Private_Miros

WoTLabs World Cup Football Thread

Purpose of the thread

I know WoTLabs has a predominantly US community, where football is something you play with neither feet nor ball, and has a sizable Aussie and Kiwi population where football is about the 86th most popular sport - not to mention the loads of people who have more err... furry interests than sports -, but since we have some Europeans here and since Australia and the US are competing in the World Cup, a thread on this subject seems to me as not being completely out of place.

Pure spam will be moderated, but I do have a sense of humor. (if my sense of humour isn't the same as yours, tough luck)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the teams, the games and all varia surrounding the World Cup.

Opening Ceremony

Tomorrow, 12th June, the circus will start, in a slightly socially-unstable Brazil. I've never been a fan of opening ceremonies, so chances are I will not watch it, although I am sure it will be bootyfull and scantly-clad.

The Teams

Algeria

Argentina

Australia

Belgium

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Brazil

Cameroon

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Croatia

Ecuador

England

France

Germany

Ghana

Greece

Honduras

Iran

Italy

Ivory Coast

Japan

Mexico

Holland

Nigeria

Portugal

Russia

South Korea

Spain

Switzerland

United States

Uruguay

The big favorite is of course Brazil, a great team with home advantage. However, they miss, for the first time since ever, a strong creative attack line, relying almost fully on a young, and not always in full form, Neymar. It remains to be seen how they will handle the pressure. The other favorites are Germany, Spain and Argentina.

Personally I will be rooting for Belgium, but there also it remains to be seen how they will handle the pressure. The team also lacks full backs, and lacks tempo in their gameplay to create chances. Despite that, they do have the technical talent, with at least one world class player in every line. I am hoping for the quarter finals, but wouldn't be too surprised if pressure gets to them and they fail already in the group stages.

As outsider favorite, I am tipping France. They are all top class players, and even with Ribery out, they make a formidable opponent. They are eager to prove themselves after last WC's debacle, but at the same time, they are not under the pressure of expectations. They can play freely, and have the talent to do so.

The Opening Game

Group A:

Brazil - Croatia

-m-01352___42x22.png vs. -m-0356gk__42x22.png

A first interesting test for Brazil, who are under immense pressure to win their opening game. The opponent is Croatia, who are, as all Balkan sides, proud and tireless fighters. They also have some top class players, with Modrić, the metronome of Real Madrid, Rakitić, the football brain of Sevilla, and Mandžukić, the striker who's too good for Bayern Munich - or so he kind of claims.

On the downside, the Mandžukić is suspended for this opening game, the defensive line is not world class and rather slow, and the trainer is, yet again, a totally inexperienced friend of the Croatian FA.

I see two scenarios in this game: Or, Brazil goes full throttle and succeeds, and then I doubt the Croatians will even get the ball much; or, pressure gets the better of the Brazilian side, and the creative midfield of Croatia can make use of the mistakes of the Brazilians, who are lacking a decent controlling defensive midfield player, at which point the Balkan fighting spirit will give the Brazilians serious trouble.

In other words, expect 4-0 for Brazil, or a potential shocker with goals on both sides, and perhaps even with the Croatians sneaking off with victory at the end.

If Brazil don't underestimate Croatia they should be fine. But yeah it's etheir Brazil wreck or Croatia ninja this out.

Also, GO GERMANY!

I don't follow soccer much but one thing is certain every time the WC rolls around - I'm rooting for whoever is playing against Italy. Go Uruguay/Costa Rica/England!

To be frank, I wish I knew more about the players so I could really pick a team and stick with it. I'm a big fan of the Netherlands because they're a cool country but I know next to little about their football team.

Who would you guys say is the best football player who doesn't dive? Is that even such a thing? I've heard Ibrahimovic is hard to take down, any truth to that?

I don't follow soccer much but one thing is certain every time the WC rolls around - I'm rooting for whoever is playing against Italy. Go Uruguay/Costa Rica/England!

To be frank, I wish I knew more about the players so I could really pick a team and stick with it. I'm a big fan of the Netherlands because they're a cool country but I know next to little about their football team.

Who would you guys say is the best football player who doesn't dive? Is that even such a thing? I've heard Ibrahimovic is hard to take down, any truth to that?

As about a team and I/we will provide you with some details on the players :)

Ibrahimovic's ego keeps him upright for the most part indeed. Pity Sweden got rogered by Ronaldo in the play-offs.

As for other strikers who don't dive: Real fans will disagree, but Messi actually usually prefers to keep going after the ball even if kicked hard. Belgium's Lukaku also doesn't fall oftem, simply because most of the defenders simply bounce off.

Rooting for Argentina. I'll root for the US until they are out but I don't think they will make it out of the group stage. 

Blind patriotism here...

USA! USA! USA!

USA is generally a likable team, I find it a pity that Donovan is not there, I have huge respect for Dempsey, but in a group with Germany, Portugal and Ghana (arguably the best and most in-form African team), I'd be happy for them if they manage to grab a point...

Ill be supporting my country(netherlands) and the teams of my favourite players(Balotelli and Pirlo, Drogba, Uruguay and Germany) and also the one player from my town's club that is on the WC: Alireza Jahanbakhsh :D

Im pretty happy the dutch switched to a 5-3-2 formation as I really enjoy stealing wins with defending and countering all game2xF5BxX.gif

As long as the Australians don't have to play the Italians, I might watch it. Some of us are still pissed about 2006.

What is exactly this hate against Italy, i am interested, and what has pisses you off of the game vs Aussies? (i mean the penalty was not 100% clear but australia was inexistant on the field even with 1 man more)

I dunno, maybe the arse taking the dive. Even the ref apologised afterwards for the bad call. As for being non existent, until that penalty it was Nil all. Not like Italy had the game in the bag.

What is exactly this hate against Italy, i am interested, and what has pisses you off of the game vs Aussies? (i mean the penalty was not 100% clear but australia was inexistant on the field even with 1 man more)

A (past) history of anti-football, diving and butchering.

fifa_football_world_cup_2010_live_tv_sou

Still you pay millions to Del Piero in Australia that wouldn't even be able to see a training pitch now in Europe :D

I am Brazilian and I must say that 70% of the population is not happy with the Cup. A lot of corruption and many other problems will become evident to the whole world. We are a country full of troubles and this Cup making things worse. 
That said, go Brazil.

I am Brazilian and I must say that 70% of the population is not happy with the Cup. A lot of corruption and many other problems will become evident to the whole world. We are a country full of troubles and this Cup making things worse. 
That said, go Brazil.

I'm hoping there will be more protests like the ones of last year, would be great.

Don't care for football tho'.

Scotland can't qualify for a pub tournament right now so I suppose I'll do my usual thing, support England until they get hoofed out in the second round and then I'll support whichever team has taken my interest during the tournament (Japan was my favorite last time because they played some amazingly creative football). My girlfriend is half Dutch so she's on the orange bandwagon. Their team is a bit creaky though. 

I don't see a Canadian team in there, so I shall continue to not follow it.

Considering that Canada has made the World Cup Finals once (Mexico City/1984?) and didn't make it to the US one (where CONCAF gets to send another team) don't hold your breath of ever cheering for a team. Time to pick a proxy team!

I'll be rooting for my home country of Bosnia. Hoping for a draw against Argentina but even if we lose against them we should be second in our group. They won't win it but they might be able to make the quarter finals. I also think people are over estimating how good Argentina is and wouldn't put them in the top 3 favorites.

I find it interesting that the oddsmakers have predicted that Italy won't make it out of the group stage.

Same with the Netherlands.

Should be interesting. 

Interesting analysis, Miros.  What do you think of the US' chances?  I respect the hell out of Donovan's achievements for the US, but he did not belong on this team.  You don't get to take a vacation and laze your way through training and still expect to make the team.

Also, on a somewhat related note, what's the general EU feeling on the Qatar Cup?  It's pretty universally believed to have been bought among Americans who pay attention.