So for my russian heavy crew commander can get both and i wanted to know if one was superior to the other?

Sit.Awareness

3%>2% viewrange

Edit:

Pls post a screenshot of the crew here (and tank), I have a feeling there might be other skills/perks that are more important on russian hvy tanks

Well situational awareness is 3% increased view range over recon's 2%, so that one. Recon's additional 20% view range when the observation device is damaged only comes into effect while it's broken and ceases once the device is repaired, so it's useless.

Sit.Awareness

3%>2% viewrange

Edit:

Pls post a screenshot of the crew here (and tank), I have a feeling there might be other skills/perks that are more important on russian hvy tanks

4KbTTlR.jpg

i would get it after Sixth+Bia and yeah yeah i know that bia is useless until 100% i just cba to retrain it for the last 8% or so

The IS-3 has worst in class for its tier view range. If you are planning on moving the crew to an IS-7 or IS-4 eventually that shouldn't be a problem but on the IS-3 there are other crew skills you might want to consider first. 

seems like repairs is a better choice before view range skills?

Only reason to take Recon over Situational Awareness is if you are moving the crew back and forth a lot between tanks where there is/is not a dedicated Radioman. In tanks with a Radioman, the Situational Awareness from the Commander will not apply and will be a waste of a skill.

The IS-3 has worst in class for its tier view range. If you are planning on moving the crew to an IS-7 or IS-4 eventually that shouldn't be a problem but on the IS-3 there are other crew skills you might want to consider first.

Actually, if you're going to move to the IS-7, it might make sense to take recon, because on the IS-7 the 2nd loader has the radio man skills, so the commander can't use situational awareness anyway.

I would think, though, that it wouldn't really matter, as the skills would probably be reset some time before then anyway, for something like BIA.