Rexxie

IS-7 Exculpation Thread

My only complaint is the APCR pen isn't quite enough to go through the front of the E 100 turret, so I just load AP and snipe that little bar.

It is.

The IS-7's gold round is solid. It's the worst T10 HT APCR round, but not by much - and even the worst T10 APCR is better than any of the T10 HEAT rounds. T10 HEAT is all around ~340 pen, which is about the same as 330 pen with APCR. Then you factor in the much lower shell velocity, track problems, and lack of overmatch and you can see why 303 pen APCR is a little better than anything you can get with HEAT. Not by a lot, but still better.

And yes, it can go through the E-100s turret, which is about 285mm unangled. Of course, a well angled turret is not really a viable target, but that goes for anything other than a T10 TD. If you're fighting an angled E-100 that's hiding his LFP and you dont have the height advantage to see his engine deck, you're just not going to win. That's the E-100's entire shtick.

Don't know how I pulled this off but here's a nice game featuring south play in Arctic Region. In the absence of arty, heavies with good turret armor in general can use this area really nicely provided one is aware of the little southern path. 

5443e14a9c81a55e46010000.jpg

In a week that i have had deep red teams non stop, the IS-7 has been the only good thing to me. 5-0 on it so far. I pretty much have gone to medium spots on open maps like serene coast and Steps, then heavy hull down on maps like Hidden Valley.

Seems like the current meta really favors this tank.

Okay, everything with the most recent change to the IS-7 was supposed to be a buff but I'm convinced the armor is worthless now. I'm getting penned by everything. A JPE goes through the front of the turret with AP, the weld where the lower plate meets the upper plates is visible and now, rather than being a troll bouncing shots there, it is a huge weak spot from everything I've seen so far. That, and even the frontal armor in general seems way less effective than it was pre-HD. Can anyone else confirm this or is it just me?

I came looking to see if anyone else is having the same experience as me, I literally can't bounce anything after the HD model redo. I had a T29 pen me on the tip of the pike with standard AP 3 times in a row today (a super red T29 that fail-platooned into a 10 match). I'm so ready to sell this tank, it is nearly worthless because the gun was never anything special. 

Yeah my IS-7's armor is shit too, but I dont know if that is really the HD model's fault.

The armor was always shit, IS7 armor is one of the most over-rated things of this entire game :P

I always said, and still say, that T110E5 front armor is better / more effective as IS7 front armor, E5 weakspots are easier to hide, and harder to hit, the beak / UFP is so strong, ``nothing`` penetrates it, unlike IS7 UFP, which will get penetrated a lot (280 AP pen is about the ``breaking point`` (you better have 60% impenetratable and 40% weak as 30% weak and 70% strong...)

The whole point of reverse sidescraping is to not get shot in the rear at all, but my friend from vilin said he used to do it all the time when he played and it worked pretty well. I don't do it myself because I can't be asked but that's beside the point.

Of course, but having 1/3 of the rear now have 150mm of armour makes it seem a whole lot easier to pull off atleast.

Don't know how I pulled this off but here's a nice game featuring south play in Arctic Region. In the absence of arty, heavies with good turret armor in general can use this area really nicely provided one is aware of the little southern path. 

5443e14a9c81a55e46010000.jpg

Wow, that E100, wow. The one time it would've been good for a derpy E100 driver to derp HE out of his derpy 15 cm derp, he continues to fruitlessly use HEAT. Just...wow.

This tank sucks. I hate it.

I also hate Oneechan for making me think of linking this because I hate the IS-7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLxUVACQF0

Was on the verge of rage selling it, then had a 6,200 damage carry in it.  Tired of the gun never hitting where I aim though so I've given in and load all gold ammo in it now.  Plus my best crew in the game is in this tank and I like keeping my best crews in the highest possible tier tanks where they're needed more.

Purchased:

'IS-7' successfully purchased. Spent :  6,100,000

huehuehuehuehue

IT BEGINS

Ok a perfectly average first game pinning down a deathstar, e100 & other is7 but unable to damage them. They spent the entire match sidescraped looking at me while their team folded around them. 

Second game I was afk for, because suddenly my game didn't load the map. Sat on an empty loading bar as my team icons winked out one by one. That was fun. 

Then I get this

4otBj68.jpg

By no means an exceptional game, but IS7 stronk scout! Sidescraped a JPE100, E5 and donked shots from T30 and other Jageru hulled down. Dat turret. Also 130mm of HE is enough to punish hull-down jagerus huehuehue that guy. 

Game also involved a T95 raging at me because I did his job better than him, because I had the speed to get there. Huehuehue. 

I envisage much fun to be had with this, maybe not the most damage but the sheer staying power when you put it somewhere right is insane, but small and not-house sized like the E100. 

It's like an IS8 but somebody decided 'Oh hey, we should probably make this a viable, not shit tank guys' 

Oh and what the hell is up with 2.4k damage giving 2700 WN8? It doesn't factor spotting does it? That is some low fucking expectation for a tier 10 right there. This gon be gud!

Alright, for those of you who have the IS-4 and IS-7, how do they compare? I -like- my IS-4 but I'm not -in like- with it, and could stand to sell my 268 and buy another front line tier 10 tank.

21 games so far and I must admit this is probably my favourite tier 10 tank. To be honest, I think it's the only tier 10 tank I actually enjoy playing.

It feels like I'm actually in a heavy tank instead of a damage sponge like the E-100, or just a fat medium with crappy camo like the T110E5. I really disliked having to manage turret weak spots on top of LFPs on those tanks. The IS-7 is much more simple in that regard.

It actually bounces shot that hit the front, even from tier 10s as long as you keep that LFP covered. The sides aren't paper either and allow some very decent side scraping.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is to keep medium tanks from stealing my damage. I think I'm focussing too much on soaking damage :/

I am enjoying sucking HEAT rounds into the vacuum that is my stupidly spaced side armour.

Plus dat feeling when people start flinging HE at ya. Nom.

Need moar games. Silly work :(

I've had it since the IS-4 move and tried to have a renaissance in it, but always loathe it.  The gun is way too trollish and the armor RNG has failed me.  I've totally rekindled my relationship with the IS-4 instead.  It's armor RNG seems to like me so much more.