank. It's frustrating because you can't do anything. Only reason I am even grinding through it is that I want the E3 and playing in a platoon alleviates some of the problems with this tank. 

I'm actually grinding my T28 also. My initial stats on it are horrid just like your's due to not having it fully upgraded and being bad in general. Now that it's fully upgraded and I actually play with a platoon, it's semi-bearable. On most maps I pretty much camp at base because I am too lazy to try and actively move into a new location with that speed. I feel like it's a tank that cannot make a difference in a game unless the teams you face are really bad and make a lot of mistakes. 

As you said, armor is non-existent due to the access to gold....who am I kidding, just shoot at the massive lower plate which is oh so easy to pen. But mainly the speed, you can't relocate or flank so you are a useless brick that really can't take any hits but do decent damage. My stats have dropped quite steeply the past few days due to playing this tank. It's frustrating because you can't do anything. Only reason I am even grinding through it is that I want the E3 and playing in a platoon alleviates some of the problems with this tank. 

Yeah it's hurting my stats too. I just tried to passive scout with it on Campinovka, did some decent spotting damage, then I go to fire my gun, bounce off a batchat and a 54e1, and get WTF'd in about 3 seconds by autoloaders.

The armor (lower plate esp) needs a serious buff.

Ran the "all gamers" on tank tracker for tier 8 TD's and look what came up:

41% overall? I don't know what the timeframe is for this, but it would seem to need a serious buff

ej8qgw.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I'm part way through the grind on the T28 Proto and holy crap this tank is bad.

Actually, the gun on it is great.  Nice DPM and good penetration to boot.

Everything else about the tank is bad though.  It moves at the speed of a tired turtle.  Its sides and rear are paper and its frontal armor is not that great.  203 mm that is not very armored.  That means that same tier heavies with 225 penetration will pen you front hull at least half the time if they are shooting regular rounds.  And you can't even angle because your side armor is so terrible.

This tank can actual be good in a very limited set of circumstances (mostly involving bad pubs on the other team).  However these circumstances are rare and most of the time this tank is just a turd.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm part way through the grind on the T28 Proto and holy crap this tank is bad.

Actually, the gun on it is great.  Nice DPM and good penetration to boot.

Everything else about the tank is bad though.  It moves at the speed of a tired turtle.  Its sides and rear are paper and its frontal armor is not that great.  203 mm that is not very armored.  That means that same tier heavies with 225 penetration will pen you front hull at least half the time if they are shooting regular rounds.  And you can't even angle because your side armor is so terrible.

This tank can actual be good in a very limited set of circumstances (mostly involving bad pubs on the other team).  However these circumstances are rare and most of the time this tank is just a turd.

It was the first tank I ever rage sold, and when Carbon posted a pic of a T28 proto with like 2.8k dpg well...