TommyNole

Make a case FOR or AGAINST XVM

USE XVM OR NOT??  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with XVM

Im red/green color blind. WOT's own colorblind mode is beyond terrible in winter maps. Un usable, even.

I also have concussion induced ADD. the Mini-map mod for XVM is beyond helpful in this regard for last known locations and tank ID's. Its pretty much required for me. 

Couldnt care less about personal stats or chance to win, but I gotta have those features

I'm using it, and I find it useful. Since a long time I removed the win chance as it's totally unreliable, then I adapted the player color to his own WN8 skill (no multicolored lines - only the skill) just to know who I am facing, or if a skilled one is holding a given key-spot on the map, and so on... finally, I adopted the same use of the colors for the health-bar on top of the tank, for an immediate recognition.

That's all. It's only a tool, useful for some valuations. How it makes you feel it's only to you, but would you feel better not seeing the 'red sea' only to suffer their behavior anyway?    >:|

Are you saying you modified your minimap to show player color?

That's a VERY interesting idea.

If it's not hard to explain how you did it, throw some knowledge my way. If it's fairly complicated I'll just work it out on my own. I've always just used someone else's pack without modification. Maybe I should look at working out a few things on my own.

And for the OP. I'm going to be turning off win chance. It's incredibly unreliable and demoralizing to me personally. I got SERIOUSLY on tilt last night because of it. I played 15 games. W/R - 20%.

Team after team after fucking team of the most godawful baddies. I was personally doing ok for the first 7-8 games. Holding over 2k WN8 so I managed to "ignore" it. But then I had a shit game and my mental "blame it on the team" switch finally flipped.

I raged and clicked for several more games before I even realized the Mr. Hyde had arrived.

Ended the night at 779 WN8.

Fuck that. Win chance is going in the bin before I log in again.

Get rid of it. Kill it with fire.

A very large proportion of games either see me "worshipped" for my stats, then focus fired by every enemy tank on the map. A lot of the rest have me being accused of being a hacker, teammates not playing expecting me to do everything myself, 3 enemy players suiciding to kill me (maybe we can win, but I am still dead), artillery making it impossible for me to move out of hard cover, and every yellow or light green player on my team following me to spots which do not require more then one or two tanks, should not have more then one or two tanks there AND are almost impossible to play correctly without at least blue level skill.

I doubt it affects my win rate much (the factors cancel) however it significantly reduces the quality of gameplay. Add to this the amount of insults being thrown around ("tomato" as a derogatory term, often towards players that are not that far below average, could be kids/disabled, etc.) I am guilty of this myself, however I at least need to witness actual bad play as opposed to pre-battle trolling.

The only people who benefit from XVM are people who use it to gain an advantage they really shouldn't need, and in my opinion do not deserve. I don't want a computer program telling me who to shoot. How am I supposed to know the KT is an APCR slinging purple while the IS-7 is a HE spamming red? I shouldn't know, until I actually encounter them in combat. I don't want to know, because it degrades the game for every player involved. Weaker players don't learn (due to preferential treatment by XVM users) and get ridiculed, while good players get unfairly focused on and often trolled, even TK'ed (I have seen it happen) by the players they use XVM to insult.

Basically, XVM is a clusterfuck that has no buisness existing in the game.

I like it because it allows me to more or less gauge how well a flank will hold up or which guns will take adequate advantage of my scouting.

It also scares me how often my measly 1.6k overall is the best in the game, even at Tier-VII+.

It also leads me to wonder why some "good" players do the things they do. Seriously; why are so many blurples camping the magical forest in their top-tier heavies? No, I want to know... Is that a better damage farming area than actually being useful on the 1-2 line?

The case FOR XVM: It's handy. Good to see how many "good" and "bad" players are on each side, possibly who to focus on, who to rely on etc. At times how aggressive to be, and when to hold back a bit.

The case AGAINST XVM: People who crack the shits. They see a low % chance to win (which we all know is a bit "iffy" at best), and blatantly give up without doing damage, spotting or contributing in any way. I see this from "tomatoes", greens, and purples which is just atrocious. We have all won games with a less that 30% chance to win, I've even been on a winning team which was given 12% chance, yet I constantly see people giving up with a 48% chance to win. It's embarrassing. 

Coming from a non stat padder, below average player who always does his best.

I keep mine on for a couple of reasons. One, so I'll know what to expect from my team. Two, so I'll know which teammates I can rely on and which to treat as cannon fodder. Three, so I'll know which enemy players are likely to be the biggest threat so I can try and take them out of the game ASAP, avoid them if necessary, or point them out to my team as a high priority target. Four, so I'll know how hard I'll need to try and carry. If I load into a game, and I see a bunch of reds and oranges on my team, and a bunch of oranges, yellows, and a few greens or worse on the enemy team? That tells me I really need to get serious.

Lastly, its incredibly satisfying to win a game when you're given a horribly low chance at victory. 

Are you saying you modified your minimap to show player color?

That's a VERY interesting idea.

No, no, not the minimap. Maybe I haven't been too clear.

I modified the player list on the sides of the screen to show only their WN8 skill and the healthbars on top of every tank in the game so to see the wn8 skill of the player you're facing. That's more immediate than seek in the lists. I find this rather useful.

To do this, you have to edit your xvm.xc file with the configuration editor (you can find it on the xvm site) then choose 'Markers' from the left menu, then the 'Healt bar' section and in the 'Color' picker assign the 'Color depended from WN8 rating' value both for the Ally and the Enemy section.

I am not at home so I'm trying to remember, but this should be te right way to make things work.

ciao!

I actually play better without it because i assume everybody is at least competent enough to be a threat. But it is in no way a worthwhile advice since it works for me and for how i think and process informations. For most people it should be better to leave stats on and winchance off.

I decided to turn XVM stats off. I still use the other functionalities.
The main reason for turning it off was that it made me go Derp in tanks I was not yet too familiar with if my team was utter shit. The demoralizing factor of seeing a triple bluenicum platoon in T8 was devastating for me as I am not yet used to high tier battles. After having turned XVM off my results in T8s have become better and especially much more constant. Disabling XVM cut down on my Derps.
I do not care for XVM in T6 games as I am usually amongst the top players there and very good players are rarer. Plus I know all the tanks I face as I have driven almost all T6s in the game now.
So once I get competent and confident in higher tiers I might enable stats again, but for now I prefer to concentrate solely on where I should go and where my team and the enemy team are most likely to go by tanks driven. Also not having stats really cut down on rage inducing moments. You no longer have a feeling of facing the inevitable.
And for the you need stats to judge team mates: You have a mini-map. That is the best noob Ace detector in the game.

BAN XVM FROM ARTY PLAYERS!!!!!

I could only wish...And my tags too.   Tonight on Airfeild, I was trying to figure out which corner the arty was on so I knew where I'd be safe since there was only one. E100 sitting in the little pass for almost 3 minutes and no arty incoming. Figured I was safe to cross...Bam hit by arty. He had been just waiting for me the whole time. He did not give a shit about the other E100.

I play arty, but I have no XVM and my in game display is set to only show tanks so I have no idea who is who. I am here to fight tanks, not people because they happen to be good...I refuse to do that to other good players like so many pubbies do to me even if it means I lose.

It also leads me to wonder why some "good" players do the things they do. Seriously; why are so many blurples camping the magical forest in their top-tier heavies? No, I want to know... Is that a better damage farming area than actually being useful on the 1-2 line?

Offtopic, but...

I am not sure the current gameplay 1-2 line is effective. If you are south spawn you can't push it due to the A1 position (unless you have a speed mismatch and can deny them).

From the north you have a very hard time pushing into them from 1-2, due to the camo tds in the back. You cannot push the three line unless the southeast corner is secure.

In general the southeast corner fight wins it in my experience. It's tough to handle from the north; a competent south team has all the advantage unless north has a smart spotter.

informatiom > no information

chance to win is irrelavent and often wrong therefore I turn it off ... make your own chance to win and not rely on team to do it

I voted for keeping XVM on but if you have win changes on, i would vote the other way. I use it to see who can support me, or the other way. And if i am gonna peek, who is gonna hit me and who is gonna miss.

I did think about getting rid of it, It changed to much, and the colors were to bright to just give info, the gave a mood also. So i changed the colors to a more softer palet of colors.

TL:DR: Keep it for knowledge/awareness reasons.

I keep it for one of the reasons you mentioned as well as others. You are essentially gimping your situational awareness without it. You wont know which target you should prioritize if you have the chance, you dont know which target you could likely win a 1v1 against if you push, and you wont know if that player has the knowledge and awareness to advance on you or flank you.

If anything, find an xvm config that will disable the chance to win rating if its that big of an issue for you. I personally never payed attention to that ever, basically forgot it existed. I only now look at it on occasion because of interest, and I never let it influence me. Its mostly based on people's winrates and average tier, and not everyone plays consistently. Ive won many of those games when your team is a bunch of apples and bananas against multiple blueberries and plums.

Yup this, turn off chance to win but leave player info on.

So here is an adventurous thought. Change the settings so everyone is white except for the Blue and Purples.

Why leave Blue and Purple? So you know who to Kill/Watch/Support.

So here is an adventurous thought. Change the settings so everyone is white except for the Blue and Purples.

Why leave Blue and Purple? So you know who to Kill/Watch/Support.

It is actually good to know who is green also. The difference in skill between bad, green, blue, and purple is large. A bad will reliably miss or shoot at autobounce, a green may hold their shot, a blue with rarely bounce/miss and similarly with a purple. I expect blue/purples to passive scout and hold shots to win a game, while bads and greens tend not to. Big difference between blue and purples is that blues tend to not run at the right time, while purples won't put themselves in geographically locked positions unless it is critical to winning. Difference between a purple and deep purple? They 3-platoon consistently and play as a team expertly. Their actual ability to shoot and move is almost no different than a high blue or purple. 

High WN8 but low WR? Probably dmg pads end of matches, I expect that player to be sitting a draw distance nearly all the time.

High WR but low WN8, the player probably has some platoon effect mixed in, or may play especially good with his/her platoon mates.

There is a lot of information and trends about players and their play-styles locked up in xvm.

It is actually good to know who is green also. The difference in skill between bad, green, blue, and purple is large. A bad will reliably miss or shoot at autobounce, a green may hold their shot, a blue with rarely bounce/miss and similarly with a purple. I expect blue/purples to passive scout and hold shots to win a game, while bads and greens tend not to. There is a lot of information and trends about players and their play-styles locked up in xvm.

High WN8 but low WR? Probably dmg pads end of matches, I expect that player to be sitting a draw distance nearly all the time.

High WR but low WN8, the player probably has some platoon effect mixed in, or may play especially good with his/her platoon mates.

I'm aware of that (except the High and Low WN8 vs WR) but I left green out so that it is still left to the imagination as to how many good/bad players there are. 

Turns off win chance: win rate plummets, wn8 laughs and stays exactly the same as it has for 2500 games...

WTF...

I'm trying to understand my own mind. I really thought that getting rid of the accursed, inaccurate, motivation killing thing would help. I'm making my own assessment of team makeup and not putting a "chance" to it, just a "ok, they have a green this and a blue platoon consisting of that, their top two heavies are oranges etc. so I need to x then y maybe z."

It's a small sample size, but it's even more demoralizing than having it on and seeing strings of doomed teams.

I also stopped looking between games at my WN8 and w/r for the session and just tried playing my very best every game.

Try harder = fail???

Sigh.

For XVM:  Information.  Process and use the information it gives you to help you win.  You can usually tell just by player ratings whether you can expect them to go to certain portions of the map.  This can help you decide your own initial position or the strategy for the game.  I find it more effective for me if I'm in a platoon against another good platoon is to not engage them directly and stay out of their firing lanes while melting the team around them as fast as poosible to create a pubbie overmatch.

Against XVM:     Someone mentioned it earlier but a player probably shouldn't know all about the driver of a tank until you meet them in combat.  Even if XVM were removed, it would just be replaced by the fame/infamy/notoriety of <Known_GoodClan> and those same players would end up focused by arty, denier tk'd or suicide rushed anyhow.

XVM also gives some advantages to the players who install and run it.  Minimap circles showing draw/spot/view range distances along with last spotted locations is HUGE. I think these should be features you can set in what should be a mini-map options/settings tab in the game settings so that it's at least available to everyone (Or make it available to no one).

Leveling the playing field in terms of the information available in the default client would help to enhance the game for everyone.  Individual player skill would be more of a factor.  So many mods do very similar things that it would make sense to implement it into the standard package in some variation.  Then again, WG implementation lives in infamy...

Difference between a purple and deep purple? They 3-platoon consistently and play as a team expertly. Their actual ability to shoot and move is almost no different than a high blue or purple. 

There is a huge difference between a 4k/5k recent WN8 player and a 2.7k recent WN8 player

A super unicum, let's say 3.4k, is a lot more situationally aware than a 2.7k player which lets them get more shots, kills, spots, etc. and they know better spots to shoot from, how to abuse their tank better, and when to defend, attack, or flee

However for every 100-WN8 notch you go up, you need to be much more skillful than the previous notch, so a 1k leap from 2k to 3k is a lot less difficult than a 3k to 4k leap

And saying that super unis get their color from platooning is just silly, there's plenty of deep purples that play solo and yet maintain their rating, and usually it doesn't fluctuate when platooning either

A 4k super uni is to a regular unicum what a yellow is to a blue, there's a sea of skill between the two, and it takes more than a platoon of 3 IS-6es to grace that

It is actually good to know who is green also. The difference in skill between bad, green, blue, and purple is large. A bad will reliably miss or shoot at autobounce, a green may hold their shot, a blue with rarely bounce/miss and similarly with a purple. I expect blue/purples to passive scout and hold shots to win a game, while bads and greens tend not to. Big difference between blue and purples is that blues tend to not run at the right time, while purples won't put themselves in geographically locked positions unless it is critical to winning. Difference between a purple and deep purple? They 3-platoon consistently and play as a team expertly. Their actual ability to shoot and move is almost no different than a high blue or purple. 

There is a lot of information and trends about players and their play-styles locked up in xvm.

i platoon mebee 40%. And when I do I play like poopy. 

Yup this, turn off chance to win but leave player info on.

tried that. sadly I can foretell based on players what the win% chance is. my scale goes from

lolstackedlame <> maybe a decent game here <> lolstackedlamebutimontheretardteam

so I took the whole thing out

Turn off the player stats for the team overview screens and just leave it on the overtarget markers. You'll still be able to see the skill of the tanks you're facing but the psychological effect of seeing a team full of reds is minimised.