TommyNole

Make a case FOR or AGAINST XVM

USE XVM OR NOT??  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with XVM

Hey there.... 

So, in the interest of being transparent, it REALLY bothers me when I load in to a game and see the RED SEA on my team and two 'toons of BLURPLES on the other. I don't subscribe to any tin-foil hat conspiracies, but it does affect my enjoyment of the game.

To that end, I'm really considering just turning off XVM and the chance to win (which I realize is not 'always' accurate). I've kept it on mainly so I can see who the 'dangerous' players are on the other team. (And who I SHOULD be able to count on on my team.) But seeing 30% after 30% game after game has really started bothering me.

What say you? Vote and make a case for keeping it or kicking it. I appreciate the feedback.

TL:DR: Keep it for knowledge/awareness reasons.

I keep it for one of the reasons you mentioned as well as others. You are essentially gimping your situational awareness without it. You wont know which target you should prioritize if you have the chance, you dont know which target you could likely win a 1v1 against if you push, and you wont know if that player has the knowledge and awareness to advance on you or flank you.

If anything, find an xvm config that will disable the chance to win rating if its that big of an issue for you. I personally never payed attention to that ever, basically forgot it existed. I only now look at it on occasion because of interest, and I never let it influence me. Its mostly based on people's winrates and average tier, and not everyone plays consistently. Ive won many of those games when your team is a bunch of apples and bananas against multiple blueberries and plums.

I got rid of it at the end of last summer. It was too depressing to be reminded how bad people are every time I clicked battle. I found it hard to stay positive even with the win chance turned off. Feeling like you can't win before the game even starts affected my outlook which in turn affected my game play some. At least now I start every game believing I have a chance. I also hate how people use it to pick on bad players and focus down good players. I have my ingame display only showing tanks, not names. Even if it might make me win more, I refuse to focus people because they are good. I choose targets based on the tank, not the player. I have my games ruined all the time by XVM assholes who ignore the 12 tier 10's on the team to focus my tier 8. Dodging arty all game helps me win more since they aren't shooting my team mates, but it also makes the game no fun sometimes. I don't want to do that to other people. After all, it is a game and is supposed to be enjoyable.

I personally have the stat part of xvm off. Mainly because I dont want to see a sea of red but also because when ever I see a unicum I often put myself in bad positions and die to kill them and that isnt how I should play. I do have the minimap/damage couter parts turned on though.

I wish WG would ban it but because they allow it, there is no reason to run without the mod. It does contribute to creating a plan but I feel like it is a detriment more than anything to good players as they can get focused. 

For XVM: When I know I'm going to lose horribly, at least I get warned first, so I get a lot less angry. In fact in my last 1000 battles my WR dropped by 1% (tier 8 learning curve + sea of reds) but I didn't remember raging at anybody. It's good for anger management.

Against XVM: Sometimes making myself losing motivation when in a bad team, where without stats I would've tried as hard as I can anyway,

Like someone said, it's invaluable. 

Just for the ability to evaluate the teams during the countdown. Make predictions on where people will be going, what's safe and what's not. What you can get away with or what tanks to expect around that corner. All this you can do based on tank comp/skill level of you opponents. Not to say it always works but often you can get pretty close. 

Those damn red yolo scouts though. Sometimes they fuck it all up regardless:) Though you can sometimes predict that too. 

Ooh look, blood red t71. You know he's gonna yolo scout early so you have to take that into account. 

Notice how its mainly purples that still support xvm...

I can understand how banning its existence would greatly benefit everyone in different ways, and I infact totally support removing xvm stats entirely, but disabling it for yourself while everyone else can continue using it is, like I said before, only gimping yourself.

God damn misclicks I have a bad omen with unitatoes bringing the % up and just camping back to damage farm so I usually keep it off because that 60% to win becomes a 0 from blunicums not being aggressive enough or dying very early on from over extension and blaming everyone else.

I don't care if others use it. Although i find it mildly amusing people still sperg over stats, especially people 40k battles. Or even 30k. I figure the stat novelty wears off by 8k but guess takes longer for some....

I could see it giving me no useful information so i turned stats off.   It started with me not updating my token on the site. Then i just set it all to false.

I still keep damage counters and minimap circles since those are useful.

I also don't use contour icons anymore since they are just clutter. Im not  awesome enough yet to go full bare with no mods. Maybe down the road

I turned it off since even just individual stats was too demoralizing for me. I an somewhat more relaxed while playing now, but I have been losing a lot more too. Coincidence? Maybe.

Turn it off.

I dislike the display of "Win Chance" and seeing how bad everyone is.
I prefer to follow the "Ignorance is Bliss" path and maintain my morale rather than let it subconsciously die.

The only thing I hate more than that would be people who declare "We lose" at the start of the match due to XVM win percentage. I would love nothing more than put a bullet into his arse if it wouldn't lessen his ability as a meatshield. On the bright side, having people claim a loss at the start of the game gets me fired up to prove the bugger wrong.

I remember I once had a game where my plat mate in my (somewhat sub-par) clan claimed a loss due to a 5% win chance. A late game flanking rush and a quick cap by two light tanks won that. I convinced him to stop basing games off win chance percentages from that day on.

On the flip side, I guess seeing how your players are can give you a gauge as to how aggressive/cautious you should play. But I feel the morale hit isn't worth the trade.

Hey there.... 

So, in the interest of being transparent, it REALLY bothers me when I load in to a game and see the RED SEA on my team and two 'toons of BLURPLES on the other. I don't subscribe to any tin-foil hat conspiracies, but it does affect my enjoyment of the game.

To that end, I'm really considering just turning off XVM and the chance to win (which I realize is not 'always' accurate). I've kept it on mainly so I can see who the 'dangerous' players are on the other team. (And who I SHOULD be able to count on on my team.) But seeing 30% after 30% game after game has really started bothering me.

What say you? Vote and make a case for keeping it or kicking it. I appreciate the feedback.

Why you would blind yourself to purposefully ignore the circumstances is beyond me.

I use it at the start of the battle to identify teammates I can support and get help from, then it gets ignored. XVM targeting is asking to get tunnel vision. Ill MAYBE use it to choose who to blow up if two tanks are one hittable but mostly I'll just kill the nastier of the two.

Turn off win %

Turn off stat numbers

Change the colour scale, so it just colours the player name with a binary better-than-average/worse-than-average for each player. Say, yellow for <1200 and green for >=1200 (adjust this according to the average skill of the tier you usually play)

This will tell you who you can generally trust to at least know which end of their tank is which (on your team) and who you should pay a little more attention to (on the enemy team) without the huge morale bombshell that is a friendly team full of dark reds and an enemy team full of purples.

it REALLY bothers me when I load in to a game and see the RED SEA on my team and two 'toons of BLURPLES on the other.

Personally, I'm making the switch from being pessimistic about having a bad team, to seeing the opportunity to still inflict a maximal amount of damage. Since your team is not going to hit much, use them as a meatshield for as long as possible and farm damage, even if it is "empty damage".

Some might say you could go after the enemy top players and try to force a win, but I prefer to avoid them.

Just focus on balancing your WN and WR between games where you get bad and good teams respectively.

For average/good players, it is in a way worse to have one or two blurple platoons on your team; sure you'll win, but if you are a bit slow/unlucky, it will be a win in a top tier heavy with 0 dmg and 300 xp...

Anyways, as indicated, this has mostly all been said long time ago by some unicum guru's.

Search in google on wotlabs and xvm, or even on the official forum I guess.

Tito

Turn off win %

Turn off stat numbers

Change the colour scale, so it just colours the player name with a binary better-than-average/worse-than-average for each player. Say, yellow for <1200 and green for >=1200 (adjust this according to the average skill of the tier you usually play)

This will tell you who you can generally trust to at least know which end of their tank is which (on your team) and who you should pay a little more attention to (on the enemy team) without the huge morale bombshell that is a friendly team full of dark reds and an enemy team full of purples.

I've thought about doing something like this. Editing the XVM config shouldn't be tooo difficult, right?

I'm using it, and I find it useful. Since a long time I removed the win chance as it's totally unreliable, then I adapted the player color to his own WN8 skill (no multicolored lines - only the skill) just to know who I am facing, or if a skilled one is holding a given key-spot on the map, and so on... finally, I adopted the same use of the colors for the health-bar on top of the tank, for an immediate recognition.

That's all. It's only a tool, useful for some valuations. How it makes you feel it's only to you, but would you feel better not seeing the 'red sea' only to suffer their behavior anyway?    &gt;:|