Kymrel

Japan: Horror grind until Tier 8?

36 posts in this topic

Since I was running out of interesting things to grind I decided to take the plunge and try out the Japanese tanks. I knew I was in for a not-so fun grind, and was not disappointed.

I sort of liked the tier 4 medium. It was kind of like playing a T-34 with better gun depression. The Tier 5 I don't like. It has one gimmick, abusing the -10° gun depression. And the long aim time and low alpha tends to encourage me to stay stationary and snipe, leading to my paper turret taking shots more often than it should. 

Looking ahead I dread the tier 6 and tier 7 tanks with 75mm guns, no armor, the speed of a heavy and (at tier 7) the size of a barn. Good gun depression is really one of my favorite features, but with paper turrets it is far less useful than it could be.

Is it really going to be a horrible grind until tier 8 or can you have fun playing the lower tier Japanese tanks? Any tips or tricks, other than to hang back, abuse gun depression and snipe like a little girl?

I do it when I need to, and find myself doing it quite a bit in the tier 5 med. I guess I have more of the same (expensive prem ammo for horrible damage) to look forward to...

Fire premium, free XP, or preferably some combination of the two.  It's sad to say, but those first 7 tiers are, as a whole, terrible.

8/9/10 make it worth your while, though... so at least you have that to look forward to.

I've ground out through tier 8 without use of free experience. Tiers 1-7 are NOT bad. They are actually fairly enjoyable. The stock tier 8 is killing me. If you have any free experience save it for that. Repeat, the stock tier 8 is killing me. Throw on top of that the fact that I have been cursed in that tank, I could bot a better WR, and I haven't tried to go down the line any further. This past 5x weekend I tried to get some wins in the STA-1 and it was painful. I think I won after 5 games yesterday?

I do it when I need to, and find myself doing it quite a bit in the tier 5 med. I guess I have more of the same (expensive prem ammo for horrible damage) to look forward to...

Let me put it this way: I'm not shy about firing APCR out of my Chi Ri, and it's actually been one of my most expensive tanks to run, and I'm still only hitting for damage on about half my shots. 

The good news is that the tank can be really fun to play, and offers a nearly unique opportunity with it's rammer-capable autoloader. I play mine the same way I played the Tier V BDR in the bad old days when it first came out (and saw Tier 8s): I pick the biggest battle buddy I could find that looks aggressive, and tuck in behind him. My main goal is to track heavier tanks in the open where they can be murdered by my teammates, or (if I can remember where to shoot) set them on fire. The anemic damage of each individual shot can be used to your advantage; I'm finding that many pubs like to shrug off the first little hit and try to bully or poke, only to find themselves eating two more shots and end up immobilized. You can also pick up weakened strays if you are alert. 

Don't be shy about hitting reload when you still have a shot or two in the can; a full clip only takes 8.5 seconds to reload and having that 390 burst can often make a difference. By the same token, don't be shy about firing only once or twice or slowing your rate of fire for longer shots, as you will reload inter-clip shots before your reticle settles. Target resolution with the Chi Ri is entirely situational, and making these decisions on the fly is a main reason why I'm enjoying the tank so much. 

I have no advice on how to play the Chi To since any experienced player should be able to do just fine at Tier 6 in any tank ;) It's a big tank with barely adequate gun depression and an accurate-ish gun, play accordingly. 

Though you're already past them, the tier 3 and 4 lights are great tanks and a lot of fun to play.

The Chi-To is a very good tank, the pen is more than enough for its tier and it has extremely high dpm along with the great gun depression. You'll want to get the top turret as quickly as possible though, stock has poor gun depression and happens to be the turret the Chi-Nu Kai uses.

As for the Chi-Ri, Kilpanic has already described it better than I can.

SerB is obviously after your gold.

Also, hulldown is still better than nothing; because a small target at lower tiers(where guns are typically not laser-accurate and players are not any good at aiming) is still a lot safer than a huge barn-sized tissue box.

I think the Type61 is the best tier 9 med.

It gets a 258pen APCR standard round with 330 HEAT. And it has great depression and DPM to boot.

Which is offset by its mediocre speed, poor camouflage, complete lack of armor, and poor gun handling

E 50 fixes all of those except the poor camouflage and poor mobility

Per recommendations of other players I've played up till the tier 6 which is quite good. I would also recommend playing through tier 6. I'll probably be skipping the tier 7.

I enjoyed the tier 6 once it was upgraded. Will be adding it back to the garage to start another crew the next time I see it on sale.

E-50 has better gun handling, at the cost of penetration + DPM. I actually need DPM, because I usually play super front line on like all my tanks.

The HEAT pen from the type61 comes in handy sometimes too.

E 50 has 6.25 rate of fire with 390 alpha, Type 61 has 6 rate of fire with 390 alpha

It might not have a HEAT round but the APCR is enough for anything but the UFP of some heavies and the E 100's turret

E 50's gun is superior in every aspect minus the lack of a HEAT round

Better gun handling, better accuracy, better aim time, better rate of fire

If you're looking for a brawler, why the Type 61 of all damn things

T-54 has better overall armor, more mobility, more camo

Only things it loses out on are gun depression, camouflage, and alpha damage/APCR

The E 50 is an even better brawler

Slightly worse gun depression, much better frontal armor, can sidescrape

oh i must've thought E-50 had E-50M's problem of low DPM, hmm.

i still don't like having to pay extra to shoot APCR out of the gun, and I don't think 220 AP is good, even if you have better gun handling. What if the next thing that shows up is an E100? At least if I'm loading standard rounds in a type61, I can deal with pretty much anything that comes my way.

I don't think E-50 is a bad tank, but the APCR standard / HEAT gold is mechanic that's pretty tough to pass on. The only other option I have for that would be the leo pta, but that thing takes like 10 or 11 seconds to reload >.>.

This might be a little off subject, but could someone explain why the Heat premium round is better than an APCR Premium round?  

Where do you want me to start?

- HEAT usually travels slower than AP or just the same speed

+ APCR travels faster than HEAT/AP in every case

- HEAT loses penetration when traveling through spaced armor

+ AP and APCR don't

- HEAT has no normalization at all

+ APCR has 2 degrees and AP has 5

- HEAT is the most common premium ammo on high tier tanks

All this in exchange for

+ Better sheer penetration compared to APCR and especially AP

+ HEAT autoricochets at 85 degrees

- AP and APCR ricochet at 70 degrees

I dont think e50s ap pen is bad, but some situations call for the apcr, which is arguably preferred over heat. However, t54 still best tier9