precambrian

Third Equipment Piece for SU-122-44

Question

I have almost no experience with TDs but am looking to pick up an SU-122-44 this weekend while it's on sale. What should I throw on it equipment wise? Rammer and GLD are a given, but I'm debating the merits of Vents versus Optics for the last slot. Vents helps further boost damage output, whereas optics helps compensate for the shitty view range; but is a kick from ~338m with vents to 363m with optics worth giving up the slightly faster reload/better gun handling that vents would provide?

Or am I completely missing the merits of something like camo net? I just feel like I'll #420yoloblazeassaultTD too much for the net to be useful.

9 answers to this question

I run rammer/GLD/vents + BiA + Gold food to try and maximize DPM. I have the reload down to 6.32s. I could see the merits to optics, but you have to remember the base viewrange for that thing is 330m, so you won't get much bang for your buck imo. 

The overwhelming strength of this TD is the DPM. I believe it is third in the game for DPM, after the tortoise and russian tier 10 TD's (which are tied for second). The excessive fire rate lets you do many things with this tank that wouldn't seem like good ideas at first. For example, you can snipe with this inaccurate TD, since the volume of fire you're putting downrange guarantees hits. You can also brawl if it becomes absolutely necessary, since the turn rate and fire rate are both so high. 

Since this tank's greatest strength is the fire rate, that is what I try to improve upon. Other opinions may vary. 

Thanks for the info on the equipment but what about the crew skills. (figured it'd be better to ask here than make a whole new question).

This is what I was thinking about doing.

commander -sixth sense, BiA, camo

gunner - snap shot, BiA, camo

driver - clutch breaking, BiA, camo

loader - safe stowage, BiA, camo

Also I've been told the play style of this TD is more like a medium tank as opposed to a traditional TD due to it's speed and dpm. Is there a special way to play this vehicle to maximize performance?

Thank you.

uO6nwLo.jpg?1

4vnlCgg.jpg?1

There ya go!

(they're at 94% cause I just retrained them for the 263)

For a three skill crew, go with:

Bia, 6th, camo

Bia, camo, repair

Bia, camo, repair

Bia, camo, repair

The repair is there because this is a very aggressive TD. You want to be able to go on the front-lines longer than one repair kit will last you.

I can't help you with crew training because I've never had an SU-122-44, but I have played 700+ games in the Object 268 and pull an average 2370 Eff and 2123 WN7 with it. It's closely enough related to it that I feel my opinion is valid for equipment and consumables.

​As stated above, definitely go with Vents as your third piece of equipment.

As for consumables, I'm not sure about you, but I can't afford to put food on my tanks for every pub match. For pub matches, either go with the regular small med kit, small repair kit, and fire extinguisher (manual or automatic), or, for Tank Destroyers and Scouts, I prefer to put small med kit, large repair kit, small repair kit. The extra repair kit has saved my life countless times in tank destroyers because a tracked, turretless TD, is a dead TD. Just remember to use the small repair kit first, unless you need to fix everything quick, or you'll find it really hard to make credits.

When I started I put camo to everybody. Then after it’s done:

- commander reseted to 6th sense and restarted camo,

- gunner started repair

- driver started clutch breaking

- loader started repair

Clutch breaking I’m used to have on all tanks, not necessary as the first skill but see the difference, especially on heavies and TDs.  Being on top, especially in the city maps, I play very aggressively, it not always works but generally results are not bad. This is why I consider repair as important skill for the team, to don’t waste repair kit for tracks. If there is a forest I try to follow the main heavies line and shoot what they spot. With lemmings I usually decide to protect the other side, with such fear factor (alfa dmg) it can stop enemies for some time giving lemming train time. Being down on the list… camp, snipe :tongue: and react depending on situation on the map – it’s fast tank so, it’s possible to flank very nice. At least this is the theory I try to apply.

The equipment are rammer, DLG, vents. Was thinking about optics but prefer faster reload. Had few times, facing the enemy, a situation when two shots are better then just one. Consumables I have small med and repair kits and big repair kit – which I don’t use but just having it reduce repair time by 15% (as far as I remember now). And few gold ammo just in case... :verysmug:

With the new aiming mechanics a reevaluation of vents vs optics might be useful. After all, it didn't really help you to see someone at max range because it would be silly to expect much out of even the improved D-25S the 122-44 carries. Now, though, you can put those rounds on target very reliably. I managed two De Langelade's in a row with it from quite far away.

With the new aiming mechanics a reevaluation of vents vs optics might be useful. After all, it didn't really help you to see someone at max range because it would be silly to expect much out of even the improved D-25S the 122-44 carries. Now, though, you can put those rounds on target very reliably. I managed two De Langelade's in a row with it from quite far away.

At 330m view range, Optics would only boost that to 363 view range, which is pretty insubstantial given that most enemies that you'll be facing will have +370m.

At 330m view range, Optics would only boost that to 363 view range, which is pretty insubstantial given that most enemies that you'll be facing will have +370m.

True, but you also have camo better than even Chinese lights while firing or immobile. Not saying it's perfect, but it does help remedy one of the very few weaknesses of the vehicle.

True, but you also have camo better than even Chinese lights while firing or immobile. Not saying it's perfect, but it does help remedy one of the very few weaknesses of the vehicle.

I use binocs, rammer, egld on mine. 25% bonus is noticeable ,even on horrible base value such as 330m.