Valachio

WZ-120

146 posts in this topic

Despite the fact that this tank is a piece of shit, it is actually pretty good.

Mobility is the main strength of this tank, you will be able to speed up to 30-40 km/h almost instantly and go up to 56 km/h and hold that speed as long as you're going on flat ground.  The mobility allows for drive by shotgunning, ability to zoom past and put a 440 damage shell into the enemy and run away before the enemy even realizes what's going on.  Provided that you have to time the shot perfectly or the horrible gun control and the lack of depression WILL fuck you up. (WZ-120's mobility = OP)

Gun is both a strength and a HUGE weakness.  Extremely high AP penetration allows you to save money by not having to spamming HEAT and the ability to fire HEAT allows for great opportunities such as trolling E-100's turret cheeks.  The gun control is absolutely horrid for a tier 9 tank.  You cannot shoot on the move, you cannot snapshot, you can expect a 50% miss chance at any target 200m+ unless you are willing to stand still and aim for 5 seconds (and a lot of the times you will still miss after aiming 5 seconds).  Seriously the gun control is so frustrating for a tier 9 medium tank, it is so fucking annoying.  (WZ-120's gun = not really OP)

I'm going to make a separate paragraph discussing the depression of the gun because it is basically the factor that can kill this tank for many people.  Using this tank's gun requires A LOT of patience, you cannot expect to make a lot of shots and at close range, you won't be able to aim into the lower plate of some tanks like the IS-8.  The worse thing you can possibly do is to expose your entire tank, showing your worthless hull armor, and then take a shot at the enemy.  Most of the cases, by the time this happens, you would've already lost half your hp to enemy return fire.  You have to work the terrain until you can have that shot at your enemy preferably only exposing a tiny bit of your hull armor.  Playing this tank requires a lot of experience with terrain and you have to understand that on some maps you are basically worthless until the later stages of the game where you can hunt down enemies or defend an enemy attack from a position that does not require depression. (e.g. Sand River, Prokhorovka, etc.)

Armor is crap.  Turret is pretty good from the front, cupolas are a bit too big and flat but they're alright.  Turret cheeks feels like they're more easily penned than T-54's turret cheeks.  Hull armor is the same as Type 59's and at tier 9 it is worthless unless you can put it at an autobounce angle.  (WZ-120's armor = crappy)

Honestly I do kind of enjoy this tank but it gets really frustrating sometimes, currently getting a 95% win rate and 3.3k DPG over 25 battles but this figure is likely to change.  I feel like the WZ-111 1-4 does everything better than the WZ-120.  Just remember the main strength of the WZ-120 is great mobility/agility + high alpha and penetration.  Patience is key

NEW VIDEO REVIEW JUST OUT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWK0an5L7nU

Great insight in the tank, I really enjoy playing it when gun doesnt troll me too hard but I have to say that extremly low despression is really annoying when I can aim at enemy lower plates in CQ. On bright side it at least learns me how to effectivly use terrain so thats nice thing I guess.

Still makes me grin when I put 500+ dmg roll in enemy side and just roll out to attack from another angle. Fun times when it works.

Is the tank similar to the T-34-3 in its play style? I have the T-34-3, I really do enjoy it, and am going up the scout line and plan on getting the wz120 sometime and was wondering if the two were similar. 

Is the tank similar to the T-34-3 in its play style? I have the T-34-3, I really do enjoy it, and am going up the scout line and plan on getting the wz120 sometime and was wondering if the two were similar. 

It is basically a T-34-3 at tier 9.  Literally there is almost no difference between the 2 tanks when you compare them tier by tier\

Except for maybe the penetration advantage of the WZ-120...

Do you think the line up until this has been good? Major differences between the rest of the line and this, play style wise(Aside the bigger gun)?

There's a lot of competition at tier 9 in terms of mediums. There's the T54e1 which has great dmg potential, the t54 which is great for carrying and scout work, and the e50 which is a joy to snipe and take hits with. I have the WZ 111 1-4 as well but I find it hard to leverage the great firepower with such weak armor.

Do you think that the WZ 120 is worth keeping in garage or is it something you would sell after you are done for the 121?

Do you think the line up until this has been good? Major differences between the rest of the line and this, play style wise(Aside the bigger gun)?

No the line has been horrible, Type T-34, Type 58, T-34-1, T-34-2, did not enjoy any of them.  I feel like the Chinese medium line is filled with tanks that will frustrate you a lot because of a certain weakness it has

There's a lot of competition at tier 9 in terms of mediums. There's the T54e1 which has great dmg potential, the t54 which is great for carrying and scout work, and the e50 which is a joy to snipe and take hits with. I have the WZ 111 1-4 as well but I find it hard to leverage the great firepower with such weak armor.

Do you think that the WZ 120 is worth keeping in garage or is it something you would sell after you are done for the 121?

WZ-120 is shit comapred to E-50 or T-54 or T54E1 except for the fact that WZ-120 doesn't really have to fire gold while the T-54, E-50, T54E1 absolutely have to

I love dis tank

better than t54

I did too. Wait for the 121. Just got it and WOW. 8.1 second reload with BIA

Very close to unlocking this tank by way of the WZ-132 and I've played quite a few games in the T-34-3. I really want to get a CW-viable tier 10 so I know I shouldn't focus on the Chinese meds, but it's very tempting to chase the 121 anyway.

Valachio, what skills would you recommend for a 1.7 skill crew? I'm thinking:

• Commander: sixth, repairs @ 65%
  • Others: repairs, camo @ 65%

On the other hand, the WZ-120 could also use some gunnery skills on that second skill.

Very close to unlocking this tank by way of the WZ-132 and I've played quite a few games in the T-34-3. I really want to get a CW-viable tier 10 so I know I shouldn't focus on the Chinese meds, but it's very tempting to chase the 121 anyway.

Valachio, what skills would you recommend for a 1.7 skill crew? I'm thinking:

• Commander: sixth, repairs @ 65%
  • Others: repairs, camo @ 65%

On the other hand, the WZ-120 could also use some gunnery skills on that second skill.

I go for 6th sense and repairs for my 1st skills on meds since I brawl more. Instead of camo, I go for snapshot, off road driving, and smooth ride. The 121 loses some of the speed of the 120, but the gun handling makes up for it. Veiw range skils are not bad on it either. I have recon, situational awareness combined with optics and I am consistently seeing tanks that can't see me, even when I shoot. It seems to have a very good camo rating. I have gold camo, but no camo crew skills

I go for 6th sense and repairs for my 1st skills on meds since I brawl more. Instead of camo, I go for snapshot, off road driving, and smooth ride. The 121 loses some of the speed of the 120, but the gun handling makes up for it. Veiw range skils are not bad on it either. I have recon, situational awareness combined with optics and I am consistently seeing tanks that can't see me, even when I shoot. It seems to have a very good camo rating. I have gold camo, but no camo crew skills

I just researched and bought the WZ-120 and trained my crew to it with the repairs/camo setup. Still running them in my T-34-3 until I can free XP all the WZ-120 modules, but I haven't really noticed a difference in the lack of gunnery skills when my crew's manning the T-34-3. The T-34-3 has such terrible fire control that the gunnery skills didn't appreciably help. I've already run into several situations where the camo skill has really helped, even at 66% on 3 crew members.

Will definitely re-evaluate those skills once I take the WZ-120 out of the garage, though. If it has better fire control than the T-34-3, I can definitely imagine smooth ride/snap shot helping in brawl situations.

Would you take it over the PTA? It seems the only advantage worth mentioning is the turret armour and a slight edge in alpha, with plenty of problems to pay for that.

Would you take it over the PTA? It seens the only advantage worth mentioning is the turret armour and a slight edge in alpha, with plenty of problems to pay for that.

I've played most of the tier 9 meds and the WZ would be my 1st choice over any of them. It works for me.

So, is the top gun actually worth running? HEAT, way worse handling than the 100mm, 2 degrees less of depression, it just doesn't seem to have a lot going for it.

So, is the top gun actually worth running? HEAT, way worse handling than the 100mm, 2 degrees less of depression, it just doesn't seem to have a lot going for it.

With the 100 mm it is just a worse T-54, or a Type 59 with a little more pen and worse MM. With the 122 mm it has a niche: as a medium which hits like a Mack Truck.

Well, its turret is tougher then T-54 turret :P .

I love the tank with the 122mm gun. It is such a joy to play!

I hate this tank so much. I want to love it, but every part of that gun's stats that isn't penetration or alpha conspires against you to land shots.

Part of the problem is probably that I haven't played it exclusively for several sessions to get comfortable with the strengths of the tank. Perhaps I'll do just that in the next couple of days. Landing one of those big alpha hits is pretty cathartic, so I can definitely see why people enjoy this tank. Puh-leeze tell me that the 121 is worth getting through this tank.

I changed my play-style in WZ120 to move and support the strongest flank on map where I could brawl (then flex if necessary). I started to do better but my WR is still trash in it.

Screw it, I'm going to force that square peg into the round hole and get good at this damned tank. It'll be like the "Kewei way", but for learning a tank.

8rNPTpN.gif

Will report back when stats are trashed.

Am grinding this tank , am up to the top 100mm gun ( which I find just enough to be able to be useful,can't wait for the 122mm)

still stock engine, and tracks,

but am enjoying this grind as much as one can enjoy a grind, really looking forward to a fully elite tank... will be great..