xWulffx

Soccer tanks?

The modules are removed from the tank for free when it gets removed from your garage, so no worries about losing them or gold. I heard you can run the governor pretty much all the battle without damaging your engine (ridiculous module hp maybe?) but in the few battles I played I always forgot to activate it.

The modules are removed from the tank for free when it gets removed from your garage, so no worries about losing them or gold. I heard you can run the governor pretty much all the battle without damaging your engine (ridiculous module hp maybe?) but in the few battles I played I always forgot to activate it.

yes, you can run govern for full game (i turn if on, and leave it on), i also use oil, since i still had 400 left (from T-50-2) so its also for free, and us large repair kit 9 toolbox to speed up the trackrepair

ps: using a commander with 100% trackrepair would be a serious advantage i think, but im too cheap to retrain a commander for it :P

This game is just too fun with a toon!

I'm running mine with Toolbox/Rammer/Vents and Large-repair/speed governor/small repair.

I'm not running oil cause yeah... Too much. Small repair never used though, but nothing else useful that's not costly.

The vents are there because I tried some games with an increased track HP thingy (can't remember the name and posting from phone, also lazy) , but imho it's not really working. Vents giving the small overall mobility and handling improvements is suiting me better.

Didn't retrain any commander, but mine is 88% repairs and I have to say... These tracks are flying on so fast, that sometimes it seems they are repaired instantly. All it does is making the game feel laggy or like when you accidentally turned off cruise-control, it's insane. Maybe this tank has already increased repair values?

This is more fun than I first thought -- beyond equipment loadout, what about strategy -- was playing against a clan platoon last night and they kept a guy as a "goalee" who would just keep tracking us from their goal and block the ball when it came, pretty effective.

Is the gouge to throw in a new commander and enjoy all the XP and ACT?  Plus, we get to keep that 100% mulit-crew commander for something later?  (just like the KARL commander)

Yeah, running large repair pack, governor, and fuel  8)  track repair speed is fantastic with large repair kit and tool box. Wish I had a spare rammer, but Im not switching one from another tank

2-0 thus far, scored 3 goals. Its not too hard to play! Need to get a platoon going and get that EXP

How long this event running for? I ain't gonna be home until Friday. :-(

good question...

I've been loving the hell out of Soccer mode!

No lie, probably the most fun I've had playing tanks in 2 years.

WGing would be stupid not to make a tournament out of this mode.

Concerning strategy.

When platooned, IMHO, it is really advisable to have one dedicated defender/midfielder and two attackers.

The two attackers just drive around the whole map, trying whatever to get the ball close to or into the goal.

The defender will stay between his 16meter lines and the middle line. Having one player in the back has multiple advantages:

- good defending position with overview, allowing tactic shots on tracks and the ball

- due to positioning this tank is great at shooting balls that cross the goal and score. Giving your attackers the option to "just" try to get the ball in front of the goal somehow, independent of their own angles towards the goal.

- good shot at a respawning ball. This might be one of the most important ones actually. If scored, the ball is respawned instantly at the center point, and if all your tanks would be on their half of the field; an even mildly coordinated team will definitely just shoot the ball across and score most of the times.

- but don't be afraid to move up to the middle line, sitting all the way in the back doesn't make you all to useful as you are mostly dependent on the mood of RNGuses

Ps. If no one in your team wants to be a dedicated defender/midfielder, try changing rolls after each goal

Wow GehakteMolen, you are taking it seriously - using oil and a removed speed governor as well as the large repair kit for faster track repairs!

(I'm using the large repair kit, and toyed with the idea of mounting a rammer so I can't really talk...)

I retrained an old commander with 94% repair skill, added a toolbox and large repair kit, and now I have a 1.5 second track repair time.

Think it runs to the end of the month. Gotta check.

Checked.... goes to July 13th...

I hope and predict it will last longer than that by popular vote.

It would be sweet if they kept it around. Despite it being made specially for the big soccer cup, pixel tonks playing with a giant soccer ball should be a new sport on its own.

I can't enjoy it. Too often the ball gets stuck on a wall or one team scores a goal and then deliberately tries to keep it stuck.

Maybe I'm just bad@soccer

I can't enjoy it. Too often the ball gets stuck on a wall or one team scores a goal and then deliberately tries to keep it stuck.

Maybe I'm just bad@soccer

The trick to get our of a wall grinder is to get the ball ball in the air.  Try pulling back slightly and running back in.  A ball caught in a head-on collision will frequently pop up in the air, albeit somewhat unpredictably.  Shooting it out of the air propels it much more effectively than on the ground, and also is easier for decent players to do, the baddies miss or have to wait for it to settle.

Been running the heck out of these too. I've played ~ 130 games so far with half of them platooned.

I run RSG, Large Repair/Vert Stab, Rammer, Toolbox. I tried the suspension equipment, but didn't notice improvement after the first couple of damaging track shots (a full health track seems to be able to take one hit for free).

Here are some more advanced tips.

- Shoot the top quarter of the ball to make it jump. As long as it isn't touching an opposing tank, the ball will bounce up and over anything within 5-20 meters. This is very useful when trying to get past the "goalie".

- Do everything you can to keep the ball off the boards; don't get caught in the game of reverse tug-o-war. I usually cede possession and wait for the ball to be knocked a couple meters ahead of their tank then bounce it over (see 1st tip).

- When the ball bounces extremely high up, drive as far away from it as possible to allow your turret enough elevation. Then, shoot the ball at the pinnacle of one of the bounces to easily advance it forward. I've scored many goals this way as the enemy team has very little power to stop a moving/high-bouncing ball.

- When driving full speed with the ball touching your front, you can shoot it while moving to make it bounce way up and maintain it's speed. This is also a shameless plug for my youtube video of this in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQcLHaJaCw

The crew exp really adds up after awhile so I am trying to finish off some near 1st skill commanders so I don't have to play without 6th Sense. The most annoying part is that the enemy team seems to usually be more interested in tracking me than actually going for the ball. If tracking were not as effective as it currently is, this would keep me entertained for months.

I dont know how its in the US, but ``participation`` medals are normal, for a lot of things, and ppl looking down on them are *special* perhaps this is more a european thing (i dont know) but its normal, you get them for everything (and it relates to participation as memorial / remembering)

Infact, 99.99% of all medals are for ``participation`` (and not winning) from army medals to marching events to school sport stuff, its ment as remembrance to that event (is that even a word?)

(like all those soviet ww2 veterans with 150 medals and badges)

Here, those of us who are a bit older tend to view participation "rewards" as pandering.  Shit to appease insecure "My kid is special!" moms.  Shit to make average people feel like they've accomplished something.  Shit that makes people think that the world owes them something, just because they showed up.

You want a memorial?  Take a picture.  Buy the T-shirt.  You want an award?  Do something noteworthy.  

I think tanks does a pretty good job with this.  Or at least, they did it with this event.  You can get your "participation" medal for trying it once,  but you can also get other medals for doing it well.  

I find this mode to be a very amusing way of trolling/getting revenge on pubbies. (I only troll if everyone on both teams are yellow or worse. If there are green or better players, or someone from a relevant clan I actually do try to play.)

Some matches I just pick one pubbie at random and spend the whole match just tracking him; no one else, just him. Sometimes they try to shoot me back from across the map, other times they abandon everything they are doing to drive over and ram me repeatedly. The best part is when I annoy someone enough that he starts raging in chat. Major lols. 

Other times I just sit there doing absolutely nothing. Very often some deep red on my team will start yelling at me in chat to come help or make some passive aggressive comment in gen chat about how I'm a jerk or a bot etc etc for not moving.

That's when I get to taunt them with their own favorite phrases:

"Don't tell me how to play my tank!!"

"Scoring is for stat-padders!!"

"I'm protecting arty!!" (my personal favorite)

"I play for fun"

My favorite match was when a DOS guy ended up on my team. We scored in the first 20 seconds then drove the ball into a corner and kept it squashed there with our tanks. We spent the rest of the match trying to come up with more and more outrageous insults to hurl at the butt mad pubbies on the other team.