Big_ol_Bear

Dealing Consistent Damage

Question

So I took a break from WoT and recently came back; however I've noticed that my damage output has been less than desirable.  I have too many games of dealing less than acceptable damage and as a result my W/R has gone down and want to fix this.  With only 4k games, I feel that knowing the maps better can make a difference, but I'm already doing that and I'm not seeing results I like.  I've tried platooning and that seems to work, but only for so long (afterwards I take a break and MAYBE come back for more games on the same day).

I've tried WG forums before, but they blow, so I figured I'd try here and possibly get some help from some unis.  I like playing mediums and have the M48 which taught me a fair bit about remaining hidden and using speed.  I fail to utilize this, specifically in the T-54, and I cannot seem to realize the causation of my noobiness.

Plz help

-Bear

3 answers to this question

Map knowledge is an important skill to help raise your DPG but I personally don't think it is the most important. Staying alive is the best way I have found to raise my DPG. The longer you stay alive the more opportunities there are for you to use your gun. Getting a good firing location is important and knowing when to aggress/flex/retreat from firing position to firing position is the key to using your tank effectively. Although it means nothing if you aren't alive.

Random side note. Make as many shots as possible count. I often see myself missing a good shot because I rushed or derped it. Two or three missed shots is the difference between a 3k damage game and a 2k damage game.

TL;DR... Stay alive and always be thinking about where you can put yourself to do damage without taking much in return. Make the shots you do have count.

Map knowledge is an important skill to help raise your DPG but I personally don't think it is the most important. Staying alive is the best way I have found to raise my DPG. The longer you stay alive the more opportunities there are for you to use your gun. Getting a good firing location is important and knowing when to aggress/flex/retreat from firing position to firing position is the key to using your tank effectively. Although it means nothing if you aren't alive.

Random side note. Make as many shots as possible count. I often see myself missing a good shot because I rushed or derped it. Two or three missed shots is the difference between a 3k damage game and a 2k damage game.

TL;DR... Stay alive and always be thinking about where you can put yourself to do damage without taking much in return. Make the shots you do have count.

He's spot on. Let's go ahead and add something in on that though. While relocation is probably the largest factor in staying alive and being able to consistently put out damage, I always try to do two things regarding positioning. The first is that I always try to get early positions and damage out. This influences the game far more than waiting until two minutes in as it creates a slight imbalance in your team's favor. Second thing I always remember to do is exploit my tank's strengths and negate its weaknesses. I won't play my Leopard 1 the same way I play my E3 the same way I play an E100.

Even when a tank you're in isn't necessarily good for the map you're on, knowing what you can perform well with and where will contribute to you controlling the battle.