Valachio

WZ-120

145 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2017 at 1:13 PM, ComradeHX said:

Seems like a viable choice now with the Swedish TDs(especially the tier X one).

I 3 marked it this week,  although the meatball TDs had little to do with it.  I was running with @TheDivision and @1stTanks in the ST-I and T-10 respectively and just wanted to have another 122mm gun in the platoon for balance. The little extra camo helped to.  Plus its cheap and hipster as Rexxie notes below. 

On 7/31/2016 at 7:42 AM, Rexxie said:

Just finished up this grind today. I keep wavering between "this feels pretty average" and "this is bad". I'm leaning towards it being bad.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is just how damn good T9 meds' guns are. The Patton, E-50, PTA, Type 61, T-54, T-55, 430 II, and Skoda all exist here. When you say "the 122mm makes the WZ good", you need to really think about whether the 122mm is even average in a tier like this. I'd go as far as to say the 122 is one of the worst parts of the WZ-120 and has actively contributed to the tank having the lowest winrate in class. I can look past that the platform is a larger, less armored, slower, clumsy T-54. I can look past the depressing depression. What I can't look past is that this is a tank that trades all these traits away to get a gun that's not even average.

I sort of understand its cult following - it's very cheap to play, hipster, can always at least attempt to contribute to a match, and it feels nice to connect a 500 damage shot. I'd like to suggest two vastly superior tanks, though. If you're willing to play something not at all hipster, play the T-10. It's a WZ-120 that's better in virtually every way and is even less expensive to run since it rarely misses. The other tank is quite a bit different, but also itches that hipster, cheap-to-play, high pen, high alpha itch - the PTA.

The T-10 really is much better.  I'm working on getting a PTA as a nice cheap alternative for when a platoon needs a scouty regular fire medium to round things out. 

I'm enjoying the PTA. Probably the scoutiest of mediums. Not quite a WZ132 at tier 9 but if you try to gapfill for tard scouts it works. And the L7 is boss...

WOW, this tank is complete trash to grind. Worst stock grind of any T9 I've experienced. Was excited to unlock it after the scout, which worked well for me. Essentially it's a Type 59 without the pref match making or credit earning that is guaranteed to see at least 9s, while it can't pen half of Tier 8s, like Patriot, Defender, Liberte, or even IS6. This tank is border line unplayable stock. It got power creeped HARD with all the new shit that was added since the Chinese meds. I had 62% on the 132 as far as WR, but I'm sitting at about 30% after 40 games in this pile of trash with around the same DPG. Here's my experience thus far:

Fully stock: useless, waste of a T9 slot. Same alpha and DPM as the scout, minus the gun handling, speed or camo and a tier higher. Can't hit anything, and if you do, it will bounce. F- all around. 

2nd gun, tracks and turret: Can finally hit stuff, but still can't pen anything except scouts and soft TDs. Started seeing games above 2k dmg on occasion, but still can't impact the battle. Resort to scouting and harassing lone baddies. Can't even entertain idea of damaging T10/T9 heavies. 

My thoughts at this point is not to reward WG for making tanks unplayable by throwing gold at it, but i don't want to lose another 1% of my WR because of this horrible grind either. Giving up and leaving it for occasional doubles, possibly running with a strong platoon. No solo, it's too painful. The next two guns are 59k each, plus there's two engines. Probably going to skip everything after this and just focus on the 180k for 121 to get it over with.

Is there any point in getting the top 100 or either engine? I don't get how they call a tank the "WZ-120" then give it two of the worst 100mm guns in the game at tier 9. The only explanation is they want people to suffer, realize how utterly horrible it is and spend money. I don't respect strategy like this from an entertainment company. The first two 100mm shouldn't exist on it, and I am 100% sure they know it. 

On 12/8/2016 at 2:04 PM, Dauntless said:

The wz-120 is one of my favorite tier 9 tanks :)

Nice game. What you all fail to mention is that to get it to that "big bite" stage that makes up for the flaws you need ~180k XP extra past the 121 worth of guns and engines, at which rate you could just unlock the 121. I really don't understand why they did it this way. Basically to enjoy the WZ 120 you have to dedicate yourself to it, rather than unlocking the next tier which really makes no sense. Both things should happen simultaneously. With the fact that this tank is borderline unplayable in stock form at this tier going unmentioned by people like you who make otherwise very informative and interesting videos, probably encourages WG to keep this shit up, and certainly does a disservice to players like me - who are excited to get it and unprepared for the inevitable disappointment after realizing how many worthless games you need to get through before it becomes competitive or even useful. 

Good videos meant to be a review really need to address the grind, not just the top config. Perhaps you were lucky enough to skip everything and have no idea how bad it is out of the box, however most players will have to take the long way. We need to expose this dirty trick that WG uses far too often, of punishing players with crippling modules and letting them pay their way out of it or suffer. I care about this game and I want WG to do well long term - this is short sighted and isn't as good for business as making a properly though out sequence of upgrades. 

@GotTank You just grind the lights (to unlock the 2nd 100mm)  and then the heavies (to unlock the 120mm), and then its not so bad :serb:

2 hours ago, GotTank said:

you need ~180k XP extra past the 121 worth of guns and engines, at which rate you could just unlock the 121. I really don't understand why they did it this way. Basically to enjoy the WZ 120 you have to dedicate yourself to it, rather than unlocking the next tier which really makes no sense.

When I looked at the grind; most players approach the WZ-120 by (more or less) simultaneously grinding the heavy and medium lines (need a crew right? cause your likely keeping a tank from the light line) Quite a few Chinese modules can be researched through other lines and you then never have to play the Stock WZ-120 (and as we all know stock T9 grinds are painful).  I hoard free xp for T9 grinds so if I chose to approach the WZ-120 from the from the light line I would have already banked a goodly amount.

So whether you grind modules on the WZ-120 or on other tank lines; so many modules are cross compatible you dont really lose.

Tier 7 Tier 8 Tier 9 Tier 7 Tier 8 Tier 7 Tier 8
WZ-120 IS2 110 WZ-111 1-4 T-34-1 T-34-2 WZ-131 WZ-132

Guns              
100 mm 59-100T         X   **
100 mm 60-100T             **
100 mm 62-100T   X X        
122 mm 60-122T              

Engine              
12150L X X X X X    
12150LS X X X   X    
12150LT     X        

Radio              
A-220 X X X X X X X
A-220A   X X X X X X

** Tanks.gg seems to indicate the WZ-132 Guns are no longer the same as the WZ-120 (100 mm 59-100TA, 100 mm 60-100TA)

On 7/14/2017 at 0:32 PM, CraBeatOff said:

@GotTank You just grind the lights (to unlock the 2nd 100mm)  and then the heavies (to unlock the 120mm), and then its not so bad :serb:

Oh man I wish I had the 122 unlocked! I'm not even close on the heavies, and I'm not sure that still works anyway. Apparently the gun from the scout doesn't carry over any more. If i had to do it again I'd have done heavies at the same time or a bit sooner... 

I came here to read about this tank, b/c I saw the latest on-track missions, and I thought, I love Chinese scouts (the ones I've played, that is), I could maybe do that.  Then I read this thread and thought, oh gawd, eff that.

Was about to buy this tank this week end with the sale. This tank seems to me like it's a hit or miss. You either love it or hate it with a passion. 

Lucky me I have engine and gun unlock from the other branches. Just need the turret and tracks. Have people kepts this tank ? Is it still any good ? 

21 minutes ago, DHP said:

Was about to buy this tank this week end with the sale. This tank seems to me like it's a hit or miss. You either love it or hate it with a passion. 

Lucky me I have engine and gun unlock from the other branches. Just need the turret and tracks. Have people kepts this tank ? Is it still any good ? 

It is more of a miss. At least, its gun is. If you get what I mean.

Bought this yesterday and grinded almost 50k XP at one sitting. Big alpha and good penetration feels quite enjoyable after playing for weeks almost purely the scout line. Aim Time is obviously painfully slow, but the gun feels a lot more reliable and enjoyable than the 100mm on WZ-132A, which I'm already hating after 76 games.

I free XPd the tracks and the turret. Probably the best way to spend 50k free XP in this game.

Apparently this will get a nerf in 9.21. Yes, a nerf. To one of the few strengths it had remaining, its turret. The turret face got butchered, and it now has tiny weak zones jutting out of its UFP as if its hull wasnt trash enough.

2 hours ago, lavawing said:

Apparently this will get a nerf in 9.21. Yes, a nerf. To one of the few strengths it had remaining, its turret. The turret face got butchered, and it now has tiny weak zones jutting out of its UFP as if its hull wasnt trash enough.

Best i could find was https://ritastatusreport.live/2017/11/13/9-21-armor-changes-in-the-hd-move-pt-3/#jp-carousel-51430

Doesn't look massively different. A couple bits better even (next to top of mantlet). 

7 hours ago, Ezz said:

Best i could find was https://ritastatusreport.live/2017/11/13/9-21-armor-changes-in-the-hd-move-pt-3/#jp-carousel-51430

Doesn't look massively different. A couple bits better even (next to top of mantlet). 

Before and after

https://tanks.gg/tank/wz-120/model?vm=live

https://tanks.gg/v0921ct/tank/wz-120/model?vm=live

I see what you mean. Ouch. To be fair i've shifted away from playing it but i'm thinking that crew might have to go back into the 121.

Everyone uses the 122mm gun on it? I checked it on tanks.gg and it seems to me that the 100mm and 122mm gun has the same softstats. Is this a bug or a nice joke from WG?

The depression is a bit depressing, but other than that its a nice tanku. Instead of pew-pew it goes like PEW       PEW.

58 minutes ago, TAdoo87 said:

Everyone uses the 122mm gun on it? I checked it on tanks.gg and it seems to me that the 100mm and 122mm gun has the same softstats. Is this a bug or a nice joke from WG?

The depression is a bit depressing, but other than that its a nice tanku. Instead of pew-pew it goes like PEW       PEW.

Yeah, if you run the 100 you end up with a gimped T-54/55. 

11 minutes ago, sr360 said:

Yeah, if you run the 100 you end up with a gimped T-54/55. 

Without the HEAT it is a no go for me.

Ticketed it back as a farewell to the NA pawnshoo gift to myself. Feels like a 3/5/7 winner to me. Bullies 7s with armor, bullies everything else with alpha and pen. Far better than the 132A i took the crew from. It's still right between the T-10 and PTA but because of the MM shifts I'm not sure this is a problem.

12 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Ticketed it back as a farewell to the NA pawnshoo gift to myself. Feels like a 3/5/7 winner to me. Bullies 7s with armor, bullies everything else with alpha and pen. Far better than the 132A i took the crew from. It's still right between the T-10 and PTA but because of the MM shifts I'm not sure this is a problem.

That's good to hear, I put it away about the time I unlocked the top gun because I never had much fun (or success).  As I am about 3/4 of the way through the WZ-132A grind its becoming more manageable and comfortable so hopefully I can translate that over.