Sign in to follow this  
Novacube

How to Erlenberg?

6 posts in this topic

Hi tankers,

This map is one of the ones I regularly struggle with in achieving a high DPG, or doing anything useful in fact. The tanks I play associated will be the IS-3, the E4 and E5. I would like some advice please, on how to be of use. I'll add how I usually play the map so my level of derp is established.

West spawn:

I head north to the hilly area, and hull down/slope and bash any mediums or fast rushers at the start of the game. I then peek a bit over that slope to see if anyone has revealed themselves on the north bridge area. Sometimes the lemming train will then proceed to push north bridge. I'd follow and we'd proceed to get arty raped on the otherside if there are no competent fast tanks. Other times, by this stage the south bridge has collapsed under its own gravity of incompetence. I'd loop back to reinforce south. Fight off the attackers just to find the north lemming train has derailed itself in even greater ineptitude. In the event the enemy has greater derps and we are in fact winning, I may attempt an aggressive push through south or mid depending on the positioning of their defense. However, this rarely happens, thanks to the stalemate that 4 arties induce.

East spawn:

Sometimes if there are enough fast tanks going north, I push with them across the bridge to that hilly GudFite crapshoot pit in an attempt to garner as much damage as I can and take out enemy key tanks. My reasoning is to maximise my DPG, take out their high tier, and remove myself from this crap map ASAP. I can't trust pubbies to do anything on their own. Being aggressive is something I'm good at, so why not follow. When they all die, we're gonna be screwed anyway. So why not be screwed while screwing someone else over too. Convincing the mass not to rush is wasted breath. On a more passive game, I'd sit on the bridge corner in my E4 or heavy and deter any enemy push attempts. However, the 3 tanks I use have shitty spotting and some medium usually spots me first. I basically nudge out a tiny bit and see if 6th sense goes off telling me the enemy is in the vicinity. The corner becomes a stalemate (thanks again to arty). I end up squatting there being useless until one of the arties relocate and screw me over (Thanks T92 for the 1.5k dmg to my E4). I have also experimented with going south, and deterring any possible lemming rushes to the hills. However, that ends with the team pushing to south bridge, stalling and getting arty raped, or hill camping and doing nothing and getting arty raped. Sometimes I sit in those houses near north hill and snipe, but it is generally unproductive. I have not really tried going mid bridge, for a lack of things to shoot at +  2 open flanks.

Please correct my derpness and educate me on how I can maximise DPG and increase my contribution/win rate on this map in a solo pubtastic manner. Any help is appreciated, thanks. Feel free to tear apart my awful play.

Thanks for the great links, they have been very educating.

My conclusion is still that this map is a piece of shit, up there with redshite with no redeeming aspects of good map design. Part of the same shit sandwich and we all have to take a bite.

Ohhhh, there is indeed an Erlenberg thread, buried on the very last page ;3

How did 1.0 change preferred playstyle on this map? The old adage of never crossing the river during your initial deployment from spawn seems to still hold because its easy to get rekt when trying to push 0 line from north. On the other hand pushing the castle area seems useless because it just leads to a killzone with all the TDs in the world. I guess I should try to deploy more to the city area in heavies instead of the edges like it used to be?

On 4/5/2018 at 3:29 AM, nemlengyel said:

Ohhhh, there is indeed an Erlenberg thread, buried on the very last page ;3

How did 1.0 change preferred playstyle on this map? The old adage of never crossing the river during your initial deployment from spawn seems to still hold because its easy to get rekt when trying to push 0 line from north. On the other hand pushing the castle area seems useless because it just leads to a killzone with all the TDs in the world. I guess I should try to deploy more to the city area in heavies instead of the edges like it used to be?

Win the city or west island. I want to write something about it but I am not sure about how the northen spawn should play. Altough I have kinda figured out how to play South.

Sign in to follow this